Social Wilco

I've listened to Wilco so much on my own that it's kind of awkward to have them playing at parties or in other large social settings. It's become so personal that it's weird to be sharing it with other people. Anyone else feel this way?

I get this. We spend most of our time with Wilco @ our house, it is weird to hear them out and about.Always hear them at Chipotle. :lol Oh, and we have a pal that bartends @ his fam's resturaunt that always puts Wilco on in the bar when we come in. Living in a small college town it's usually packed with hip-hop and whatevers on the radio fans. I have seen many of them look @ one another and ask who the hell is playing.

90.9 the bridge is at UCM & plays Wilco a lot. One of the Dj's is my client and gave me a Wilco shout out on air one time. Made me feel special. But hearing them outside of my home does make me feel weird, but probably because I only listen to live shows. JT sounds strange @ Chipotle :hmm .

Guest Speed Racer

I have a great difficulty playing any music I know the words to (whether it's Wilco or bad classic rock or Top 40) and talking with someone/listening to what they're saying and not the music. When I drive with others in the car the radio is off or tuned to a classical station; when I entertain (or rather, both times I have entertained) it's classical or jazz. I can't study to music, read to music, or talk with people around music I know the words to. It's a bit easier in restaurants, but I still tune people out a lot of the time.

The only reason why Wilco in public seems weird is because I don't listen to music much anymore outside of my car; usually it just plays in my head. So when I hear it in public it's like broadcasting my neurosoundtrack, which is bizarre whether it's Wilco or Silver Jews or whatever.

I would rather hear Wilco in social settings than Fall Out Boy or John Mayer. Moreover, to me, people are then actually hearing good music too when Wilco is played.

To my ears, Wilco is actually accessible - I can't imagine people not being able to at least tolerate the stuff.

When we have people over I usually to try steer clear of turning them on to my Anthony Braxton or Sun Ra or whatever - unless I want them to leave. :lol

When we have people over I usually to try steer clear of turning them on to my Anthony Braxton or Sun Ra or whatever -
Changing the subject (since this one is going nowhere....), I just found out that Braxton's son is in the rock group Battles. Pretty cool.

LouieB

I am so used to listening to live performances that it kind of freaks me out to hear wilco album tunes out and about. It has happened twice in the colorado airport when we were awaiting our flight back to houston and I say with all sincerity that I danced at our table to it like an obnoxious high schooler.

I'm really that much of a tweedy freakshow...

I have a great difficulty playing any music I know the words to (whether it's Wilco or bad classic rock or Top 40) and talking with someone/listening to what they're saying and not the music. When I drive with others in the car the radio is off or tuned to a classical station; when I entertain (or rather, both times I have entertained) it's classical or jazz. I can't study to music, read to music, or talk with people around music I know the words to. It's a bit easier in restaurants, but I still tune people out a lot of the time.

Man, I'm the exact same way. And here I'd been thinking I was alone! :cheers

I'm always blown away by the number of folks who profess listening to music at work. One of my jobs involves a lot of typing and phone calls, and I just can't listen to music while doing that sort of thing; my other job involves peace and quiet and a lot of visually oriented computer tasks, and when I'm doing that stuff I find I'm constantly listening to music.

90.9 the bridge is at UCM & plays Wilco a lot. One of the Dj's is my client and gave me a Wilco shout out on air one time. Made me feel special. But hearing them outside of my home does make me feel weird, but probably because I only listen to live shows. JT sounds strange @ Chipotle :hmm .

I luv that station, whenever I can get it to tune in. They first turned me on to Josh Ritter.

On a related note, I have no problem listening to music and chewing gum at the same time. In fact, I enjoy it. :lol

I cannot imagine any social situation where I would hear Wilco being played.

My friends are old with old people music tastes.

I am old with a more modern, open music palate.