To follow that thought, I just got a bootleg from the Being There era -- and there's no doubt that Jay's a great guitarist, but his solos sound like he's showing off. Now -- with Nels and Pat -- to me it sounds like each solo is part of a whole. What the two and sometimes three of them do complements the other. Jay's use of the wah-wah is great, but nothing gives me the chills like Impossible Germany, Handshake Drugs, and Spiders.

Not to beat a dead horse either

To follow that thought, I just got a bootleg from the Being There era -- and there's no doubt that Jay's a great guitarist, but his solos sound like he's showing off. Now -- with Nels and Pat -- to me it sounds like each solo is part of a whole. What the two and sometimes three of them do complements the other. Jay's use of the wah-wah is great, but nothing gives me the chills like Impossible Germany, Handshake Drugs, and Spiders.

Not to beat a dead horse either

Handshake Drugs AND Spiders were written before Nels or Pat were in the band.

Yes, it's true, the band is technically better than they were in the last 90's/early 00's. And this incarnation of Wilco has been playing together for something like 5 years with only one batch of new songs, so they will be better at performing those songs a specific way and going through the intricacies of those songs. When Jay was in the band, they were at their most prolific (5 albums including the mermaid aves from 1996-2002). They were constantly evolving. They were constantly pushing themselves, trying new things. Seeing 2 shows a year apart were like seeing two totally different shows. They were exciting in that you didn't know what was going to happen, they were spontaneous, and the band was always trying new and different things.

Today? I mean, not really. YES, they are very good at playing the songs that they do. But for the first time I don't feel a need to go see the band every time they're in my area b/c I already know what the show is gonna be like. Really, there's nothing wrong with this- they're getting older, more comfortable, and they're playing HUGE shows, so why push the envelope if you don't have to? I won't argue with the point that they are fantastic at what they do and if someone has never seen them or is only vaguely familiar with them, by all means they should go see the show.

But to argue that this version of Wilco is somehow way better than the version that put out BT, ST, YHF? With the excitement and thought that went into all of those albums? With the spontaneity of the live shows and the evolution of the band, the constant learning and experimenting that you could see Tweedy and Bennett going through? I just can't agree with that.

Yes, it's true, the band is technically better than they were in the last 90's/early 00's. And this incarnation of Wilco has been playing together for something like 5 years with only one batch of new songs, so they will be better at performing those songs a specific way and going through the intricacies of those songs. When Jay was in the band, they were at their most prolific (5 albums including the mermaid aves from 1996-2002). They were constantly evolving. They were constantly pushing themselves, trying new things. Seeing 2 shows a year apart were like seeing two totally different shows. They were exciting in that you didn't know what was going to happen, they were spontaneous, and the band was always trying new and different things.

Today? I mean, not really. YES, they are very good at playing the songs that they do. But for the first time I don't feel a need to go see the band every time they're in my area b/c I already know what the show is gonna be like. Really, there's nothing wrong with this- they're getting older, more comfortable, and they're playing HUGE shows, so why push the envelope if you don't have to? I won't argue with the point that they are fantastic at what they do and if someone has never seen them or is only vaguely familiar with them, by all means they should go see the show.

But to argue that this version of Wilco is somehow way better than the version that put out BT, ST, YHF? With the excitement and thought that went into all of those albums? With the spontaneity of the live shows and the evolution of the band, the constant learning and experimenting that you could see Tweedy and Bennett going through? I just can't agree with that.

Jay's back. Hey Jay.

Jay's back. Hey Jay.

I think you're far too intelligent of a poster to resort to the old cliche of calling anyone who defends Jay, Jay. Come on dude, boo jim boo made a pretty good argument to resort to the "lol, he must be Jay" line shows not only a lack of creativity, but basically concedes the argument if that's the best you can come up with.

--Mike

I think you're far too intelligent of a poster to resort to the old cliche of calling anyone who defends Jay, Jay. Come on dude, boo jim boo made a pretty good argument to resort to the "lol, he must be Jay" line shows not only a lack of creativity, but basically concedes the argument if that's the best you can come up with.

--Mike

Fair enough. Sorry boo.

--Mike

Well look at his last several posts. They are all defending Jay. If he's not Jay, he's definitely someone that has a man-crush on him.

Well look at his last several posts. They are all defending Jay. If he's not Jay, he's definitely someone that has a man-crush on him.

Nope. I'm not Jay. Thanks Mike for sticking up for me. I've been lurking on these boards for maybe 6 years or so, chiming in every once in awhile. I'm just tired of all the Jay-bashing. I mean, he was the 2nd-most important member of the band that was far and away my favorite from 98 till about 02. I think it's a real shame how he gets treated around here and, hey, slow time at work so I figured I'd stick up for him.

No man crush. Went and saw him play once back in 04 and it wasn't very good. He's just not a front man. Doesn't have the voice for it. The formula that worked was Jeff's songs and Jay's contributions. I just wish people would respect what he did, and stop trashing the guy who obviously went through a tough time.

Nope. I'm not Jay. Thanks Mike for sticking up for me. I've been lurking on these boards for maybe 6 years or so, chiming in every once in awhile. I'm just tired of all the Jay-bashing. I mean, he was the 2nd-most important member of the band that was far and away my favorite from 98 till about 02. I think it's a real shame how he gets treated around here and, hey, slow time at work so I figured I'd stick up for him.

No man crush. Went and saw him play once back in 04 and it wasn't very good. He's just not a front man. Doesn't have the voice for it. The formula that worked was Jeff's songs and Jay's contributions. I just wish people would respect what he did, and stop trashing the guy who obviously went through a tough time.

Again boo, sorry, I was just having some fun. That said, I'll stop bashing Jay when he moves on and stops harping about how important he was, what he did on what song and how he was as important to the band as Jeff. His contributions to the band during that period are respected and duly noted. And for the record the latest incarnation of Wilco is blistering live, not as sloppy and John has always been the second most important member of the band. Proof: he's still in the band.

I really like the Just a Fan side of the boards a lot, but the one thing that occasionally worries me is that threads have a tendency to break into cheap shots or in-jokes. Now, look I am as big a fan of cheap shots and in jokes as the next guy. OMG, answer the question you highly messed up freaks never fails to get a chuckle here, it's just when someone is actually trying to make an argument breaking into that concerns me a little. I don't want to alienate someone who could potentially be a great contributor here, that's all. Now if someone is being a dick and says "Bennett rulez, Cline sucks, lol." Hell, I'll make the "hi, Jay" joke myself on the guy. But BJB's stuff thus far has been a lot better than that, the dude isn't trolling.

All I want to convey is that it's okay to have it both ways, you can post a six paragraph thesis about why Nels is better than Jay and you can post AM, BT, ST, YHF, AGIB, SBS, The New One as well. Just be open to it both ways, and I humbly feel the overall conversation will be better for it. One man's opinion, that's all.

--Mike

Hey, it's cool. You're obviously entitled to your opinions, I'm just trying to stick up for a guy who gets the short end of the stick on a lot of the posts here. I don't expect people to necessarily agree with my opinions, just wanna have a reasonable discussion about it. Agreed that the latest incarnation of Wilco is 'blistering' live - it's just the same blistering live show that they've been playing the last few years.

Again boo, sorry, I was just having some fun. That said, I'll stop bashing Jay when he moves on and stops harping about how important he was, what he did on what song and how he was as important to the band as Jeff. His contributions to the band during that period are respected and duly noted. And for the record the latest incarnation of Wilco is blistering live, not as sloppy and John has always been the second most important member of the band. Proof: he's still in the band.

You choose not to see them when in your area?!

For me living in the UK "in my area" now has to include when they play in Spain. You guys don't know how blessed you are.......

Not to beat a dead (fat) horse, but watching this again proves the band is far better without Jay.

lets see, classic albums made when jay was in the band - 3

classic albums made when jay was not in the band - 0

yep wilco is so much better without him. really, he had nothing to do with being there, summerteeth, or yankee hotel foxtrot. nels could have done it all and even better, right?

give me a break...

He was referring to a live performance

yep wilco is so much better without him. really, he had nothing to do with being there, summerteeth, or yankee hotel foxtrot. nels could have done it all and even better, right?

I've never heard anyone say that before. But that is a good idea for a thread. Can Nels grow dreads?

give me a break...

Alright already. First off, I hate using the term "classic" mainly because its usually used by the same people who use the term "party" as a euphemism for getting drunk. I don't know if any of those albums will hold up after, say, thirty years. Maybe they will. I like them.

I really meant as a live band. I think Nels is a better player. More inventive on the guitar, more willing to find what is right for the song. I'm just not a Jay fan. There can be both kinds of people you know. People who who don't like Jay Bennett and people who are getting there.

I like all the different forms Wilco has taken over the years as well as most of the music produced in it's different incarnations......As a live band, I think right now they are the best one out there for my musical preferences.......I can get into Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Black Crowes, Oasis and Collective Soul (my other current live contemporary favorites, I'm not including Neil Young here).......But they don't come close to the Wilco experience for me......I never saw them with Jay in person but I also like what I have seen on video, YouTube etc. as well as the albums when Jay did perform with them.....But Nels blows me away also......Hey, life goes on, things change and everyone should feel lucky Wilco has evolved into the band it has become despite the personal changes......Hasn't Jeff been saying this is the sound and lineup he always envisioned for the band.......It's his band, if he's happy so am I......Wilco is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get......