Wilco as literature

Wilco as literature

Music aside the Wilco discography is also very literate or at least since Summerteeth.

So not counting the music take out your lyric sheets and share your thoughts.

Personally as books of poetry this is how I rank them

(And yes I know there is actually a Jeff Tweedy poetry book)

AGIB

YHF

SBS

ST

BT

A.M

For me AGIB reads the best without music especially Hell is Chrome

and Company in my back.

YHF obviously has some great moments and can be recited like poetry or nursery rhymes. My favorites are Kamera and Poor Places and well obviously IATTBYH

This might sound stupid to some of you but sit their and try to read the In Rainbows lyrics not so much fun.

discuss

Yeah I hear you. My last vacation was spent with a broken CD player and no iPod, but I did have A Ghost Is Born in the car, so I read and reread the lyrics many a times. Their is definitely some poetic gold to be found even without the music. My favorite songs were (like you said) Hell is Chrome and Handshake Drugs. Poor Places is my favorite othe wise.

I'm not going outside.

Hell is Chrome (under Hell), Muzzle of Bees (under Muzzle), I'm A Wheel, Company (under Pure Bug Beauty) all appear in Adult Head, with some differences. There is also a piece called "Unlikely Japan."

Adult Head is one of my favorite stand alone collections, and I'd consider myself a fairly big poetry fan. As for reading lyric books, I tend to only do that when I've got a gatefold in front of me, and having been dealing with a broken cartridge for almost a year now, I'm gonna need some time to get back to you.

Hell is Chrome (under Hell), Muzzle of Bees (under Muzzle), I'm A Wheel, Company (under Pure Bug Beauty) all appear in Adult Head, with some differences. There is also a piece called "Unlikely Japan."

Adult Head is one of my favorite stand alone collections, and I'd consider myself a fairly big poetry fan. As for reading lyric books, I tend to only do that when I've got a gatefold in front of me, and having been dealing with a broken cartridge for almost a year now, I'm gonna need some time to get back to you.

I bought Adult Head during the recent tour and the expanded poems add some perspective to the AGIB music.

I completely agree and would also rank them lyrically the same way except for the SBS and ST swap.

Half the reason AGIB is my favorite Wilco album, and half the reason Wilco is one of my favorite bands is because of lyrical excellence. There really are very few outstanding lyricists out there who also put out quality music.

I completely agree and would also rank them lyrically the same way except for the SBS and ST swap.

Half the reason AGIB is my favorite Wilco album, and half the reason Wilco is one of my favorite bands is because of lyrical excellence. There really are very few outstanding lyricists out there who also put out quality music.

I agree. While SBS touches the heart and sensibilities a bit, ST attacks you with a range of emotions.

I agree. While SBS touches the heart and sensibilities a bit, ST attacks you with a range of emotions.

Fer sure. SBS's lyrics are consistently solid, but ST's lyrics are absolutely devastating at times. Jar and Via Chicago are standouts, but I also think Candyfloss ("bitter diamond drunks") is overlooked and too easily dismissed (maybe b/c its hidden : ).