Eddie Van Halen and the new "Wolfgang"

I don't understand what happened to his sound. His guitar tone on the first 3 albums is so much better than later albums. Hopefully this new guitar is closer to the old sound, although really, Van Halen lost relevance a long, long time ago.

When I worked at a music store in my youth, we used to sell his Peavey model (the red one with all the random stripes). What a piece of crap that was. We had a guy that hung out in the store and kind of worked there at times who was a guitar player in Buddy Guy's band (and is now a pretty talented solo blues guitar player in his own right), and I did enjoy hearing him demonstrate it to all the goofy kids by playing "Eruption." Kids would buy that thing thinking that the guitar would somehow make them able to play like that. They would often come in later complaining that it didn't sound the same when they got it home. Good times.

On a totally off-topic note, thinking about the gear we sold makes me realize what a truly sad time the early-to-mid-nineties was for guitar gear. I don't think we sold a single tube amp at the store, but in those days it seemed like a daunting prospect to travel an hour to Nashville (for teenagers, who were a lot of our guitar business) and kids didn't seem to understand the difference. Of course, we didn't sell Fender products then because the store owner had gotten into some sort of dispute with the Fender rep, and they wouldn't let him sell Fender guitars without carrying every product they made. For a music store in a small Southern town, it was a tough proposition to have to carry more than a few strats and teles. We still did a good bit of business with used Fenders (I got my first Strat there). The store now carries Fender gear though and also does a lot of business on ebay. I don't know how they stay in business in the age of musicians friend, but I'm glad they do (I'm guessing that selling school band instruments is still a major source of money). I remember charging $7-$10 for a pack of strings, which made my lifetime employee discount a must. They did cut me a really good deal on my '52 tele reissue, though, but I think they were under the impression that it was defectively wired (it was wired in the original '52 configuration, which I eventually updated the modern wiring).

The Fenders they make these days are actualy really good quality unlike the stuff from the early 90's. I love my 52 Tele re-issue. It is now my main guitar because you can play anything on it.

evh_van_halen.jpg

I made one of these out of cardboard and brought it to school on the bus when I was in seventh grade. My peers treated me like a hero that day. By lunchtime it had been taken away by my bitch science teacher Miss Pugh and I never got it back.

evh_van_halen.jpg

I made one of these out of cardboard and brought it to school on the bus when I was in seventh grade. My peers treated me like a hero that day. By lunchtime it had been taken away by my bitch science teacher Miss Pugh and I never got it back.

I also had an evil teacher named Ms. Pugh in middle school -- I can't remember what subject she taught, though. Funny.

evh_van_halen.jpg

Hell yes! I like this.

On a totally off-topic note, thinking about the gear we sold makes me realize what a truly sad time the early-to-mid-nineties was for guitar gear. I don't think we sold a single tube amp at the store, but in those days it seemed like a daunting prospect to travel an hour to Nashville (for teenagers, who were a lot of our guitar business) and kids didn't seem to understand the difference. Of course, we didn't sell Fender products then because the store owner had gotten into some sort of dispute with the Fender rep, and they wouldn't let him sell Fender guitars without carrying every product they made. For a music store in a small Southern town, it was a tough proposition to have to carry more than a few strats and teles. We still did a good bit of business with used Fenders (I got my first Strat there). The store now carries Fender gear though and also does a lot of business on ebay. I don't know how they stay in business in the age of musicians friend, but I'm glad they do (I'm guessing that selling school band instruments is still a major source of money). I remember charging $7-$10 for a pack of strings, which made my lifetime employee discount a must. They did cut me a really good deal on my '52 tele reissue, though, but I think they were under the impression that it was defectively wired (it was wired in the original '52 configuration, which I eventually updated the modern wiring).

it is a sad time now when the only stores that make it like MF,GC, Best Buy, etc...even with such amazing quality and tech out there now, most cities family music stores all unable stay afloat, and most cant make a deal to carry the bigs names...theres only 3 in memphis now besides GC and Best buy...and their stocks are small for the most part