U2 - new single

Can we start a thread about bands/musicians that you'll never GET

I swear I will never get the love for U2. They have had a number of listenable tunes throughout the years, but what a bunch of overblown pompous crap. To me the whole Zooropa (sp) was the best. It was half serious with cute little tunes.

A Beautiful Day? I'm sorry if I'm downing someone's thing, because I hate when people say stuff like Ryan Adams is just a spoiled brat, but I really struggle with U2.

Other bands I don't get: (I'll leave off Radiohead post OK computer because I will get enough backlash with my U2 hatred)

Grizzley Bear?

Oh I don't have the energy for this (not a band name, a statement)

Can we start a thread about bands/musicians that you'll never GET

I swear I will never get the love for U2. They have had a number of listenable tunes throughout the years, but what a bunch of overblown pompous crap. To me the whole Zooropa (sp) was the best. It was half serious with cute little tunes.

A Beautiful Day? I'm sorry if I'm downing someone's thing, because I hate when people say stuff like Ryan Adams is just a spoiled brat, but I really struggle with U2.

There are already threads for that sort of thing.

I don't know your age, but I have been listening to U2 since I was 16/17 (1982/1983) years old. I may not care for every album they put out, but to me, they are real, just as R.E.M. and Pearl Jam are real.

Apparently you do, and in a thread for fans of the band.

What's the point?

Go make your silly thread about hating some music. Sounds like a great time.

I apologize, and you are right.

Sometimes when it comes to music I get pissed about what I hear vs. what others hear.

I can get overly passionate and disrespectful with this and it is childish and stupid.

Very few bands cause this response in me, and U2 is one of them. I think it is just Bono, but that is not the point.

I should have not even read the thread in the first place, since I knew the reaction I would have.

Alright.

"Am I buggin ya? I don't mean to bug ya!" Every kid who wants to be in a band should watch that and be asked "Can you do that"? That man is a rock star. And their new song is fantastic.

I've always loved "In a Little While"

ATYCLB is my least favorite U2 album, but I love that song so much. It's playful but heartfelt, too, and probably the closest Bono has ever gotten to blue-eyed soul.

I've been a U2 fan since I was 13. They were the first band I ever loved, and though I'm not sure I'd rank them even in my top five favorite bands now, they're a band I always go back to. Critics and naysayers can say what they will, but there's nothing quite like a U2 show. From what I'm hearing, it sounds like the new tour will likely be in stadiums, which I'm not crazy about, but I'll definitely try to see them at least once this year.

I listened to the new song a lot in the first 24 hours it was out, and I'm still really liking it, but I've put it aside so I don't burn out on it right away.

"Am I buggin ya? I don't mean to bug ya!" Every kid who wants to be in a band should watch that and be asked "Can you do that"? That man is a rock star. And their new song is fantastic.

It was really cool to see that on the big screen in a movie theater when it first came out.

I was 9 and wanted to go see it with my older cousin, who I always tried to imitate because I thought he was so cool, and my mom wouldn't let me go :lol That cousin eventually gave me his cassette copy of Under A Blood Red Sky when I got into the band on my own. Not long after that, I realized he wasn't cool and was actually a jackass, but at least I got my first copy of UABRS from him.

I should have not even read the thread in the first place, since I knew the reaction I would have.

Alright.

It's cool - I've been a fan for so long I may overreact to criticism.

It was really cool to see that on the big screen in a movie theater when it first came out.

I wore my first leather jacket for the first time when I went to see that, and I asked the usher if they could turn up the sound.

Also, I may be the biggest U2 fan who has never seen them.

I may not care for every album they put out, but to me, they are real, just as R.E.M. and Pearl Jam are real.

Well said.

I can understand WHY Bono may rub some people the wrong way, but Bono IS real. That's just the way he is.

I bought the Red Rocks DVD, filmed in 1983, and he was the same way then. He just oozed bravado and a confident cockiness and had that theatrical-ness about him. And he speaks even then of the big picture....as if he already knew that U2 were gonna be huge and important.

I have a lot of respect for Bono and how he's tried to make a positive difference in the world, even when he at times comes across like a big shot.

song is pretty lame imo

My ambivalence to this band has already been stated several times but this single is quite poor as a lead off single for an album. Usually they have a fairly decent stab at a first single even if it pales over time. This one never even gets out of sounding like a studio experiment.

Yeah, it especially reminds me of the Jackknife Lee remix of Fast Cars. It makes me wonder if they might resurrect that for the next tour. It was a lot of fun the few times I heard them play it.

I listened to the new single a lot in the first two days it was out, but I haven't played it since then. I don't dislike it, but I guess the novelty has sort of worn off. Part of it may also be that I'm getting caught up on the music I got for Christmas and a few other things I pre-ordered months ago that are finally coming out.