zz top, rick rubin and the black keys

Could be interesting...

DETROIT (Billboard) -- Texas rock band ZZ Top is gearing up for its next album -- its first with high-profile producer Rick Rubin.

"I've known Rick for 20 years and we've waited for this opportunity for a double decade," guitarist Billy F. Gibbons said of the band's new deal with Rubin's Columbia-distributed American Recordings imprint.

"I've not sat down with him pointedly to get down to business just yet, but I feel very comfortable working within the framework that he envisions. He's got a good feel on the pulse, and I'm very interested in what he might have in mind."

Gibbons told Billboard.com that Rubin -- whose many producing credits include records by Johnny Cash, Neil Diamond, the Dixie Chicks, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Green Day -- has forwarded one idea, that of hooking up ZZ Top with blues-rock duo the Black Keys for songwriting and possibly recording.

"I'm such a big fan of those guys ... It makes total sense," said Gibbons, who first checked out the Black Keys during a fall 2005 show at New York's Irving Plaza. "And that's pretty down and dirty, which is good for ZZ Top."

Gibbons does already have some new material, from a two-week studio session he did in May with a couple of engineers, during which he said he "managed to squeeze out 15 tunes.

"It was just me kickin' back and having a good time," Gibbons recalled. "We did everything from a black church gospel ballad to updated versions of 'Rollin' and Tumblin',' did some Jimmy Reed take-off things, just keeping that bluesy thread throughout. I think that as long as we maintain that blues tradition, the material takes on an identity that's easily digestible, at least in terms of what our fans have asked for."

ZZ Top will release an expanded 25th anniversary "Eliminator (Collector's Edition) on Tuesday (August 26), and Gibbons has recorded a version of Chuck Berry's "Run, Rudolph, Run" with Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl and Motorhead's Lemmy Kilmister for the "Metal Christmas" compilation, due this fall.

The Black Keys mention sounds interesting, otherwise I'm sick of elderly people asking Rubin to make them relevant.

That sounds harsher than I meant it to, but you get what I'm saying

The Black Keys mention sounds interesting, otherwise I'm sick of elderly people asking Rubin to make them relevant.

That sounds harsher than I meant it to, but you get what I'm saying

How could you possibly take offense at 'elderly people asking Rubin to make them relevant'? I wish Rubin would hook up with more artists that could have something left to offer.

Rick Rubin tainted Johnny Cash's posthumous work, I will never forgive him for that.

Um, how? I'm not the biggest Rubin fan but his work with Cash not only reinvigorated the Man in Black but helped him produce some of the best work of his career.

How could you possibly take offense at 'elderly people asking Rubin to make them relevant'? I wish Rubin would hook up with more artists that could have something left to offer.

I don't take offense. I like what he does. But there are other great producers out there. I find it more comical than anything. It's kind of become a cliche. Like moving to Florida and eating dinner at 4:30.

To my way of thinking I think this is great for all involved. Rubin has an ear for music and does well by his clients. I used to like ZZ circa 76 - Deguello and he has reinvigorated the careers of "the elderly". I can't wait to hear how the key's sound under his tutelage.

His work with Cash is wonderful, getting him to record modern rock songwriters and making them sound right at home next to traditional numbers, genius. As far as tainting Cash, Rubin can't release anything without the Cash family approving and he could not record a damned thing without Johnny actually sitting there in font of him. Sure he sounds older and more worn out on the last couple albums, especially V, but it definately catches Cash as he was at the moment. And if the liner notes are accurate then I have no problem whatsoever.

Rick Rubin tainted Johnny Cash's posthumous work, I will never forgive him for that.

Can you elaborate on this? People seem to be taking offense, but since you say posthumous, are you referring to the yet to be release American VI?

Or are you just trying to be funny?

I didn't know Johnny was still recording posthumously.

Hmm. I'd like to know how Rubin ruined it. The only thing I can think of is that he's responsible for American VI's release date getting pushed back (was supposed to come out last fall, then this summer). The previous work he did with Cash is amazing.

I don't really know, I love the old Cash stuff, and Cash just by himself is even more awesome, and then and Rubin comes in with all his junk. It's just a knee-jerk reaction, I suppose, because the albums never came off to me that well, and I fucking hate Green Day.

Rubin and his junk? Overproduction is exactly what I think of when I hear the Rubin/Cash albums //sarcasim off.

Most of the production seems fairly even handed to me. I think some of the later material is fairly uneven (the box set particularly...) and IV is just plain sad and upsetting to me, but then we have discussed this here before.

LouieB

I think in some ways, he has become like Linda Perry/Desmond Child - that is, someone who works with an artist from that past, in their attempts to regain some of the former glory they once knew.

Most of the production seems fairly even handed to me. I think some of the later material is fairly uneven (the box set particularly...) and IV is just plain sad and upsetting to me, but then we have discussed this here before.

LouieB

IV or V? I love IV The man comes around is one of my all time favorite Cash songs. On V he sounds weary and drained...and he was. Buty if the Rubin nartrative is correct, and I have no reason to doubt it, the songs were recorded at the behest of JC.

just bought some zz top tix for a show here in November.

I don't believe any new material will move mountains, but if they are able to capture even a portion of the spirit they once had, then sign me up.

ZZTop001_small.jpg

• 2 months later...

ZZ TOP

Amarillo Civic Center Nov. 1, 2008

Got Me Under Pressure

Waitin for the Bus

Jesus Just Left Chicago

Chevrolet

Pincushion

Future Blues

Cheap Sunglasses

I Need You Tonight

Catfish Blues

Hey Joe

Heard It On The X

Just Got Paid

Gimme All Your Lovin

Sharp Dressed Man

Legs

La Grange/Sloppy Drunk/Bar-B-Q Medley

Tush

Last show of the current tour in smaller venues. Billy did a mean one-handed guitar solo during I Need You Tonight. Looking forward to the future collaboration with The Black Keys.

ZZ_Top.jpg

Billy_Gibbins.jpg