Maybe they did it to make space for the Mindy Kaling show. Pretty soon, NBC will just be Office spin-offs, and Office copy-cat shows.

as long as they keep renewing "Chuck", I'll be happy.

It was funny enough for a while but I felt they were just beating it to death really. Not as bad as how they raped the corpse of Scrubs but still..

Though never dubbed Must-See TV, "My Name is Earl," which followed a petty crook on the road to redemption, had a strong following and actually delivered its fair share of laughs. Over the course of four seasons, Earl (played to perfection by man-boy extraordinaire, Jason Lee) mixed and mingled with some of the weirdest and wackiest characters to ever grace the small screen, including one of TV's funniest females, 2006 Best Supporting Actress winner Jamie Pressly, who portrayed Joy Farrah Darville-Hickey-Turner, a trailer trash she-devil with a heart of coal. But, after 96 episodes and innumerable El Camino, DNA test, and STD jokes, NBC decided to dump the show in favor of hanging onto Amy Poehler's questionable new program, "Parks and Recreation"

• 3 weeks later...

Hollywood Reporter.com

My Name Is Earl' might see new life on TBS

Cable network in talks to order 13 new episodes

By Nellie Andreeva

June 8, 2009, 07:09 PM ET

Updated: June 8, 2009, 09:36 PM ET

hr/photos/stylus/84785-my_name_is_earl_341x182.jpg

"My Name Is Earl"

"My Name Is Earl" might live on.

TBS is in preliminary talks to order 13 new episodes of the single-camera comedy from 20th Century Fox TV, sources said.

The news comes a couple of weeks after NBC pulled the plug on the 4-year-old series starring Jason Lee in what became one of the highest-profile cancellations of the upfront season.

Ever since "Earl" was put on the bubble for renewal at NBC in the spring, rumors began circulating that the series, which has won five Emmys, might look for another home. Early speculation included 20th TV's sister network Fox, whose entertainment president Kevin Reilly launched "Earl" while at NBC, and ABC, which has been open to acquiring series that have aired on other networks.

"Earl" would make a good fit at TBS, which will run repeats of the offbeat comedy beginning in the fall as part of an off-network syndication deal with Twentieth TV inked in 2007.

Still, sources stressed that the conversations between 20th TV and TBS for new episodes are in the very early stages, and a deal is far from a lock as the sides have to figure out whether an expensive network single-camera series can be produced under a basic cable network's economic model.

Also, while still under a hold at 20th TV, "Earl's" cast has not been lined up for a lower-budget reincarnation.

A cable afterlife for canceled broadcast series often is considered, especially for shows with a devoted fan base, but the idea rarely pans out.

In 2005, Showtime flirted with the idea of picking up Fox's Emmy-winning single-camera comedy "Arrested Development" after it was canceled, but a deal couldn't be reached.

It is easier when the cable network is part of the corporate family.

In 2007, the NBC drama "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" moved to sister cable network USA, with the broadcast network getting a second window on the crime series. The show, which underwent budget trims, is produced by UMS, another NBC Universal entity.

'My Name Is Earl' might see new life on TBS

Cable network in talks to order 13 new episodes

By Nellie Andreeva

June 8, 2009, 07:09 PM ET

Updated: June 8, 2009, 09:36 PM ET

"My Name Is Earl" might live on.

TBS is in preliminary talks to order 13 new episodes of the single-camera comedy from 20th Century Fox TV, sources said.

The news comes a couple of weeks after NBC pulled the plug on the 4-year-old series starring Jason Lee in what became one of the highest-profile cancellations of the upfront season.

Ever since "Earl" was put on the bubble for renewal at NBC in the spring, rumors began circulating that the series, which has won five Emmys, might look for another home. Early speculation included 20th TV's sister network Fox, whose entertainment president Kevin Reilly launched "Earl" while at NBC, and ABC, which has been open to acquiring series that have aired on other networks.

"Earl" would make a good fit at TBS, which will run repeats of the offbeat comedy beginning in the fall as part of an off-network syndication deal with Twentieth TV inked in 2007.

Still, sources stressed that the conversations between 20th TV and TBS for new episodes are in the very early stages, and a deal is far from a lock as the sides have to figure out whether an expensive network single-camera series can be produced under a basic cable network's economic model.

Also, while still under a hold at 20th TV, "Earl's" cast has not been lined up for a lower-budget reincarnation.

A cable afterlife for canceled broadcast series often is considered, especially for shows with a devoted fan base, but the idea rarely pans out.

In 2005, Showtime flirted with the idea of picking up Fox's Emmy-winning single-camera comedy "Arrested Development" after it was canceled, but a deal couldn't be reached.

It is easier when the cable network is part of the corporate family.

In 2007, the NBC drama "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" moved to sister cable network USA, with the broadcast network getting a second window on the crime series. The show, which underwent budget trims, is produced by UMS, another NBC Universal entity.

'Earl' won't move to TBS

Show creators could not make economics work out

By Nellie Andreeva

June 11, 2009, 03:15 PM ET

Updated: June 11, 2009, 03:36 PM ET

"My Name Is Earl"

"My Name Is Earl" will be no more.

Despite interest from TBS to continue the canceled NBC series with new episodes, producing studio 20th Century Fox TV and creator-executive producer Greg Garcia have opted not to move forward after examining all the cuts they had to make in order to produce the broadcast series for cabler TBS.

"Greg Garcia's brilliant 'My Name Is Earl' kept America laughing for the past four seasons and certainly deserved to continue for many more," 20th TV said in a statement Thursday.

"While we had hoped to find a way to produce additional episodes for TBS, in the final analysis we simply could not make the economics work without seriously undermining the artistic integrity of the series. As none of us, Greg included, want the show to go out on anything but a high note, we regret that we must put to rest any speculation that 'Earl' will continue.

"We are grateful to everyone at TBS for their enthusiasm for the series and wish to offer our heartfelt thanks to the cast and crew of 'My Name Is Earl' for their incredible work."

“Earl” will still run on TBS. Beginning in the fall, the cable network will run the four seasons of the offbeat comedy as part of an off-network syndication deal with Twentieth TV inked in 2007.