I have been keeping my eye out on Fender Telecasters for the last year or so, and there is one available locally that is a 1996 Made in Mexico. The guys picked it up at the Orlando NAMM show and it seems in good condition and at a good price. Anyone have any experience with the MIM Fenders, and more specifically the one's from the mid-90's? I feel very educated and informed when it comes to shopping for acoustic guitars, but with electrics not so much. Obviously I am not looking for a vintage world class instrument, just a good solid body to mess around with. Any advice would be much appreciated...thanks!

I had a MIM strat until recently, and I have a higher end MIM Tele (the Muddy Waters model). Both are solid and perfectly playable instruments. Tele's are such simple instruments that you could probably tell right away if something were wrong with it. I think new MIM Teles sold for $299 in the mid-late '90s. There are probably hundreds (if not thousands) of used MIM Fenders on the market these days in the $175 - $250 range.

This probably won't help much but if you can sell a few kids, save some money, rob a liquor store, the 52 reissue is the greatest guitar ever. I have literally played Godsmack and Johnny Cash, and everything in between on it. The neck is like butter. It stays in tune, has the Tele twang. But to go back to your original question, I don't know anything about the MIM Tele. I will see what I can find out though.

I've had one for a little over ten years and I couldn't be happier with it. I really have zero complaints about it. For all I've put it through, its paid for itself ten times over.

i just got one actually, 279 used. missing a knob, but it plays great.

One other thing, now that I read this post. Parts for MIM Tele's are very easy to come by. Most independent music stores (if you can find one) can drum them up. Even guitar center has helped in the past. And they are so simple to work on.

MIM Teles are great bang for the Buck.

Assuming your getting it from a reputable shop who'll ensure it's set up for you, you really can't go wrong.

Any specific questions you might have will probably get an enthusiastic response from these folks here at the Telecaster Forum.

Thanks so much for all of the feedback. Yeah, this is an independent store that I trust so I think the set up will be good. I would love to go with the '52 reissue, but that is not in the budget right now! I am going to go back down to the store this weekend and play it some more to make a decision. The advice I have received on this forum has always been spot on...thanks.

Here's the thing with Fender:

You can buy a MIM, which is built in Mexico, by Mexicans. Or, you can buy a MIA, which is built in America, by Mexicans.

all kidding aside, the MIMs are really good guitars.

And then you have the ones in which the parts are made in America, then shipped to Mexico for assembly. I think those are the ones named after players...Muddy Waters Tele, Jimmy Vaughan Strat, etc.

On the topic of teles, this is the only tele that should matter http://archive.liveauctioneers.com/archive/219/0029_2_lg.jpg

I think this tele is in the Rock and roll hall of fame in Cleveland. I stared at it for hours. It's the one from the rooftop show as well as many Abbey Road recordings. I couldn't believe I was inches from it. That's the stuff I like about the R and R hall of fame.

I love that guitar. I hardly play my other guitars. It has such a sweet sound and comfortable neck. Stays in tune. Just a great guitar for the money.