so, for years i have been saying neil young is my all time favorite artist. however, i am finally coming to grips with the fact that i basically can't listen to half his catalog. so i am deleting all of that crap from my ipod. this is also happening with my other favorite bands...wilco, dylan, etc. anyone else have this issue? i have tried for years to really like 'all of neil' and 'all of dylan'...and i do, in my head, but in reality some of it is cringe worthy!

good for you.

I am in a phase where I hate most of my music, and any new music I hear is crap.

So I have been filling my iPod up with movies and TV shows.

dude, i am right there with you. hate most of the old, and new. i wanna get all the wes anderson films on my ipod and go from there.

dude, i am right there with you. hate most of the old, and new. i wanna get all the wes anderson films on my ipod and go from there.

those where the first movies I ever put on my iPod.

If you are looking for a good program to rip DVD's to iPod format you should try Handbrake

I also filly my iPod up with podcasts too.

i am a HUGE neil fan, but i don't have his entire catalouge... however much i can appreciate his really weird stuff, i don't think i will ever be able to listen to it all the way through, same with the overtly crude frank zappa stuff.

so, for years i have been saying neil young is my all time favorite artist. however, i am finally coming to grips with the fact that i basically can't listen to half his catalog. so i am deleting all of that crap from my ipod. this is also happening with my other favorite bands...wilco, dylan, etc. anyone else have this issue? i have tried for years to really like 'all of neil' and 'all of dylan'...and i do, in my head, but in reality some of it is cringe worthy!

I have plenty of space on mine, so until I find myself in a crunch, I'll leave everything on it.

i am a HUGE neil fan, but i don't have his entire catalouge... however much i can appreciate his really weird stuff, i don't think i will ever be able to listen to it all the way through, same with the overtly crude frank zappa stuff.

same way with zappa for me too. and with neil, it is really hard to listen to old ways, landing on water, and blue notes all the way through. really bad

I've definitely become more discerning regarding what I put on my iPod. I tend to get a bit obsessive regarding my current favorite songs/bands and hunt down all their recordings and overdose. About 2 months ago, my iPod and Computer crashed back to back and I lost everything. I upgraded my iPod, but have been very selective about what I put on there and what I keep on there and it's been a revelation. Makes the music listening experience all the better. There's something psychological that goes on when you just have too much crap and muddled b.s. on your iPod that you've got to wade through. Plus, when you are exclusive about what you put on there, your random mixes are so much better...although, I do have all 360+ podcasts of "This American Life" on there which causes some difficulty on the random setting.

I can't comment on Neil, but I've found that being a completist is highly overrated.

I love Neil Young, let me say that right off the bat.

I have 17 albums worth of Neil Young on my IPod, and of those, I can listen to 8 of them. The others are just there, sitting in my ITunes like a bunch of read-books.

As for Dylan, I feel like he's got some of the best songs ever written, and some of the most overrated. He hasn't released anything good since 1996, and he's done. I have 25 Dylan records, I listen to 6.

The only artists I can honestly say I like all of is Wilco (16 records and bootlegs), The National, and Elvis Costello (36!).

Guest Hollinger.

Until recently I had all of Neil Young's albums on my ipod. About a month ago, I got tired to skipping so much of it that I had to pare it down to:

- Neil Young

- Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

- After The Gold Rush

- Harvest

- On The Beach

- Tonight's The Night

- Zuma

- Long May You Run

- American Stars N Bars

- Comes A Time

- Rust Never Sleeps

- Life

- Freedom

- Ragged Glory

- Harvest Moon

- Sleeps With Angels

- Mirror Ball

- Greendale

- Prairie Wind

- Chrome Dreams II

More or less... I kinda cut out the 80s. I can't find it in my heart to get rid of any of Dylan's albums though.

I've definitely become more discerning regarding what I put on my iPod. I tend to get a bit obsessive regarding my current favorite songs/bands and hunt down all their recordings and overdose. About 2 months ago, my iPod and Computer crashed back to back and I lost everything. I upgraded my iPod, but have been very selective about what I put on there and what I keep on there and it's been a revelation. Makes the music listening experience all the better. There's something psychological that goes on when you just have too much crap and muddled b.s. on your iPod that you've got to wade through. Plus, when you are exclusive about what you put on there, your random mixes are so much better...although, I do have all 360+ podcasts of "This American Life" on there which causes some difficulty on the random setting.

I can't comment on Neil, but I've found that being a completist is highly overrated.

right on! i just went ape shit over being a completist over springsteen, dylan, neil young, postrock, wilco/UT/Son volt etc. like you, it was just all too much! although i love the ipod, it is so easy to just put so much crap on there and so liberating to put only the best stuff on there. i ask myself-do i really care if i ever hear this song again? if the answer is no, then it goes away! glad to find some kindred spirits.

Rider, he clearly isn't your favorite artist. I guess it sounded cool though.

well said shakey- damn, i really wanted him to be my favorite!! :realmad

I think you can highlight those podcasts in itunes and click "get info" and there's an option for "skip when shuffleing".

On topic, I try to only keep the albums I listen to on my ipod. The problem is if there's a song or two that I don't like on an album I generally do like, I can't bear to delete part of an album.

I think some of you need to getb the 160 GB iPod.I've only filled up a little more than half of it and I'm still finding good shit to listen to that I forgot I had even put on it.

I listened to that Built to Spill album in it's entirety (the one with "It's Just a Habit" on it) for the first time last week. It's been on the iPod for over a year.

I used to be a completist, but found myself buying music I detested made by artists I liked. Now I just pick up what appeals to me and If I don't care for it I don't get it, in the past this would have made me jittery like a junkie looking for afix. Now its no big deal.

I used to be a completist, but found myself buying music I detested made by artists I liked. Now I just pick up what appeals to me and If I don't care for it I don't get it, in the past this would have made me jittery like a junkie looking for afix. Now its no big deal.

well said. as another poster said, it's been difficult for me to just put the songs i like on the ipod and leave other tunes from the album off. also, it's so hard to not have 'everything' by an artist. but, its becoming less of a deal.

Based on some of your past comments regarding Neil, I could have saved you the trouble and just told you he isn't your favorite artist. :lol

cortez-

part of the fun of having a favorite artist is being critical of them and falling in love and detesting certain parts of their output...so i take your post personally!!! joke :cheekkiss

There's plenty of really ugly warts in the Neil Young catalog. This point is really beyond a matter of opinion. Landing on Water is pretty much unlistenable. Most, not all, most of his 1980's output is pretty much garbage. His little Geffen pissing match and the personal turmoil in his life made much of that decade forgettable. The guy is a very eccentric dude who has released a lot of music over the last 40+ years. Most of it is excellent. There's definitely some misses in there, but come on. The list of quality albums the man has released is staggering.

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

After the Gold Rush

Harvest

Time Fades Away

On the Beach

Tonight's the Night

Zuma

Long May You Run

American Stars 'n Bars

Comes a Time

Rust Never Sleeps

Live Rust

Freedom

Ragged Glory

Weld

Harvest Moon

Sleeps With Angels

Mirror Ball

Broken Arrow

Silver & Gold

Greendale

Prairie Wind

Living With War

Chrome Dreams II

The Live Archives Series has been excellent as well. There's also tons of unreleased nuggets sitting in vaults or floating around out there. Plug the stuff listed above onto your iPod and you'll have plenty of Neil to listen to for the next couple of decades.

The Live Archives Series has been excellent as well. There's also tons of unreleased nuggets sitting in vaults or floating around out there. Plug the stuff listed above onto your iPod and you'll have plenty of Neil to listen to for the next couple of decades.

well said. i am moving in that direction. glad to see you like broken arrow. can't believe the critics panned it. i think it is at least as good as ragged glory, if not better. Big Time, Loose Change, Scattered...great stuff. also, those nuggets you talked about, my hunch is we'll see them on archives II, if it ever comes out. :thumbup