philly 12-12-08

i have had my g.a. tickets since september for this show. unfortunately, the weather is so bad i am not going to make the 4 hour drive today. i am bummed, but i can't afford the possibility of getting into an accident or being stuck in the mountains all night. i have been following the tour on line and i don't expect any unusual surprises in philly tonight. still, i would like to know what i miss. if someone could please post the set list i would appreciate it. i will be listening to all my live shows throughout the day to numb the pain (or create more, i'm not sure yet). no sky blue skies for me today...

unfortunately, the weather is so bad i am not going to make the 4 hour drive today. i am bummed, but i can't afford the possibility of getting into an accident or being stuck in the mountains all night. i have been following the tour on line and i don't expect any unusual surprises in philly tonight. still, i would like to know what i miss. if someone could please post the set list i would appreciate it.

sorry you had to miss the show.

here was the setlist for wilco from philly (i assume that's the setlist you wanted since neil has pretty much been playing the same setlist for the whole tour):

Via Chicago

Impossible Germany

You Are My Face>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Hummingbird

Jesus, etc.

Hate It Here

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

nothing too revolutionary, although i'm glad they put spiders in there. i couldn't really tell from where i was, but i sort of wondered about the reaction to that one from most of the crowd.

nels kind of had a rough night. he broke a string twice, including during his solo on impossible germany. if you happened to be listening to a recording or something without knowing what had happened, it would sound like they reworked the ending. but basically, after the broken string, nels couldn't really play the notes cleanly at the end of the solo and he couldn't switch guitars mid-solo either, so he just had to sort of finish up with a noisy, fast strum. after the song ended, a couple of us could hear him yell out in frustration. he shook it off pretty quickly, though, and sounded great for the rest of the set.

happy to report that jeff didn't have to go off stage at all to puke or anything, so hopefully he's feeling better from his stomach bug. his only hiccup was a slight lyric flub, on via chicago ("the cups are cracked and hooked...i think"), but i don't think too many people noticed. :pirate

I was in the same situation, bullmind, so I feel your pain. Thankfully folks around here are great about reporting on shows.

It's good to hear Jeff is finally feeling better. I can't imagine how horrible performing must be when you feel like you're going to puke. Nels has been having a lot of problems with broken strings lately. He broke one or two last weekend in Rochester, too. No wonder he was frustrated, since it happened during his shining moment of the set. Either that or he was just upset that I wasn't there :lol

I'm really bummed out I had to miss this. I would've loved to hear how Spiders sounded in such a big space.

Via Chicago was an awesome opener. I was surprised how good the sound was. I haven't been to an arena show in like 15 years so I was expecting the worst. Wilco's sound was really good. The set was really short though. I know they were one of the openers, but I was definitely left jonesin for more Wilco.

Then Neil came out and just totally blew the doors off the place. Highlight of the show for me was Cortez the Killer. It's amazing what Neil and His band can do with a 3 chord song. Rocked.

And just a final note, The first band Everest were pretty good. I've checked out their album before so I was familiar with some of the material. I predict this is a band that is going to have a future, but they looked dwarf sized compared to Wilco and Neil.

• 4 weeks later...

Im 17 and This was my first wilco show But i am very familar with all there records. This was UNBELIEVEABLE. I am way to excited to see a full wilco show. When im old enough in a few years im gunna follow them around.