Christ for President in Religulous

Taking a practical approach, which seems more likely? The billions of religious people around the world will see the error of their ways and join in a secular brave new world or the embrace an ecumenical approach that means treating all people -- religious or not -- equally. Granted, neither seems likely anytime soon.

Maker, you must not know too many people who have done charitable deeds inspired by their faith. If so, you would know just how hollow, "a superfluous element that effective bribes otherwise selfish folks into dong selfless deeds..." is.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed the flick a great deal, mostly because Maher's attitude was not only justified, but absolutely necessary given the poisonous climate faced by rationalists in 2009. He's too soft, too tolerant, if anything.

I think what he is trying to accomplish with the film is hindered in spots due to his attitude. It's like you being off-put by adamant, crazy right-wingers. It blocks the film's potential audience to the point that he is more or less speaking to the choir (which is maybe the case with Maher, regardless).

It blocks the film's potential audience to the point that he is more or less speaking to the choir

Exactly. Telling your opponent that they are moronic and selfish, and that their point-of-view is on its face ridiculous, is no way to win the argument. If anything, it makes your opponent defensive and more willing to dig in their heels.

I like Bill Maher and agree with many of his points. Still, I don't think any devout believer will be persuaded by Bill Maher; rather, they will come away thinking Bill Maher is a condescending prick with an astonishingly simplistic understanding of how faith works--and it's always easy to dismiss condescending pricks rather than take them seriously.

• 3 months later...