Canadian election thread

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really bums me out that even tho 90% of Canadians are anti-Bush, we're still about to elect another conservative government. We're fucking idiots and we deserve what we get.

I heard an author on the radio talking about how voters aren't trustworthy, or even qualified to do the deed. I think I'd have to agree.

It really bums me out that even tho 90% of Canadians are anti-Bush, we're still about to elect another conservative government. We're fucking idiots and we deserve what we get.

I heard an author on the radio talking about how voters aren't trustworthy, or even qualified to do the deed. I think I'd have to agree.

Right now, the votes on the left and centre-left are split several ways, so it's hard.

I try to be strategic. I usually vote NDP or Liberal, depending on the candidate - i.e., the one who appears to have a better chance of defeating a Conservative.

Right now, the votes on the left and centre-left are split several ways, so it's hard.

I try to be strategic. I usually vote NDP or Liberal, depending on the candidate - i.e., the one who appears to have a better chance of defeating a Conservative.

Yup, same here.

This is my second election, last time I voted Liberal and immediately regretted it. This time: NDP! Even though I kind of hate the NDP... I kind of hate all them though. I'm more looking forward to municipal elections in November, if I'm going to elect the people that are going to fuck me over, I'd rather elect the ones I can run into at Cosco and call them a giant douche.

EDIT:

Politically, this riding has been amongst the most right-wing in Canada, electing Progressive Conservative MP Frank Oberle from 1972-1993, and Conservative Jay Hill since that point. One of the reasons for this could be a lack of Liberal campaigning.

Probably true, I don't even know who the liberal candidate is. We did have a Marxist-Leninist candidate a few years ago who got 101 votes. 99 of those votes were probably from 18 year olds.

you have to be even more strtegic than that, see who is competitive in your ridding if its tight between the liberals and conservatives then vote liberal

if its tight between the conservatives and ndp vote Ndp . Pretty simple stuff, if you live in Alberta get a brain Harpers from Ontario he's using you cowboys.

My preference would be a Liberal minority govt. w/ a strong showing from the NDP.

Yep. My predictions, however, remain dire for this fall.

Conservative majority in Canada, McCain/Palin in the U.S.

I don't want to see it, but we'd all better get used to the idea.

P.S., Please, for the love of fuck, vote Liberal, guys, no matter what riding you're in. It's really our only chance.

P.S., Please, for the love of fuck, vote Liberal, guys, no matter what riding you're in. It's really our only chance.

I don't necessarily agree with this. If you live in a riding with a strong NDP candidate, and then vote Liberal and split the vote, and the Conservative candidate wins, that will end up resulting in exactly what you are trying to avoid.

Y'know the cuts to the arts funding thing has really got me pissed. It's not the actual cuts that bother me so much, although they do, but it's the reason why they are being proposed.

They are aimed not at the arts but to garner the support of the people who don't care about anything artistic.

There is no value in voting for someone to lead a country when their campaign strategy is all about dividing it.

Their strategy is all about appealing to 39% of the population (or whatever the magic number is to get a majority).

The interesting thing with arts cuts is that the only place it really received significant attention was Quebec. Which the Conservatives are really focussed on. And this is hurting them there now. And they are retreating on arts. Which only goes to confirm exactly what you said - very cynical and opportunist platform.

Frustrating that none of the parties, except perhaps the Greens, have run a good Campaign.

The one cool thing about all of this is the extra boost the Prime Minister has given to the Holy Fuck cd. As an example of the 'wrong type of music', it will win this weekend's Polaris Prize. A giant 'Holy Fuck You'

How not to elect Harper

If we split our votes:

Conservative 141

Liberal 73

NDP 35

Green 0

Bloc 57

IND 2

If we vote strategically:

Conservative 97

Liberal 109

NDP 46

Green 1

Bloc 53

IND 2

Thanks Judy.

My riding:

http://www.voteforenvironment.ca/node/607

did an advance pol on Friday Night and clairvoyantly went with the site's recommendation.

I know the NDP candidate fairly well. In addition to him being an idiot, the NDP, at the riding level is made up of a bunch of losers who I want nothing to do with.

Shame, because in the 80's I worked my ass off for Dan Heap in Trin-Spadina.