Listening back it's not as bad an album as I first thought. It is very messy and too long. Tracks like 'Highly Suspicous' work alot better live. The lyrics are very poor on a few tracks (Librarian, Two Halves and Thank You Too). I supposed if you were to list the best MMJ tunes of all time not many of the songs on this album would make it....Maybe 'Touch Me Pt 2', but thats it.

By comparison, if you look at 'Z' it's much more consise, with no filler. That's why I think 'Z' is their best album to date. Quality control.

G.

>You read a few reviews telling you how great and amazing something is and you listen to it and you think "what am I missing?"

That's happened to me so many times about music recommended on this site that I wonder how those fans and I have found a common ground in Wilco. I arrived at Wilco from a classic rock/Grateful Dead/Americana/classic jazz background, whereas many on VC arrived at Wilco from a far-more-modern, indie background. I find that dichotomy fascinating.

And your gut reactions to...

7mcd04.jpg

Or really most album covers... since when do they have to have meaning?

I love that album cover. Note to bands: Bears on album cover ..........cool! Fat bald guys on album covers.................not cool!

Also I'm not saying the album cover has to have meaning, but it is the first thing I see and it does leave an impression on me. Right or wrong.

By comparison, if you look at 'Z' it's much more consise, with no filler. That's why I think 'Z' is their best album to date. Quality control.

G.

I agree.. I hate to go into a positive thread about Evil Urges and talk negative, but Evil Urges is a very weak album in my book. Too many clunkers on it. I find myself skipping around the tracks all the time, and to me that says its a weak record. I still wonder what the hell they were thinking by letting "Highly Suspicious" be publicly heard, live or on record..

Z is where its at. I can listen to that thing start-finish and never lose interest.

I agree.. I hate to go into a positive thread about Evil Urges and talk negative, but Evil Urges is a very weak album in my book. Too many clunkers on it. I find myself skipping around the tracks all the time, and to me that says its a weak record. I still wonder what the hell they were thinking by letting "Highly Suspicious" be publicly heard, live or on record..

Z is where its at. I can listen to that thing start-finish and never lose interest.

The only song of 'Z' which is not essential is 'into the woods'. Every other track is top draw. 'Wordless chorus' is a thing of beauty and gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it.

The only song of 'Z' which is not essential is 'into the woods'. Every other track is top draw. 'Wordless chorus' is a thing of beauty and gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it.

Woah, woah, woah/

Into the woods is an amazing song.

it's one of those things were you listen to the album for two years, and all of a sudden you go' holy crap, this song is amazing, how did i not see that before?!'

at least thats how it was with me

Woah, woah, woah/

it's one of those things were you listen to the album for two years, and all of a sudden you go' holy crap, this song is amazing, how did i not see that before?!'

I'll look forward to that moment of clarity then!. I know what you mean though. I kind of had that feeling with 'Knot comes loose', which didn't hit me straight away but know I love. There is a lovely version of 'Knot comes loose' on the recent i-tunes EP.

I think this record is a little uneven, but not nearly as bad as some people here are saying. There are 4 or 5 songs on this record I really like, its solid. Not every album can be amazing. I do agree Z is the better albim...personally I've been listening to Okonokos a lot recently.

I think this record is a little uneven, but not nearly as bad as some people here are saying. There are 4 or 5 songs on this record I really like, its solid. Not every album can be amazing. I do agree Z is the better albim...personally I've been listening to Okonokos a lot recently.

The 'Okonokos' dvd is so good. I could watch that all night long. I've been looking for the 'Okonokos' vinyl (with four bonus tracks) recently but can seem to track it down.

Woah, woah, woah/

the lyrics on Into The Woods are just horrendous. the song sticks out like a sore thumb as a result and is def the one weak point on Z.

as far as MMJ's records...

i'd say:

Tennessee Fire 8.1

At Dawn 9.2

It Still Moves 8.7

Z 8.5

Evil Urges 7.2

so while EU isn't bad, it's still quite a bit weaker than the rest of their catalog in my book.

hello friends. we are proud to announce and release a lil live ep that was recorded right in our very own hometown of louisville, ky. a few songs were taken from our in-store appearence at our beloved and fabled record haven "ear-x-tacy" and a few of them were taken from our concert at the fabled "waterfront park." see if you can guess which is from which. we are excited to make this a special release that you can only get at your favorite local independent record store, as now more than ever we all need to take the time to celebrate what our favorite local record stores and businesses mean to us - the value of community/human to human non- internet related physical and spiritual contact and supporting the hardworking people in your community who strive everyday to keep it unique and keep it local. we are fortunate in our travels to get to see many wonderful things, but one of the most distressing things is the increasing "normalization" of the world and how all these places are starting to look the same- everywhere you look more and more towns are starting to be filled with the same gigantic corporations, and while some of these huge companies undoubtably provide valuable services, it is so important that we realize that it is our local businesses and people (and natural landscapes, but thats a different letter) that are what make different towns worth coming to...things you can only get in one place, made and sold by people who believe in what they are doing...people who are trying to keep good weirdness alive in this crazy dome. god* bless all of you, and god* bless the world and all that kinda sh*t.

-yer pals, my morning jacket

p.s.- *the word "god*" is used here meaning anything you want it to mean and is a trademark of globo-chem worldwide.

The EP (in both CD and limited edition double 10" vinyl) will be available at finer independent retailers beginning on Record Store Day, April 18.

To find the store closer to you, click here.

For those outside these United States, click here.

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/celebracion-video.html

the lyrics on Into The Woods are just horrendous. the song sticks out like a sore thumb as a result and is def the one weak point on Z.

as far as MMJ's records...

i'd say:

Tennessee Fire 8.1

At Dawn 9.2

It Still Moves 8.7

Z 8.5

Evil Urges 7.2

so while EU isn't bad, it's still quite a bit weaker than the rest of their catalog in my book.

Z: 9

At Dawn: 8.7

It Still Moves: 8.5

Tenessee Fire: 8.3 (But getting better every time I listen to it)

Evil Urges: 7.5

• 6 months later...

Responding to an earlier post, but I am really loving 'Tennessee Fire'. Some great songs on there. I still feel 'Evil Urges' was a major backwoods step for the band. Some of the experimental tracks are good but there are some really bland moments on record (Thank You Too, Librarian, Look At You, I'm Amazed). That said, 'Touch Me Part 2' is a classic MMJ track. I'll be very interested to see what they come up with next. Jim (Yim?) seems to be evolving into a Curtis Mayfield/Erika Badu soul-man. Wasn't overly impressed with the George Harrison tribute record either really but am looking forward to Monsters of Folk. Sounds like M.Ward is the star of that record though.