Michael Phelps rockin' the bong

Jeez, what a dope - millions in endorsements down the tubes - except maybe ez-wider papers.

Olympic great Michael Phelps acknowledged "regrettable" behavior and "bad judgment" after a photo in a British newspaper Sunday showed him inhaling from a marijuana pipe.

In a statement released Sunday, the swimmer who won a record eight gold medals at the Beijing Games did not dispute the authenticity of the exclusive picture published Satruday by the tabloid News of the World.

"I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment," Phelps said. "I'm 23 years old and despite the successes I've had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again."

News of the World said the picture was taken during a November house party while Phelps was visiting the University of South Carolina. During that trip, he attended one of the school's football games and received a big ovation when he was introduced to the crowd.

While the newspaper did not specifically allege that Phelps was smoking pot, it did say the pipe is generally used for that purpose and anonymously quoted a partygoer who said the Olympic champion was "out of control from the moment he got there."

The party occurred nearly three months after the Olympics, while Phelps was taking a long break from training, and apparently would have no impact on the eight golds he won at Beijing. He has never tested positive for banned substances and even agreed to extra testing before the games.

Under more flexible sanctions the World Anti-Doping Agency adopted for 2009, first-time offenders who commit particularly bad infractions can face suspensions of up to four years.

The current standard for first-time offenders is a two-year ban no matter the violation.

The U.S. Olympic Committee released a statement in response to Phelps' apology Sunday.

"We are disappointed in the behavior recently exhibited by Michael Phelps," the statement said. "Michael is a role model, and he is well aware of the responsibilities and accountability that come with setting a positive example for others, particularly young people. In this instance, regrettably, he failed to fulfill those responsibilities.

"Michael has acknowledged that he made a mistake and apologized for his actions. We are confident that, going forward, Michael will consistently set the type of example we all expect from a great Olympic champion."

Phelps was in Tampa, Fla., during Super Bowl week to make promotional appearances on behalf of a sponsor. But he left the city before Sunday's game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Arizona Cardinals, abandoning his original plan to be at Raymond James Stadium.

Phelps returned to the pool a couple of weeks ago to begin preparations for this summer's world championships in Rome. He plans to take part in his first post-Olympics meet in early March, a Grand Prix event in Austin, Texas.

This isn't the first embarrassing episode for Phelps after an Olympic triumph. In 2004, a few months after winning six gold and two bronze medals in Athens, the swimmer was arrested on a drunken driving charge at age 19. He pleaded guilty and apologized for the mistake.

In his book "No Limits: The Will to Succeed," Phelps recounted how his first phone call was to his agent, and not his mother or coach Bob Bowman, because he knew they would yell at him.

Later, he called Bowman, who was supportive but told him, "Michael, just because you want to blow off some steam doesn't mean you can be an idiot."

Debbie Phelps, his mother, cried at the news of his drunken driving charge.

"That hurt worse, maybe, than anything," Phelps wrote. "I had never seen my mother that upset."

Bowman did not immediately respond to phone and e-mail messages from The Associated Press on Sunday.

Olympic teammate Dara Torres said Phelps has become such a prominent figure that everything he does is news.

However, she said: "This in no way shape or form diminishes anything he's done."

"It's sort of a double-edged sword," Torres told the AP on Sunday. "When you're recognizable, you're looked up to as a role model. He is recognizable and everything you do gets looked at and picked apart. I guess that's the price of winning 14 Olympic medals."

Jason Lezak, whose remarkable anchor leg of the 400-meter freestyle relay helped Phelps stay on course to break Mark Spitz's record in Beijing, said he was "saddened" to hear of the report.

"While I don't condone his conduct, I am a teammate and fan," Lezak said in a text message to the AP on Saturday night. "Unlike many fair-weather people, I am sticking by him. If my wife and I can help him in any way, we will. I believe he will grow from this and be better person, role model and teammate."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate that he had to call what he did "regrettable" and said he used "Bad Judgement" when really neither one of them is the case. I know he has to do it to hang on to his endorsements but it still sucks. Just hard for me to get worked up about anyone smoking pot.

I hate that he had to call what he did "regrettable" and said he used "Bad Judgement" when really neither one of them is the case. I know he has to do it to hang on to his endorsements but it still sucks. Just hard for me to get worked up about anyone smoking pot.

Perhaps it's not regrettable, but I'm not sure how it's not bad judgement as a public figure to allow himself to be photographed doing something illegal.

Perhaps it's not regrettable, but I'm not sure how it's not bad judgement as a public figure to allow himself to be photographed doing something illegal.

Yeah, I guess it was bad judgement in doing it so publicly but I was referring to doing it at all.

9162800_36_3.jpg

His techniques is not bad. However, he does seem a little over anxious about the bowl deal......er I mean WHOLE deal.

Imagine the munchies you could have when you are allowed 9000 calories in a sitting.

Can we just legalize the stuff already?

Maybe by the time we're in wheelchairs, man. That would be pretty handy - hoverround equipped with a beer holder and roachclip. :thumbup

9162800_36_3.jpg

His techniques is not bad. However, he does seem a little over anxious about the bowl deal......er I mean WHOLE deal.

You can barely tell its him! Why admit it?

You can barely tell its him! Why admit it?

Because now it goes away. By the time Presidents Day rolls around, no one will care.

I find it amusing how the mainstream press cannot apparently bring itself to use the word "bong" in a news story.

For the money the dick probably got, I would have done it too.

That's good. Maybe this will take the attention off the Confederate Flag at the statehouse!

That's actually been a non-issue lately. People are more concerned with losing their jobs and the Governor is too busy fighting with the Employment Security Commission over their unemployment payments. Fun times in the Capital City!

I'm really interested to hear what Duce Staley has to say about the Phelps pic. He's the one who invited him to the game that weekend, but I don't know if he had any connection to the party. Supposedly Phelps is dating some girl here.