hey all.. im sure many of you who browse this part of the forum are guitar players, so i figured id throw a question out there. i know "tone" is a personal taste thing, but knowing is half the battle i suppose. anywho, i recently got a peavey classic 30, which im starting to get some good sounds out of. however, i want my tone to be really "warm." you know, that sorta overdrivey sound that sparkles but has that brownish color to it almost. what do you guys use to get the sounds you like? any suggestions for me?

In my experience, that "warm" sound is most often the result of the amp more so than a pedal. I can typically get a nice warm overdriven sound without using a pedal, though when I need an extra boost, I enjoy the classic tube screamer 808 (I know boutique overdrive pedals are all the rage, but I've found that it's been all the overdrive I've ever really needed -- though two of them chained together can be pretty fun). No pedal out there, however, can get that warm sound through a solid state amp.

I think the key for you will be messing around with your amp and guitar in combination to find what settings get you the tone you're looking for. No pedal will get you that classic warm tone if your amp just can't get there, and the settings for achieving that perfect tone can vary from amp to amp -- even among two amps of the same make and model. I don't know much about the Peavey Classic 30, but years ago I worked at a music store that pushed Peaveys pretty heavily, and as a flannel-wearing, grunge(and Uncle Tupelo)-listening teenager I owned a Peavey. I could never get a warm tone out of that amp or any of the amps at the store, but back then Peavey didn't produce many tube amps (I think we only ever stocked one -- some sort of Van Halen model). Hopefully you can get the sound you're looking for from the Classic 30 -- I've never played one so I couldn't comment on its tonal capabilities, though trying some vintage tubes could help warm up your sound. Hang in there and just keep experimenting.

Anyway, welcome to the SST forum. I think you'll find that there are some very helpful and knowledgeable folks around these parts. I've been to all kinds of gear forums, but I couldn't have built my own guitar and done countless guitar/amp mods without the help of these folks, and they're also a great source of knowledge for home-recording. Hell, I've even gotten a vintage tube as a Christmas present from one particularly awesome poster (thanks again, Rowboat -- totally made my holidays). So, basically, you've come to the right place.

One thing to note with any tube amps is that if you want a really warm tone they need to be just loud enough to "open up." It's kind of hard to quantitatively describe, but you'll hit a certain volume and the tone on the amp will sound more open and rich. Turning your amp up to that volume may be exactly what you're looking for (hopefully it's not too loud!) but otherwise I'd recommend just playing around with your guitar and amp tone controls and seeing what sounds good to you. I know a friend of mine had a Classic 30 and liked it a lot especially for lap steel playing.

Another thought on the matter -- I know 30 watts isn't exactly ridiculously powerful, but its still a pretty loud amp, so you're probably going to have to crank the sucker to some bother-the-neighbors levels get the tone you're after. That is, unless you grab an attenuator, but that's a whole different can of worms . . . If volume is an issue, I'm pretty sure there's an older thread about getting that overdriven tube sound at lower volumes, because I had that particular issue before I got hold of a smaller amp and brought it up here.

EDIT: It looks like deepseacatfish was thinking along the same line there as I typed this post, which makes me wonder if we aren't on to something. Are you in an apartment or other situation that keeps you from really turning up the amp? If so, that might be what's kept you from getting the tone you're after.

not too long ago i put a used Classic 30 and a couple of Fender tubes amps side to side at a music store my bass player was working at...i remember getting some really good sounds out of the Peavey, which kind of surprised me, but the tone and volume (projection is a better word) couldnt really beat the fenders (a hot rod, princeton recording and a deluxe reverb ri)...the DRRI easily had the warmest sounds and its 22 watts sounded louder and broke up better than the 30 watt Peavey...the Classic 30 did however sound better than the comparable fender hod rod, which went from quiet to brittle and super loud instantly...i imagine with some sweet nos tubes, the 30 would do the job

I have tried near as many OD pedals as i have seen, they are for the most part, all the same circuit, based on the original tubescreamer and just tweeked (even my incredible klon centuar )...

I fully agree that the secret to overdriven sound is the tubes and other components in a good quality amp, however the original poster didnt mention what guitar and pickups he's using, which make a huge difference...a les paul and a jazzmaster for example, will sound and perform differently on the same tube amp...

first off, wow... i didnt expect to get this many posts, haha.

but yeah, im using a gibson double cut les paul (the faded kind) with p-90s and a mexico strat. volume isnt really an issue with me, so i can crank it to get that sound.. i bought the amp used so maybe a tube change would help. however, i hate effects big time, i always end up selling them. although i like tube screamers, ive never played a pedal that i really liked. so i was thinking about getting a little booster like the micro amp or electro-harmonix lpb-1 to drive the input a bit before it hits the power section. i like using the volume knob to get different sounds and all, i just want some more sparkle and warmth. (dont we all?)

If you find it, let us know. Like most players I am still looking for the "sound" which for me would be the sustain of a highly distorted amp (for leads) with the clarity to be able to play a diminished chord without it sounding like a complete mess. SRV had an amazing sound. That guitar just screamed but sounded so clean for rhythms and chord work.

If you find it, let us know. Like most players I am still looking for the "sound" which for me would be the sustain of a highly distorted amp (for leads) with the clarity to be able to play a diminished chord without it sounding like a complete mess. SRV had an amazing sound. That guitar just screamed but sounded so clean for rhythms and chord work.

I've read lots of reviews by people who swear by the BBE sonic stomp, and while from what i've seen it works better on bass it might be something that interests you moss. youtube has plenty of demos.

I've read lots of reviews by people who swear by the BBE sonic stomp, and while from what i've seen it works better on bass it might be something that interests you moss. youtube has plenty of demos.

Thanks for the tip, I will most def be checking it out!

Fulltone Fulldrive 2. Don't just take my word for it. Go to a shop with one and try it out. Made me sell my Ibanz Tube Screamer, which is by no means bad.

Hell, while you're at it try a Crowther Hot Cake, maybe some Keeley stuff. We live in an age of beautiful stomp box companies. You have many solid options.

Fulltone Fulldrive 2. Don't just take my word for it. Go to a shop with one and try it out. Made me sell my Ibanz Tube Screamer, which is by no means bad.

Hell, while you're at it try a Crowther Hot Cake, maybe some Keeley stuff. We live in an age of beautiful stomp box companies. You have many solid options.

The Fulltone Fulldrive 2 is what I use and I love it. Through a Fender Deville. Gets a nice Black Crowes/Stones type sound.