Electronic music help

so, my band and I want to start to try to play some semi-electronic music - specifically so we can attempt to accurately cover Radiohead's "Idioteque" and IATTBYH.

however, we have absolutely no idea where to start. any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

May want to ask in the gear section. Get a Mini Moog or Moog Voyager and a Nord Lead. That's a good place to start.

A cheaper option is to use a computer. You can get officially licensed VSTi's of many popular synthesizers and you can also trigger samples.

Electronic music rules. Modular synthesizers are the best to play around on, but not very practical at all in terms of acquiring and playing gigs.

Moogs are definitely the gold standard for electronic sound variety, but on the pricey side. Go play around with some stuff and see what you like. Always pick user control over millions of premade sound-effects, that's the best advice. Computers can do good things, but a lot of the best music from electronics comes from knob twiddling experiments/accidents.

Electronic music rules. Modular synthesizers are the best to play around on, but not very practical at all in terms of acquiring and playing gigs.

Moogs are definitely the gold standard for electronic sound variety, but on the pricey side. Go play around with some stuff and see what you like. Always pick user control over millions of premade sound-effects, that\'s the best advice. Computers can do good things, but a lot of the best music from electronics comes from knob twiddling experiments/accidents.

I agree with all of this. But computers can still be an option. There\'s nothing like turning a knob, but for a cheaper alternative, many of these synths have been turned into software. The interface is a picture of the old hardware and you can adjust any of the knobs by using your mouse. Arturia is the company that makes officially licensed versions for sale. You can probably also find some freeware that\'s comparable.

Or you can always carry one of these around

fairlight79.jpg

so, my band and I want to start to try to play some semi-electronic music - specifically so we can attempt to accurately cover Radiohead's "Idioteque" and IATTBYH.

however, we have absolutely no idea where to start. any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I have a MicroKorg. It makes Radiohead esq sounds!