ive had their albums for a while now but never really listened. recently ive listened to their last 3 albums and i have become a fan. my favorite album from them currently is Because of the times. its good soulful rockin stuff.

Each album has a distinctive flavor to it, yet has a sense of commonality with the others. For me right now I listen to Because... the most becuse is just resonates with me more than the others. They all have a "smokey flavor" to them for lack of a better term, that I like.

I absolutely love Youth and Young Manhood and Aha Shake Heartbreak. Because of the Times was a big letdown for me...I'm hoping the new one is a return to form. :yes

hate to say it, but the new one is more like the last than those first two :ohwell

it's mellower on the whole though than the last

i thought the last one had some killer songs, but the sound and overall tone of the record was kinda butt/glam-rock-ish. my favorite thing is still the Holy Roller Novocaine EP.

i like this band a decent bit, but the critics/fans claiming they're the best US rock band around need their head examined :stunned

hate to say it, but the new one is more like the last than those first two :ohwell

it's mellower on the whole though than the last

Sigh. :ohwell (Edit: Hook a sister up?)

Still, there were some decent songs on Because of the Times, so maybe the new one won't be all bad. :ermm

Bob Lefsetz

Kings Of Leon #1!

The most fascinating story of today is in the "New York Times". Wherein professors are revolting against the high prices of textbooks. And releasing their own works online, for free! In one case forgoing a $100,000 advance. The silver lining? Greater distribution. A wider spread of the information.

As Jackson Browne would say, they

That was a good read A-Man! :thumbup

I feel the songs like Molly's Chambers, Four Kicks, Taper-Jean Girl and Soft might never return. I really like On Call, but noticed the change in their approach after the last album. I have it, but never play it. So far, their myspace page is playing what seems to be a continuation of this approach by the band and so I'm not as excited.

Without hesitation, I would see them live, though.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got done listening to the new album for the first time. It's not bad, but it does seem a little safe to me. What I've always liked about KOL is their willingness to take some risks and change their style from album to album. I wasn't as big a fan of Because of the Times as I was of their first two albums, both of which I loved, but it still had a lot of songs on it I really liked, and a nice variety of songs. This album is three rockers followed by a bunch of mid-tempo songs, which got a little boring.

As much as I love U2, I think KOL's stint opening for them may have been a bad thing--this album has that same overpolished sound I've disliked on the last few U2 albums.