favorite release of the year, thusly

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I knew I liked your musical tastes!

My fav too. Though I the new Ben Folds too.

i just started listening to the new Folds last week... it's quite good. not one of my faves on the year, but easily his best/most consistent since his first solo album.

re: Blitzen Trapper...

that album makes me want to write a screenplay with it as the soundtrack...

I like the Blitzen Trapper album, but it's not nearly as good as their last one.

while i liked WMN a lot, it was inconsistent in spots... it was closer to my top 20-25 in '06 i think

that and the songwriting on this album is just heads above anything on their previous 3 albums minus a few tracks here and there (title cut from WMN, etc.)

i've never really felt Eric was all that great of a lyricist until this record either. have always felt they were a very GOOD band, but now i consider them a great band with this release.

School of Language -- Sea From Shore

Picked this up recently and it blew me away instantly. "Rockist Part 4" is a great closer. I'm a little surprised that The Week That Was seems to be getting the better overall reviews of the two releases (or, at least more publicity).

while i liked WMN a lot, it was inconsistent in spots... it was closer to my top 20-25 in '06 i think

that and the songwriting on this album is just heads above anything on their previous 3 albums minus a few tracks here and there (title cut from WMN, etc.)

i've never really felt Eric was all that great of a lyricist until this record either. have always felt they were a very GOOD band, but now i consider them a great band with this release.

I would agree that the new album is more consistent, but the highlights of Wild Mountain Nation (the title track, Country Caravan, Woof & Warp, the Green King Sings) are a lot better than anything on Furr.

After listening to the samples online, and hearing a few on NPR last night, it may turn out to be this one when all is said and done:

l68227eef61.jpg

Beto Villares - Beto Villares

Now I just have to buy it and find out for sure.

I would agree that the new album is more consistent, but the highlights of Wild Mountain Nation (the title track, Country Caravan, Woof & Warp, the Green King Sings) are a lot better than anything on Furr.

agree to disagree again, sorry :)

the title cut on Furr > title cut on WMN, as amazing as WMN is as a song. i'd probably put 4-5 songs on Furr ahead of anything BT has released prior

You sticking with that one?

No, as I have not heard it yet.

It's still the Happy Ashtray record that I mentioned earlier in the thread. But if that Beto Villares record pans out as cool as it sounds like it could... you never know.

agree to disagree again, sorry :)

the title cut on Furr > title cut on WMN, as amazing as WMN is as a song. i'd probably put 4-5 songs on Furr ahead of anything BT has released prior

I must admit that I've had "Not Your Lover" stuck in my head for about 36 hours straight now.

I said it in Now Playing, but it's The Death Set "Worldwide". No, it's prolly not the best record of the year, maybe in the top 50? I just made a connection with these punk dudes, and I don't know exactly why, but I love it. But maintain normal expectations, it's fun punk, quite catchy.

http://www.thedeathset.com/

51ow3dF-DnL.jpg

here you can hear Negative Thinking

http://hypem.com/track/662624/TheDeathSet-Negative+Thinking

Had A Bird

And here they are on pfork tv - part 1

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/down...dio-1087-part-1

And Live it's nuts, a ton of fun