This may seem like an odd request, but I suffer from terrible headaches, and have been on (i think) the same meds that Jeff was on before he had his surgery. I have searched high and low for the name of the surgery that he had that helped his headaches. Does anyone know? I think it was somehow sinus related. I ask because I have been listening to some solo shows of his where he references the headaches, the meds and the upcoming surgery.

Thanks in advance, all you wilco folks.

I've read numerous times where he's said the sinus surgery didn't help at all. In the column he wrote in the NY Times about migraines, he said that now he is more perceptive to when he is going to get one and takes Advil right away. If he doesn't get there soon enough he puts ice on his head, throws up, and waits for tomorrow.

''Migraines,'' he explains, lest anyone think that it's the music that is making him suffer. ''I've had 'em my whole life; I'm allergic to almost everything. I had surgery last February for my sinuses, but it didn't seem to do anything. Where's my ice bag?''

For the most part, I
Well! That sucks. I was sure I read somewhere that they helped. Too bad for both of us, then. :hmm

Sorry! I hope you find a solution.

In the comments section of the NY Times article someone else mentioned how the surgery did nothing for them also. But it did increase Jeff's range as a singer, so he's got that going for him.

Migraines suck, for sure. I get it when he says that you have to listen to your body. I've suffered with them for years. But after a while you get to know the warning signs when one is brewing and deal with it the best way you have learned how. One good thing, however, they have declined both in numbers and severity with each passing year. I heard that this happens with women around middle-age. Maybe it's a hormonal thing. I hope that the same thing will happen to you.

I tried something at a friends house by her recommendation, and it was one of those Homedics massage things that you set on a chair...and it had a massager and heater in it. The chair it was on was one that you could tilt back like a laz-e-boy recliner. I started off with the massage part everywhere but the highest part of my back/neck and had the heat on. I also had a cold wet washcloth on my eyes/forehead and took my meds and I felt better quicker then I normally do. I need to buy one of those things. The vibration sounds different as it goes up and down, I had it set on where it went back and forth instead of steady everywhere...and the sounds were calming, and I got into listening to the rhythm and I stopped thinking about my head hurting as much...oh and the room was dark. Maybe you can try that?

This may seem like an odd request, but I suffer from terrible headaches, and have been on (i think) the same meds that Jeff was on before he had his surgery. I have searched high and low for the name of the surgery that he had that helped his headaches. Does anyone know? I think it was somehow sinus related. I ask because I have been listening to some solo shows of his where he references the headaches, the meds and the upcoming surgery.

I'm not positive, but I believe he had surgery for a Deviated Septum. It's referred to as Septoplasty and/or Turbinate Reduction.

Trust me, without getting into the gory details, the surgery sucks. I had it done as a treatment for Sleep Apena and it did not work.

I would have better luck getting rid of Sleep Apena if I would just stay away from the beer, wine and chocolate chip cookies!

In Jeff's case, I thought his giving up smoking did more to releive his migranes than the surgery.

But giving up smoking usually leads to chocolate chip cookies, so go figure.

My brother had surgery a few years ago for a deviated septum that was supposed to relieve his headaches but it didn't work. He still gets them all the time. He's a doctor so he's able to get samples of new meds before they come on the market. Right now he's found something that really works for him. I don't know the name of it but I can ask him if you want me to. It's some kind of dissolvable strip and you have to take it the second you feel a headache coming on.

I also had sinus surgery, and it has had some impact on my migraines, though I still get them. Of course, I didn't get the surgery to help with migraines -- I got it to deal with a chronic sinus infection. The surgery was great at getting rid of the infection and preventing future ones by clearing away all the scar tissue from previous infections that blocked my sinuses and created repeated sinus infections (and eventually one that wouldn't go away). At times, sinus pressure seemed to trigger a migraine, so that trigger is no longer in play, but I still get a migraine once or twice a month (which really isn't all that often compared to some). I've just come to accept migraines as part of my life. I've got an unusually high pain tolerance (or threshold really -- I generally don't feel pain in situations where others would; for instance, I often don't notice that I've accidentally cut myself until I bleed onto something), so it's not so much the headache that gets me but instead the nausea and sensitivity to light and sound.

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but I wouldn't look into getting sinus surgery unless you actually have a sinus problem (although it's an extremely minor and relatively painless outpatient surgery)

Mine went away?

I used to get pretty severe migranes pretty regularly. I took a bunch of stuff out of my diet, including alcohol (especially red wine), caffine, peanut butter, chocolate, etc. I used to take Fiorinal too which I understand could be addictive. Anyway, I got fewer and fewer and really don't get them at all any more. And all of that stuff has been reintroduced to my diet.