Freedy Johnson

that depends....was leroy once an up and coming songwriter who released a couple of decent earlier efforts, then a timeless unforgettable album (can you fly) before turning into a boring, angry miserable songwriter with nothing left in the tank who played terrible live shows?

that depends....was leroy once an up and coming songwriter who released a couple of decent earlier efforts, then a timeless unforgettable album (can you fly) before turning into a boring, angry miserable songwriter with nothing left in the tank who played terrible live shows?

Freedy really did slide downhill in a hurry after those first couple great records.

I saw Freedy live once and it was phenomenal. Didn't hurt that his band was Kevin Salem and his band.

It's Johnston not Johnson ;).

I liked Can You Fly and This Perfect World. Nothing else really grabbed me as much.

You obviously didn't listen to Right Between the Promises (2001).

You obviously didn't listen to Right Between the Promises (2001).

I definitely did not. If it was good, then it was the exception to his later years rule. I used to love the guy early on and saw him a bunch having lived in Hoboken, NJ for years. He just ran out of gas

and yes, the band with Kevin Salem was best lineup he put together.

If it was good, then it was the exception to his later years rule.

It was. I didn't really like anything else since the first two (Trouble Tree and Can You Fly). I still have to understand why some people keep praising This Perfect World, which is quite boring. But why did you tell he sounded angry on the following albums? He never sounded angry to me.

Did sound for him a year and half ago, and have never seen an artist so in contempt of his audience. The guy was insufferable!

yea, i hate to pile on but I saw him at Schubas once and he was boring on top of acting like an asshole. I am actually somewhat sensitive to people talking during a show in an intimate venue. He was way over the top with his contempt. The crowd really wasn't all that bad.

It was. I didn't really like anything else since the first two (Trouble Tree and Can You Fly). I still have to understand why some people keep praising This Perfect World, which is quite boring. But why did you tell he sounded angry on the following albums? He never sounded angry to me.

the angry and miserable was when he was on stage. as a few other posts have noted, he just seemed to have contempt for the crowd, which given his ever dwindling audience, you would think he might try to nurture a little better relationship.

anyway, he definitely wrote a few gems and did the best cover of wichita lineman and i've been waiting that you ever heard.

Saw Ryan Adams after he cleaned up, and it is one of the best shows I have seen/heard.

Not to threadjack, but Ryan Adams fans hold the audience in contempt these days. A whiny bunch they are. I love seeing his shows but if I get yelled at 1 more time for standing up during the end of his set I'm gonna flip.

Not to pile on the Freedy negativity, but I used to hold Can You Fly in really really high regard. I listened to it a few months ago for the first time in a while and it sounded, I don't know, sort of uninteresting. It still has some great songs on it but it had more filler than I remember.

For a long time I thought I once owned a Daniel Johnston album, and I quietly gave myself mad cool props for that. Then I saw The Devil & Daniel Johnston and they never mentioned Can You Fly so I looked it up and whattaya know, it was a Freedy Johnston album I once owned. Damn.