RIP David Foster Wallace

I hope fans aren't offended by this. I haven't read the article yet, but the headline was way too funny to not post:

NASCAR Cancels Remainder of Season After David Foster Wallace's Death

I had a good laugh at that one, this one is great as well: Girlfriend Stops Reading David Foster Wallace Breakup Letter at page 20

Thank you for posting the commencement address...I had never read that, it is beautiful and brilliant as all his work is.I know several people who could use those words of wisdom. I'm still crushed yet I don't think I have every laughed out loud as much as I did when I read ASFTINDA so I think I'll get that out . Such a loss for all of us. Genius and sadness go together too often.

• 1 month later...

I purchased the issue, but for those interested or unaware of its existence, Rolling Stone has made available online (in its entirety) its truly excellent, David Lipsky reported article The Lost Years and Last Days of David Foster Wallace. There are some really great revelations both sad and funny (and really quite touching) that will be of interest to his fans and readers. Much of it is really dark and depressing and can make for some pretty difficult reading

Wow. As a fellow writer and depressive and human being, I feel really badly for him.

Wow. As a fellow writer and depressive and human being, I feel really badly for him.

The Black Dog won in Foster's case. She is a brutal bitch at times.

• 5 months later...
I think there's another DFW thread, but this is the first I found. Thought some of you, esp. Good Old Neon would find this interesting. As I haven't read Infinite Jest, I didn't read the article, but a friend forwarded it.

The Royal Tenenbaums and Infinite Jest

Wes Anderson tops my list of possible IJ directors

When it comes to books, my mind's eye is my favorite director and adapted screenplay writer. If this movie happens, I won't see it. No way it can enhance the book. And a very good chance it will hurt the book. The last thing I need is to get a pic of Luke Wilson in my head when I am reading about Hal.

Also, G.O.N., I picked up Oblivion and let's just say I read your namesake. For fuck's sake, what a great short story.