From the article:

"the Volt will be able to run for up to about 40 miles without using gasoline".

and:

"As the battery begins to run down as the car is in use, a small gasoline engine will turn on and generate enough electricity to drive the car about 300 miles."

So after 40 miles, the Volt is just a regular gasoline powered car?

I guess I glossed over that sentence. I wonder how much gas the tank holds. Two gallons for 260 miles worth of electric power wouldn't be TOO bad. Any more than that defeats the purpose. I'm holding out for an electric vehicle that can get more like 100 miles per charge and uses no gasoline at all.

There was an interesting article Atlantic Monthly a few months back about the Volt and how it's GM's last attempt to salvage itself. It sounds like it 's a long way from working the way they want it to. But if it does, they could really give Toyota and everyone else a run for the money.

:unsure

wow, that sounds pretty stupid

:unsure is that seriously out of line?

I think it is, yes. GM has already demonstrated that it can bring a fully electric passenger car to market, but are unwilling to abandon a platform that is sans a combustion engine. To do so would relinquish a great deal of profit obtained from the maintenance of that traditional powertrain.

I'd love to own a fully electric car and think there are a great many others who'd be willing to take that leap if it were affordable enough. GM has the opportunity to really move ahead of the pack here, and seriously capitalize on the EV1's success. I just don't think they have the balls to do it.

I'd love to own a fully electric car and think there are a great many others who'd be willing to take that leap if it were affordable enough. GM has the opportunity to really move ahead of the pack here, and seriously capitalize on the EV1's success. I just don't think they have the balls to do it.

Yep. Could have been done many many years ago.

So after 40 miles, the Volt is just a regular gasoline powered car?

The primary use of most passenger cars is to commute to/from work and the occasional trip to the store. Most people could do their commuting and make short trips without ever firing up the gasoline engine. It's a big deal.

Yep. Could have been done many many years ago.

Additionally, @ 40 miles per charge strictly on battery ( which is the point of an electric vehicle anyway ) it would leave me uncomfortable with a 37 mile commute each way.

Plus, the Volt is butt ugly. Aesthetics are a consideration in any car purchase.

I think the afforable bit is where the problem comes in.

It would be interesting to see where it would fall dollar wise, @ MSRP and with Gov./State incentives factored in.

Betting it would be cheaper than one would think.

The primary use of most passenger cars is to commute to/from work and the occasional trip to the store. Most people could do their commuting and make short trips without ever firing up the gasoline engine. It's a big deal.

I don't know if I believe that. I don't think it is realistic in my city. I'm not saying the Volt is a failure, it's just not what I'm hoping to purchase.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=89231809

"The average Atlanta resident with a job drives 66 miles every day."

My car on average gets driven about 10 miles a day. That's probably a stretch because there are a lot of days it never leaves the driveway.

Jay drives 52 miles a day, just to work and back. That doesn't count if he has to run errands on his lunch hour or if he goes anywhere after work.

Most of the people who live where I do drive at least 50-80 miles to and from work every day. I'm about 30 miles southwest of Ann Arbor, but I live in a town with a population of about 2500. There just aren't jobs here.