Whachu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Guest Gym Teacher Man
1. I will never call it anything other than the Sears Tower

i don't care if they officially change the name because you won't be alone there. it'll always be the sears tower.

i don't care if they officially change the name because you won't be alone there. it'll always be the sears tower.

Did you check the poll on the same page as the article?

1. I will never call it anything other than the Sears Tower

As I will never refer to the Southside ballpark as anything but Comiskey.

Did you check the poll on the same page as the article?

I did. So far 3623 (including my vote) for the old name and 152 for the new.

As I will never refer to the Southside ballpark as anything but Comiskey.

The difference is that the Cell is actually a different building. I still call Macy's Marshall Fields -- especially the downtown store.

they change building names here in DC all the time, changed National Airport to be Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. Yes there was a new building added to the airport, but they didn't change out the Metro signs. You can always tell who is new to DC and who isn't based on the Airport reference. and oh the number of tourists that i have seen staring at the metro map or staying on the metro train because the sign said National Airport and had no reference to Ronald Reagan anywhere.

then there are the non-tourist destinations that get local nicknames and confuse people even more: the hinkley hilton, the soviet safeway, the social safeway, etc...

it just seems wrong to change a buildings name though. once you know the building you know it. ah well.

The difference is that the Cell is actually a different building.

It was named "Comiskey Park" when it opened in 1991. The name was even chiseled into the stone face of the building.

Wait, so you guys are upset about a thing's name being changed to something less-overtly corporate in nature? Interesting.

edit: ok, so it is still named after a corporate entity, but I choose to believe the change was inspired by a deep love of Diff'rent Strokes.

edit #2: I am not from Chicago, so I can make jokes about this because it affects me very little. To those of you whom this pisses off, I join you in saying "To hell with the bastards!!! Blaaarrgh!"

• 7 months later...