U2 - new single

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/down...ur-boots-stream

...interesting, even those pitchfork geeks like it.

it's decent. at first, it sounds like another Vertigo rehash but there's much more going on here. it's the obvious choice for a single...most of the songs on the album are 5 plus minutes in length.

By far their most interesting first single since "Discotheque" off "Pop". A pretty basic song but with nice sonic touches and the chorus doesn't even sound like U2. Bodes well for the album.

Did anyone else cringe seeing Bono at the DC Celebration yesterday? "Pride" is an incredible song whose poignancy speaks for itself especially yesterday. But "Mr World Leader Pretend" couldn't resist those awful ad-libs before and during the song. And seriously, his voice has really deteriorated over time.

Did anyone else cringe seeing Bono at the DC Celebration yesterday? "Pride" is an incredible song whose poignancy speaks for itself especially yesterday. But "Mr World Leader Pretend" couldn't resist those awful ad-libs before and during the song. And seriously, his voice has really deteriorated over time.

I agree his voice wasn't strong, but I have to ask - have you ever seen Bono perform before? That's his MO. "Am I buggin ya? I don't mean to bug ya!"

As far as the single, I'm liking the chorus.

I agree his voice wasn't strong, but I have to ask - have you ever seen Bono perform before? That's his MO. "Am I buggin ya? I don't mean to bug ya!"

As far as the single, I'm liking the chorus.

Agreed that is Bono's MO but he crossed the line into something close to self-parody a long time ago. A little restraint would really serve him and his audience well.

I'm appreciating the contradiction between the lyrics and the music--it sounds like a throwaway dance track, but it's not at all. I have a hunch it will be a song like Vertigo that I get tired of after awhile, but I think it's some of Bono's best songwriting since Pop. On the last two albums, there was this transparency in his lyrics, this sense that they could (mostly) be taken at face value, but here there's some sarcasm and irony, some shape-shifting that I don't think we've seen from him since the 90s, and that's refreshing.

I don't expect the entire album to sound this way. From what I've read, I expect it to be a much wider ranging album sonically than U2 has done this decade. Based on this first song, though, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Bono has done lyrically.

i think the lyrics are really good...certainly more abstract this time around, with some cool imagery.

no way this is the best song on the album. i've heard the so called "beach clips" and the songs Magnificent and Unknown Caller are amazing even with the poor audio quality.

"All that you can't leave behind" is in my top 3 -- primarily because of the lyrics, tbh. Walk On and Beautiful Day are in my top 10 of their songs.

Not that I have actually force ranked their albums or picked a top 10 -- just if I did :lol

Agreed that is Bono's MO but he crossed the line into something close to self-parody a long time ago. A little restraint would really serve him and his audience well.

I'm a big U2 and Bono fan, but I agree. I had to turn away when he did the "fake politician" form the podium thing. Tone it down a little, Bono!