Was going to put this in the show us your gear, put though id see what others do at home...i get some great recordings so far and rehearsals go unfettered as the neighbors cant hear a thing...i had to completely re-wire the upstairs lights and recepticles, quite an education...carpeted walls surprisingly effective...heres a few pics, you cant see the cool rugs from Lowes , the mic cabinet, and floor monitors, but you get the idea...

IMG_9632.jpg

IMG_9633.jpg

IMG_9634.jpg

few more...

IMG_9635.jpg

IMG_9636.jpg

Very nice, looks like a good place to go when the creativity hits! Is that a Vox amp peaking out in one picture? I just recorded some music using one of those for the first time and I was pretty impressed with it's sound, I have always been a Fender person. Carpeting is actually quite effective, use to do the same thing in my basement.

Since I don't have the extra room in my house (used to have the room, but now there's a baby on the way) my studio is pretty much portable. Whenever it's time to record, we either temporarily covert a room at my house, or another band members house. It seems to work pretty well. We're almost finished with our album at my house, then it's time to make room for the little one. :)

Pretty damn sweet.

When the wifee and I bought our house, we each took a room to make our own. Made mine into a music room, as well. No amps and cables for me, however. Just acoustics. Still, a great sanctuary.

Congrats on yours. Pretty sweet.

BTW, are those 1960's Gibson LG's on the wall?

What's your address and what hours are you usually away?? ;)

Dont scare me i live in the hood...

Very nice, looks like a good place to go when the creativity hits! Is that a Vox amp peaking out in one picture? I just recorded some music using one of those for the first time and I was pretty impressed with it's sound, I have always been a Fender person. Carpeting is actually quite effective, use to do the same thing in my basement.

Its sublime to be able walk up the stairs and just go...yes...thats a vox ac30, i split time between that and the fender drri...the delays i use offer me the option of stereo out to two amps...im on a roxy music tribute album where i went space echo and akai headrush out to left and right, way cool...

this setup is awesome!

i like how you soundproofed the walls... functional and good looking. what kinda stuff did you use?

thanks, cheap...lowes had a sale on floor rugs and i matched sizes to the space i had to fill...about $35 each for 7x5 and the ones ive got on the floor i got for $21 on clearance...i lucked out as well because i have a wrap around attic you cant really see so the walls in the pics are inside the house--the only exterior wall is the one with the windows==no sound outside...

Pretty damn sweet.

When the wifee and I bought our house, we each took a room to make our own. Made mine into a music room, as well. No amps and cables for me, however. Just acoustics. Still, a great sanctuary.

Congrats on yours. Pretty sweet.

BTW, are those 1960's Gibson LG's on the wall?

Thanks man, you are fortunate to have your own space...im mostly an acoustic guy myself...yes, a '64 b25 and an LGO from '65...

Since I don't have the extra room in my house (used to have the room, but now there's a baby on the way) my studio is pretty much portable. Whenever it's time to record, we either temporarily covert a room at my house, or another band members house. It seems to work pretty well. We're almost finished with our album at my house, then it's time to make room for the little one. :)

guess my songs are my babies...ill always remember the first time i heard my dad play 'danny's song' and 'the night they drove ol' dixie down' on acoustic one night...lamrod, youll surely have the pleasure of imparting music unto your child in such a defining manner...my father will pass down to me a '20's martin he got from his father, and yet, its not so much about the instrument and more something less tangible...

guess my songs are my babies...ill always remember the first time i heard my dad play 'danny's song' and 'the night they drove ol' dixie down' on acoustic one night...lamrod, youll surely have the pleasure of imparting music unto your child in such a defining manner...my father will pass down to me a '20's martin he got from his father, and yet, its not so much about the instrument and more something less tangible...

Wow, a 20's Martin! And I know exactly what you mean about it being something less tangible. I can remember my Dad playing "Leader of The Band" when I was a kid and hoping someday that I could play as well as him. I also remember the day when I was in my late teens and my Dad saying "Son, your playing is really coming along.. You are better than me now."

I have two sons now, one is 4 and the other is 5 and they are already starting to show signs of musical talent. Especially my 4 year old, he can hum along to any Wilco song and by right on key. :yes

Playing music is something that my wife and I enjoy doing together and I feel bad sometimes that the kids are left out.. I'll just be glad when they are old enough to play, so they can start jamming with us.

My wife has recently invaded my music room. You see, the music room is really more of a man-cave with multiple purposes. I have my meager studio set-up: computer recording system using Sonar and a midi input keyboard, my guitars (rebuilt strat, '52 tele reissue, '67 Gibson Dove, and Epiphone ES-335), bass, banjo, and mandolin hanging on the walls, and my lap steel, and amps/pedals set-up and miked. I'll try to post some pictures at some point. The studio has to share space with my tv/xbox360, a little area for painting (I'm a pretty horrible painter, but I find it relaxing), and, unfortunately, the laundry room off to the side (so no recording when the wife is doing laundry). While it may not be the best studio space, it's a hell of a retreat for me to go play a little Fallout 3, paint, watch some netflix, play some guitar, record whatever comes to mind, or have my buddies over to watch a game or play some music. For Christmas, my brother-in-law gave me Rock Band for the xbox, and we picked up a couple of guitar controllers and the drums. To my complete surprise, my wife loves Rock Band and is constantly coming up the man-cave to play. I actually enjoy the game, but I tend to play drums or sing -- the guitars and bass have no real correlation to the real thing, and it throws me off. Anyway, it's actually a lot of fun, and there's nothing wrong with a couple having shared interests, but the room has become less "mine." Still, it's nice of the wife to allow me to take over what is probably the largest room in the house with all my stuff in a manner that is not particularly aesthetically pleasing compared to the rest of our carefully decorated home (though I think she wants to paint it to bring it a little more in line with the rest of the house). Strangely enough, the carpet in my man-cave is that same navy carpet that Rowboat appears to have in his, and my wife wants to paint it a color similar to his. That navy carpet is great in the sense that you can spill stuff all over it, and no one will ever know.

On a different note, I've started picking up a radio station on my guitars and occasionally through my recording pre-amp. I think I can move the amps to a different circuit to help out with this, but the pre-amp needs to stay with the computer. Any suggestions. I've been meticulous about avoiding intersecting cords and all that, but I'm still picking up interference. I've resigned myself to not having the best acoustics in the room (high, triangular ceiling with beams running across -- lots of room for weird deflections of sound, etc.) and often record the amps inside a closet, but this interference thing is really bugging me.

Wow, a 20's Martin! And I know exactly what you mean about it being something less tangible. I can remember my Dad playing "Leader of The Band" when I was a kid and hoping someday that I could play as well as him. I also remember the day when I was in my late teens and my Dad saying "Son, your playing is really coming along.. You are better than me now."

I can remember my dad playing "Blackbird" on the Gibson Dove he eventually gave to me, and it was a nice moment when I was able to play it better than the old man and he actually seemed pleased instead of bested (at least I could "beat" him at something -- I never had that moment when I was able to school him at basketball. At least not before his knees gave out).

My wife has recently invaded my music room. You see, the music room is really more of a man-cave with multiple purposes. I have my meager studio set-up: computer recording system using Sonar and a midi input keyboard, my guitars (rebuilt strat, '52 tele reissue, '67 Gibson Dove, and Epiphone ES-335), bass, banjo, and mandolin hanging on the walls, and my lap steel, and amps/pedals set-up and miked. I'll try to post some pictures at some point. The studio has to share space with my tv/xbox360, a little area for painting (I'm a pretty horrible painter, but I find it relaxing), and, unfortunately, the laundry room off to the side (so no recording when the wife is doing laundry). While it may not be the best studio space, it's a hell of a retreat for me to go play a little Fallout 3, paint, watch some netflix, play some guitar, record whatever comes to mind, or have my buddies over to watch a game or play some music. For Christmas, my brother-in-law gave me Rock Band for the xbox, and we picked up a couple of guitar controllers and the drums. To my complete surprise, my wife loves Rock Band and is constantly coming up the man-cave to play. I actually enjoy the game, but I tend to play drums or sing -- the guitars and bass have no real correlation to the real thing, and it throws me off. Anyway, it's actually a lot of fun, and there's nothing wrong with a couple having shared interests, but the room has become less "mine." Still, it's nice of the wife to allow me to take over what is probably the largest room in the house with all my stuff in a manner that is not particularly aesthetically pleasing compared to the rest of our carefully decorated home (though I think she wants to paint it to bring it a little more in line with the rest of the house). Strangely enough, the carpet in my man-cave is that same navy carpet that Rowboat appears to have in his, and my wife wants to paint it a color similar to his. That navy carpet is great in the sense that you can spill stuff all over it, and no one will ever know.

On a different note, I've started picking up a radio station on my guitars and occasionally through my recording pre-amp. I think I can move the amps to a different circuit to help out with this, but the pre-amp needs to stay with the computer. Any suggestions. I've been meticulous about avoiding intersecting cords and all that, but I'm still picking up interference. I've resigned myself to not having the best acoustics in the room (high, triangular ceiling with beams running across -- lots of room for weird deflections of sound, etc.) and often record the amps inside a closet, but this interference thing is really bugging me.

id like to see the pics...

Once i got out of the habit of putting beer bottles up on stuff, the sting of repeatedly spilling beers up there is finally numbed...the towel hanging in the closet pic is the spill-kill, and yes, those blue carpets hide alot...

I havent had interference issues like that...are your guitars shielded inside? And wah pedals in particular pickup radio, could that be a player? Sounds like youre getting something other than the usual 60 cycle stuff...also, ceiling fans and light faders are generally culprits...alot of folks blame tubes in amps and pres, but i havent experienced any higher occurance in tube electronic vs other

id like to see the pics...

Once i got out of the habit of putting beer bottles up on stuff, the sting of repeatedly spilling beers up there is finally numbed...the towel hanging in the closet pic is the spill-kill, and yes, those blue carpets hide alot...

I havent had interference issues like that...are your guitars shielded inside? And wah pedals in particular pickup radio, could that be a player? Sounds like youre getting something other than the usual 60 cycle stuff...also, ceiling fans and light faders are generally culprits...alot of folks blame tubes in amps and pres, but i havent experienced any higher occurance in tube electronic vs other

Yeah, the guitars are shielded. Also, I'm picking up the same interference when using headphones (yet strangely enough, not through my monitors). My wah is currently not hooked up to my pedal board, and there are no lights with faders. There is, however, a ceiling fan. Also, the interference is relatively new -- I've had the same setup for a while, but the interference just started a few months ago. Weird. I'm also not using a CRT computer screen (which, in my experience, can really create serious noise through pickups). Anyway, the house was built in the early 60's, and thus the wiring leaves a little to be desired. There seems to be little rhyme or reason surrounding what outlets are on what fuse together.

Cellphone??

im reaching...

No, it seems to be picking up a radio station -- a really crappy station at that. I just can't figure out why this is just now happening, but I'm going to try plugging the amps into a different circuit and make sure all the cables in my recording rig aren't crossing. Not too long ago, my audio interface (a Lexicon) went dead, and I ended up just going with my older M-audio interface (which isn't that much of a step down) while waiting to upgrade. Perhaps when popping it into the set-up, I crossed some cables or left a loose connection. I'll let you know how it works out. It should be a busy weekend -- I'm also going to be rewiring my strat and putting in a treble bleed. I also need to record some tracks for a friend who is re-editing an independent movie he made and needs some stuff for the soundtrack (he's trying to get it into some festivals and feels like adding music might improve a few of the scenes). I'm looking forward to using some of the video-synching features of Sonar when composing the music.

No, it seems to be picking up a radio station -- a really crappy station at that. I just can't figure out why this is just now happening, but I'm going to try plugging the amps into a different circuit and make sure all the cables in my recording rig aren't crossing. Not too long ago, my audio interface (a Lexicon) went dead, and I ended up just going with my older M-audio interface (which isn't that much of a step down) while waiting to upgrade. Perhaps when popping it into the set-up, I crossed some cables or left a loose connection. I'll let you know how it works out. It should be a busy weekend -- I'm also going to be rewiring my strat and putting in a treble bleed. I also need to record some tracks for a friend who is re-editing an independent movie he made and needs some stuff for the soundtrack (he's trying to get it into some festivals and feels like adding music might improve a few of the scenes). I'm looking forward to using some of the video-synching features of Sonar when composing the music.

Bigwheeledwagon:

I am having the same problem as you... I do not have the problem when I plug my Strat directly into my blues Junior. When I add an effect between the guitar and the amp, I can faintly hear a radio station. The louder I turn up the gain on the amp the louder the radio station gets. Also, the radio staion level goes down when I stop touching the strings or metal parts of the guitar- leaving it floating. It seems to be a combination of things brings this out. Do these symptoms sound familiar to you?

when you do, start a new thread on it, ive never done video and would like to hear how it meshes

This makes me think... Surely there's a forum of indie filmmaker dudes out there somewhere who are wondering where they can get cool, lo-fi recordings...

Imagine how cool it would be to somehow pair up indie musicians with indie film makers. I know I'd definitely give away plenty of music for just the promise of "if we make a bazillion dollars somehow, we'll pay you a cut then."

This makes me think... Surely there's a forum of indie filmmaker dudes out there somewhere who are wondering where they can get cool, lo-fi recordings...

Imagine how cool it would be to somehow pair up indie musicians with indie film makers. I know I'd definitely give away plenty of music for just the promise of "if we make a bazillion dollars somehow, we'll pay you a cut then."

well...giving it away is the key there...ive already been burnt in a situation where i was contacted by a director to do a score, only to do the work and have him back out at the last minute (over budget)...he then tried to force me to submit the compositions to him for free...filmmakers are generally not my kind of people

i was approached by craig brewer (Hustle & Flow, Black Snake Moan) here in town to do some work on one of his projects, but in the end i suspected i would just be getting used and turned him down...matter of fact, on another date, i was playing a show at a local hole when he came in with a film crew and was planning on doing a scene...after a chat he suggested i go ahead and play my set and ignore him and his posse (impossible) and that theyd shoot and leave quickly...i told him to do his deal and then id start, convinced that he was trying to get the performance on film for free in the backround of his scene

so sure, if you simply give it away, theres not much a way youll get screwed, but you prolly wont get much return for your efforts