Michael Phelps rockin' the bong

The air that you're drawing through the hose has to come from somewhere - it comes through the bowl at the top, bringing the smoke with it - through the water (the bubbles) and up through the hose.

But where do the bubbles come from? If you're sucking air in, it sucks the smoke down into the pipe, and then into your mouth. But how does the water bubble when you're drawing smoke through air?

If you put a straw straight into a glass of water and blow, the bubbles are formed because you're adding air to the liquid. But you aren't adding air in this case, you're just moving it through an empty space, right?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But where do the bubbles come from? If you're sucking air in, it sucks the smoke down into the pipe, and then into your mouth. But how does the water bubble when you're drawing smoke through air?

If you put a straw straight into a glass of water and blow, the bubbles are formed because you're adding air to the liquid. But you aren't adding air in this case, you're just moving it through an empty space, right?

Are you a narc?

I'm sure there's a diagram of this online somewhere, but I'm not going to google it from work! :lol

Jen, I think you're sort of pulling air/smoke/whatever you're inhaling through the water. It's been a while since I was up close and personal with the equipment, so I'm having a hard time picturing the exact set-up.

Yes, smoke is pulled through the water and the smoke bubbles up to the top of the water

From wikipedia

The jar at the bottom of the hookah is filled with water sufficient to submerge a few centimeters of the body tube, which is sealed tightly to it. Tobacco is placed inside the bowl at the top of the hookah and a burning charcoal is placed on top of the tobacco. Some cultures cover the bowl with perforated tin foil to separate the coal and the tobacco, which minimizes inhalation of coal ash with the smoke.

When one inhales via the hose, air is pulled through the coal and into the bowl. The air, hot from the charcoal, roasts the tobacco, producing smoke. This smoke passes down through the body tube, which extends into the water in the jar. It bubbles up through the water and fills the top part of the jar, to which the hose is attached. When a smoker inhales from the hose, smoke passes into the lungs, and the change in pressure in the jar pulls more air through the charcoal, continuing the process

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hookah-lookthrough.svg

The gas (air and smoke mixture) makes the bubbles. Some of the material in the smoke leaches into the water, making bongwater, but most of it comes out the other end, cooled down somewhat.

The air you're sucking in starts with the open bowl, then down a tube that ends up below the water's surface. The tube that's connected to the mouthpiece connects to the hookah above the water. In order for the air to get to the mouthpiece-tube, it has to pass through water - thus, the bubbles.

A hookah is kind of like a reverse-constructed bong - the bowls and mouthpieces of each are in the opposite positions.

The air you're sucking in starts with the open bowl, then down a tube that ends up below the water's surface. The tube that's connected to the mouthpiece connects to the hookah above the water. In order for the air to get to the mouthpiece-tube, it has to pass through water - thus, the bubbles.

OK, this is where we were hung up. The hookahs that we were talking about (our friend was home from Saudi Arabia and was telling us how everyone smokes a kind of solidified tobacco using hookahs) has nothing protruding into the water. If one of the tubes went into the water it would make perfect sense. But nothing was sticking into the water.

I'll click on that Wiki link when I get home. :P

Eight arrests in bong scandal!

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29125081/

One for each gold medal!

Eight arrests in bong scandal!

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29125081/

One for each gold medal!

I don't get it, did they find residue or something? How can they prove they were smoking pot from a picture? I remember the drill, we used to have to ask for a "Tobacco pipe" from the head shop because they would not sell you a "Bong". Can't they say they were smoking something legal?

Once saw a thing with three intersecting rings: Matted hair; blood shot eyes; smells funny. Where they intersected was "hippie or swimmer."

you could add 'nude' to your description. swimmers and hippies like to get naked.