• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consumer Reports says, do they not, that Ford is on a par with the Japanese now and GM is not that far behind?

Well, the only reason they can offer 0 percent is that they got 100 percent of our $5 billion. That doesn't strike me as a sustainable business model.

And that's what I've always loved about the bailout: Giving banks our money so they can lend us our money and collect interest from us.

So...you're mad that they are charging us interest...and...that they are...not...charging us interest...? :)

Oh, that zero percent interest thing is a carnival trick.

Well, the only reason they can offer 0 percent is that they got 100 percent of our $5 billion. That doesn't strike me as a sustainable business model.

I just thought the bail out money was there to help the companies re-invent themselves, not to help sell the old crap.

Here's the thing, though. They can't just cease all operations and redesign their entire fleet. They have to sell their current stock, and they have to continue producing their current line, or else they will definitely go out of business before they have a chance to develop a new, more sustainable business model based on better-designed cars. Right?

Here's the thing, though. They can't just cease all operations and redesign their entire fleet. They have to sell their current stock, and they have to continue producing their current line, or else they will definitely go out of business before they have a chance to develop a new, more sustainable business model based on better-designed cars. Right?

But what if you don't want to/need to buy a car? They're still getting your money.

You're OK with that?

• 2 months later...

Has nothing to do w/ the big three but you may have heard about the debut of Tesla's Model S yesterday.

modelS.jpg

Fully elec. 300+Mile range on a charge.

0-60 in less than 6 sec.

Base Price at $50K.

Looks like a four door Aston DB9.

A pretty compelling vehicle. While it's initially pricey, one hopes that as luxury/high-end buyers make the initial investments and production increases, prices will fall and become more accessible for the average consumer. Perhaps as new model years roll out battery development will advance and some of its limitations/issues will be addressed.

I'm not convinced battery tech. is the way to go...Honda is currently testing their Hydrogen sedan on the West Coast successfully ( although there are issues w/ infrastructure to consider w/ those). It's just cool watching these designs come into the market right now.

Listen to the bell Chrysler. It rings for thee. I really don't know what is going to happen with either Chrysler or GM. Bankruptcy I suppose. Very little is being said about Ford and how they have managed to pull through this. People are literally flipping the hell out around Detroit.

I'm glad the financial industry completely restructured before receiving their bailout that is 45 times larger than the auto industry bailout. I also appreciate how they've been totally transparent in what they've done with the money.

And I am personally thankful that the people who created the whole financial mess have been held accountable and lost their jobs like the guy at GM just did. Accountabaility works in some industries not in others.