Christ for President in Religulous

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude, did you actually see star wars? i'm not about to engage you on the existence of god again, but in the flick...'the force' existed. unless of course you've got a wiki quote from darth hitchens that debunks that too.

Jesus Christ - my point, was that unlike Han Solo, skeptics (atheists) have not been proven wrong. That we

dude, did you actually see star wars? i'm not about to engage you on the existence of god again, but in the flick...'the force' existed. unless of course you've got a wiki quote from darth hitchens that debunks that too.

:lol darth hitchens

There's a lot of eyewitness accounts and footprints, but no DNA of a unknown primate species has yet been identified in North America.

Oh for fuck's sake.

I know. One hair follicle with a DNA sequence would be all it would take. But the sasquatches are just too damn clever, or maybe they never shed.

Pete Townshend explains why he allowed The Who's 'The Seeker' to be used in the film:

October 20, 2008 --

SOME fans of The Who, who know of Pete Townshend's deep spirituality, were surprised to hear "The Seeker" on the soundtrack of Bill Maher's antireligion documentary, "Religulous." So Page Six contacted Townshend, who replied by e-mail: "Bill Maher is a comedian. I am a songwriter. I have faith in what I would call God, but I am not a religious man. I don't want to press my views on other people. Maher seems to have the wish to question and make fun of the sanity of we believers. I'm happy to say I'd prefer to be my kind of crazy than his kind of cynical, but . . . we live in a free society . . . Maher's film is not an important moment in the history of religion . . . So when I first refused the use of my song (for a very modest fee by the way) and Maher badgered me, I decided to allow it. If you have problems with this film, talk to Bill Maher. If you really want to know where I am on my spiritual journey, listen to the song."

Pete Townshend explains why he allowed The Who's 'The Seeker' to be used in the film:

October 20, 2008 --

SOME fans of The Who, who know of Pete Townshend's deep spirituality, were surprised to hear "The Seeker" on the soundtrack of Bill Maher's antireligion documentary, "Religulous." So Page Six contacted Townshend, who replied by e-mail: "Bill Maher is a comedian. I am a songwriter. I have faith in what I would call God, but I am not a religious man. I don't want to press my views on other people. Maher seems to have the wish to question and make fun of the sanity of we believers. I'm happy to say I'd prefer to be my kind of crazy than his kind of cynical, but . . . we live in a free society . . . Maher's film is not an important moment in the history of religion . . . So when I first refused the use of my song (for a very modest fee by the way) and Maher badgered me, I decided to allow it. If you have problems with this film, talk to Bill Maher. If you really want to know where I am on my spiritual journey, listen to the song."

I've looked under chairs

I've looked under tables

I've tried to find the key

To fifty million fables

They call me The Seeker

I've been searching low and high

I won't get to get what I'm after

Till the day I die

I asked Bobby Dylan

I asked The Beatles

I asked Timothy Leary

But he couldn't help me either

They call me The Seeker

Till the day I die

People tend to hate me

'Cause I never smile

As I ransack their homes

They want to shake my hand

Focusing on nowhere

Investigating miles

I'm a seeker

I'm a really desperate man

Till the day I die

I learned how to raise my voice in anger

Yeah, but look at my face, ain't this a smile?

I'm happy when life's good

And when it's bad I cry

I've got values but I don't know how or why

I'm looking for me

You're looking for you

We're looking in at each other

And we don't know what to do

They call me The Seeker

Till the day I die

It was also in American Beauty and The Limey. I have always read that the song was about Tom Wright, although, Pete was heavily involved with those who followed Meher Baba at the time he wrote the song.

I remember when that song queued up in American Beauty, thinking what a brilliant choice, given where the story was.

I've looked under chairs

I've looked under tables

I've tried to find the key

To fifty million fables

They call me The Seeker

Till the day I die

I asked Bobby Dylan

I asked The Beatles

I asked Timothy Leary

But he couldn't help me either

They call me The Seeker

Till the day I die

People tend to hate me

'Cause I never smile

As I ransack their homes

They want to shake my hand

Focusing on nowhere

Investigating miles

I'm a seeker

I'm a really desperate man

Till the day I die

I learned how to raise my voice in anger

Yeah, but look at my face, ain't this a smile?

I'm happy when life's good

And when it's bad I cry

I've got values but I don't know how or why

I'm looking for me

You're looking for you

We're looking in at each other

And we don't know what to do

They call me The Seeker

Till the day I die

That might be the best song he ever wrote.

• 4 months later...

I watched this last night. Parts were very entertaining, parts silly. I don't think he's going to change anybody's mind with this movie. He's awfully smug for someone who claims not to be certain. I thought the interview with the British Muslim rapper was interesting. He just didn't get his desire to censor Salman Rushdie while assertively fighting for his freedom of expression is hypocritical. I also like the interview with the skeptic (who I think was a priest) outside the Vatican. His conclusion would have been much more convincing if he had acknowledged any of the good people have done in the name of religion. The bad may outweigh the good, but maybe mention one hospital, homeless shelter, food bank, or prison ministry.

He's awfully smug for someone who claims not to be certain.

I'm a Maher fan, but this is my biggest problem with him. You can be an atheist without being a condescending prick. But I enjoyed the movie a good deal despite that.

I watched this last night. Parts were very entertaining, parts silly. I don't think he's going to change anybody's mind with this movie. He's awfully smug for someone who claims not to be certain. I thought the interview with the British Muslim rapper was interesting. He just didn't get his desire to censor Salman Rushdie while assertively fighting for his freedom of expression is hypocritical. I also like the interview with the skeptic (who I think was a priest) outside the Vatican. His conclusion would have been much more convincing if he had acknowledged any of the good people have done in the name of religion. The bad may outweigh the good, but maybe mention one hospital, homeless shelter, food bank, or prison ministry.

In all seriousness, why bother? Plenty of shelters, hospitals, and counselling exist without explicit ties to any made-up nonsense. At best, religion is a superfluous element that effectively bribes otherwise selfish folks into doing selfless and/or charitable deeds by dangling the ludicrous threat of cosmic retribution over their heads.

I enjoyed the flick a great deal, mostly because Maher's attitude was not only justified, but absolutely necessary given the poisonous climate faced by rationalists in 2009. He's too soft, too tolerant, if anything.