Saw the trailer for "Up" in 3D this weekend (at monsters and aliens). It was stunning. Really feels like you are flying around in that house. Plus you get to sit there looking like Elvis Costello in those nifty glasses.

I made an Elvis Costello reference and no appearance by MattZ. What Gives?

Up will be the opening movie of Cannes. It will be shown sometime today/tonight.

Roger Ebert has seen the 2D version and writes it about it on his blog (apparently he hates 3D, and digresses a little bit about the topic). I lightly skimmed his review, as not to spoil any of the movie. But his and other early reviews (Time magazine's Richard Corliss has a review also) are glowing to say the least.

Here's a few things Ebert says about the film (I edited out things that might be major spoilers...there are minor spoilers ahead):

Thanks for taking the time to remove all the spoilers

Yeah, I have little interest in 3D. Right or wrong, it still feels gimmicky to me. I have no problem immersing myself into a great story on the screen without the need to resort to visual tricks.

Yeah, I have little interest in 3D. Right or wrong, it still feels gimmicky to me. I have no problem immersing myself into a great story on the screen without the need to resort to visual tricks.

and migraines

I tend to agree, but I'm open to the idea that 3D has artistic potential, and might eventually be used to deepen the storytelling rather than merely provide window-dressing. No one has figured out how to do that yet, but as it evolves, someone might.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Up. Great, great movie. I liked it better than Wall-E. It's amazing how Pixar can make such a classic story that appeals to children and adults at the same time. Ed Asner did great voice work as did Christopher Plummer and the boy who did Russell's voice. The Partly Cloudy short was charming as well.

The only negatives were the scary (to my 4-year-olds) previews for Harry Potter and Transformers and my son getting greasy fingerprints on the 3D glasses and wanting to trade with me.

I tend to agree, but I'm open to the idea that 3D has artistic potential, and might eventually be used to deepen the storytelling rather than merely provide window-dressing. No one has figured out how to do that yet, but as it evolves, someone might.

I didn't see this before it was bumped. I would have wholeheartedly agreed with this assessment, but took my kids to see Coraline. The use of the technology in that film was subtle and astounding. I am confident that Pixar will use it in an equally creative and responsible way. Much as they're largely unsurpassed approach to computerized animation.

Up's a really great film.

Of course, seeing a Pixar movie brings very high expectations, and to some extent I'm not sure if they were met. Or at least I felt that way in some parts of the movie. But when I think of the movie, I think of so many reasons why I liked it. It's got great human emtion, and Docter keeps things fresh and unexpected and quirky. I'll definitely see it again and, like all Pixar movies, will probably like it more after the 2nd viewing.

The animation is superb. Love the stylings of the characters. A very sweet, touching and funny movie. Proably wouldn't make my top 3 Pixar films, but wouldn't be in the bottom 3 either.

And the short, "Partly Cloudy", might be my favorite Pixar short. It's VERY funny and very sweet.

Loved it. Not a flawless movie, but pretty close. Of all the things to nitpick, I had a problem with the unever timeline progression between the two old men, but otherwise I really loved it, and so did my 2 year old. The Carl/Ellie story left me a little bit misty eyed.

Pixar is building a reputation that is so good that it is going to be hard to continue to live up to. They can't keep putting out this level of quality, can they?

Oh, and on a separate note, I love the way Docter describes Star Wars in his favorite movies list. That's exactly what it was like, right down to the shaking in my seat.