A question on strings.

This section of the board has been so helpful, I thought I may exploit it further.

I am self-taught, been playing for only 3/4 years, and really only have the deutchebanks at Guitar Center for advice :stunned

Sooo... I bought myself a Martin HD-28 for Christmas, and have been using Martin's Phospur Bronze Heavy gauge strings. They sound great, BUT, the bass on them (and the Martin) is so unbelievable, that with many Wilco/Tweedy songs (drop D, etc.) the low end just swallows up the rest of the higher strings at times.

Any recommendations on strings that would be IDEAL for Tweedy/WIlco songs on this type of guitar. I don't mind spending a couple extra bucks for the right fit.

Thanks in advance. You guys rock!

This section of the board has been so helpful, I thought I may exploit it further.

I am self-taught, been playing for only 3/4 years, and really only have the deutchebanks at Guitar Center for advice :stunned

Sooo... I bought myself a Martin HD-28 for Christmas, and have been using Martin's Phospur Bronze Heavy gauge strings. They sound great, BUT, the bass on them (and the Martin) is so unbelievable, that with many Wilco/Tweedy songs (drop D, etc.) the low end just swallows up the rest of the higher strings at times.

Any recommendations on strings that would be IDEAL for Tweedy/WIlco songs on this type of guitar. I don't mind spending a couple extra bucks for the right fit.

Thanks in advance. You guys rock!

I use D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Light on a Gibson J-45 and really get that "Tweedy" sound. However, I have a Martin that sounds much better with Bright Bronze strings. If you feel that the high notes on your guitar aren't quite there, you might try a brighter string.

I prefer medium gauge D'Addario EXP strings. Good balance between feel, tone and longevity.

But strings are very subjective. I'd suggest buying a whole bunch of different brands, gauges, types and narrow in on the ones that sound good to your ears.

However, I have a Martin that sounds much better with Bright Bronze strings.

Does your Martin do the same? I am not complaining at all about this guitar, the sound makes most everything else sound like a toy, but the low end is so intense! So, bright bonze? DiAddario brand for that as well?

I think part of the problem is that I do not use a pick. I do everything fingerstyle, and those high end strings on the heavy Phosphur Bronze are pretty thick.

I'm personally a big fan of these strings, however I do NOT like the coated / xp type ones nearly as well as those actually get duller, quicker than the uncoated ones:

martin / d'addario bluegrass strings (d'addario makes the martin ones i think)

Thank you. I will be heading to my local, giant, corporate-run music store, in the short term, to give these a go.

Does your Martin do the same? I am not complaining at all about this guitar, the sound makes most everything else sound like a toy, but the low end is so intense! So, bright bonze? DiAddario brand for that as well?

I think part of the problem is that I do not use a pick. I do everything fingerstyle, and those high end strings on the heavy Phosphur Bronze are pretty thick.

I always use Elixir Lights on it. It's an all mahogany guitar, so I figured the brighter the better.

Ahhhhh...what a great time in your process. It seems everyday there is something new and exciting about learning the guitar.

I am self taught, finger only player, myself. Started on my 30th birthday. It was one of the best things I ever did. Obsession does not do it justice.

I joined this board primarily for the Wilco tabs/chords but have grwn fond of the ... errr ... quirky nature of this place.

Anyway. It is a pleasure to have join this one. Other sites you may like are:

Acoustic Guitar Forum

Martin Guitar Forum

I am self-taught, been playing for only 3/4 years, and really only have the deutchebanks at Guitar Center for advice

BTW, I think you mis-spelled douche-bags

;)

Ahhhhh...what a great time in your process. It seems everyday there is something new and exciting about learning the guitar.

I am self taught, finger only player, myself. Started on my 30th birthday. It was one of the best things I ever did.

I joined this board primarily for the Wilco tabs/chords

Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, man, ditto. I joined for the tabs too. Fun board otherwise too. This is the first and only message board that I have ever joined. Still trying to learn some of the subtleties of posting and responding. I've been yelled at already a few times :unsure. Other than that, there seem to be some real smart, kind, helpful folks here who all share a love for my favorite band.

Ditto. I started playing the week that my first was born, because I was locked in the house and was pretty much up all night too. That was 3 weeks after my 30th birthday as well, and has become the hobby that I love and dedicate a rediculous amount of time to. I pretty much stopped golfing... I sucked anyway.

Thanks for the links, I'll have to check them out.

As for the strings, GC didn't have the Pearse or the Bluegrass strings, so I picked up some Martin "Marquis" folk strings. They are a hybrid of silk and steel :hmm with a high E that is .0115 gauge?? Never seen that before. Anyway, I will report back on them after I give them a go, if anybody is interested.

OK... first of all... these are the wierdest strings I have ever played. They are almost elastic. A little like the nylon strings. They have a much sharper (I hate to say tinny, cuz it's not really that) sound than the phosphur and definitely not as nice and warm. They are also a little bit sensitive if they are attacked to agressively because of the flexibility and may fret buzz... But they have most definitely solved the intense low-end problem and evened the sound out across the board.

Hovever, I relinquish the deutchebank title for the GC string counter manager that helped me pick out these strings. He may have nailed it for the way that I play. I've only been playing them for like a 1/2 hour, so I could be jumping the gun, but for finger-picking styles, Travis picking, etc. these are the best strings that I think I have played, and that is primarily what I do.

They sound good for strumming with my thumb too. THEY ARE NOT GOOD WITH A PICK... So if you use a pick, meh. Maybe not for you. Anthonyc007, you really may like these.

OK... first of all... these are the wierdest strings I have ever played. They are almost elastic. A little like the nylon strings. They have a much sharper (I hate to say tinny, cuz it's not really that) sound than the phosphur and definitely not as nice and warm. They are also a little bit sensitive if they are attacked to agressively because of the flexibility and may fret buzz... But they have most definitely solved the intense low-end problem and evened the sound out across the board.

Hovever, I relinquish the deutchebank title for the GC string counter manager that helped me pick out these strings. He may have nailed it for the way that I play. I've only been playing them for like a 1/2 hour, so I could be jumping the gun, but for finger-picking styles, Travis picking, etc. these are the best strings that I think I have played, and that is primarily what I do.

They sound good for strumming with my thumb too. THEY ARE NOT GOOD WITH A PICK... So if you use a pick, meh. Maybe not for you. Anthonyc007, you really may like these.

Good info, thanks. I tend to like the way strings sound better after they are played a bit. The brand new ones always sound more trebly or too bright for my taste. Gotta season them a bit like a fine Wok. I like the way new strings look and feel though!

Good info, thanks. I tend to like the way strings sound better after they are played a bit. The brand new ones always sound more trebly or too bright for my taste. Gotta season them a bit like a fine Wok. I like the way new strings look and feel though!

Agreed. My Martin doesn't sound right for a week or so. I hate new strings actually.

I go back and forth on newness. Generally I find that I prefer fresh strings when I'm playing acoustically (meaning unmic'ed, no system -- usually at my or someone else's house) but honestly get better results with a little bit of wear when recording or playing through a PA.

I definitely WRITE songs differently with fresh/bright strings vice dull ones. I find I prefer fresher strings when writing, never really thought about it before but shooting from the hip I'd guess it's because some strings are more prominent fresh than worn (if that makes any sense).

Also let me add on to the "welcome to the world of guitar" sentiments. The only advice I have is, it's your guitar and your musical adventure, you can make it sound like anything you want. For awhile I was hung up on not sounding "good enough" or something, or playing songs that other people think are "too simple."

Wish I hadn't wasted my time being self-conscious, and had asked more "dumb questions" early on. Most guitar players are cool, and almost all love to talk about how they play guitar.

been playing for only 3/4 years

^^^^^^^^^^ doesn't matter, but what I meant was between 3 and 4 years, not three quarters of a year. It has been bothering me since I wrote it. Still not that long, but... poor sentence construction. :rolleyes

I've been working these strings out for like 5 hours straight. Still like them a lot. A little rubbery, but responsive.

I do have another question regarding strings... does anybody know what kind of strings Tweedy uses primarily?

wow take a weekend off to gig and i miss all of this

fwiw i use daddario custom lights

I suspect a lot of your bass issues are because you have a nice beefy dread, lighter gauge strings might help, but youll lose sustain and tone...embrace the dread, youll likely learn to adjust your technique to deal with the boominess

wow take a weekend off to gig and i miss all of this

I suspect a lot of your bass issues are because you have a nice beefy dread, lighter gauge strings might help, but youll lose sustain and tone...embrace the dread, youll likely learn to adjust your technique to deal with the boominess

I use daddario for all my electrics but never really tried them for my acoustics. I should give them a shot.

A wonderful life lesson.

Are those the ones with the high gauge low-end and the lighter high-end? If so, that may be a win-win, keep the boom of the low-end and sharpen up the high-end. I may give those a try next.

The boom on the dread is awesome, don't get me wrong, but those heavy gauge high-ends on the Martin Phosphur Heavy set were too thick and clunky and not much power. I needed a change.

I like these Marquis a lot, but I'm sure the search will continue.

Are those the ones with the high gauge low-end and the lighter high-end? If so, that may be a win-win, keep the boom of the low-end and sharpen up the high-end.

No the lights are smaller gauge throughout the set. What you're describing is why I like the "bluegrass" strings I talked about above. They have medium-gauge for the bottom 3 or 4 strings, but light gauge on the higher pitched ones.

No the lights are smaller gauge throughout the set. What you're describing is why I like the "bluegrass" strings I talked about above. They have medium-gauge for the bottom 3 or 4 strings, but light gauge on the higher pitched ones.

I'll have to order those online. That sounds like something to try. They don't stock them at where I am.

I couldn't agree more. I have a '67 Gibson Dove, and it has some serious booming bottom end, and I've found that strings make no real difference in this regard. I have found, however, that I have adjusted my technique not just to compensate for the intense low end but also to utilize this facet of the guitar. For recording, there are numerous ways to deal with the exaggerated low tones. Also, a guitar with a powerful low end sounds great high strung (also known as Nashville tuning)

as a slight diversion, a couple of you have mentioned adapting your technique to the boominess of dreads, and I'd be interested to hear you elaborate on that. What are some things you find yourself doing differently?

My main acoustic gtr is a Taylor 314ce (cutaway) and so I don't have any boom issues (I think taylors are generally considered to be pretty bright, and the cutaway probably doesnt help). I recently got a Gibson folksinger (F-25) that I love but Ive had my eyes on a J-45 for awhile. So, I'm just curious.

Also, they are hard to find but I use (and love) LaBella Silk and Steel strings. A friend turned me on to them if any of you are looking for something different.

as a slight diversion, a couple of you have mentioned adapting your technique to the boominess of dreads, and I'd be interested to hear you elaborate on that. What are some things you find yourself doing differently?

My main acoustic gtr is a Taylor 314ce (cutaway) and so I don't have any boom issues (I think taylors are generally considered to be pretty bright, and the cutaway probably doesnt help). I recently got a Gibson folksinger (F-25) that I love but Ive had my eyes on a J-45 for awhile. So, I'm just curious.

Also, they are hard to find but I use (and love) LaBella Silk and Steel strings. A friend turned me on to them if any of you are looking for something different.

It really depends on how or what style you play. If you're a heavy strummer type its hard to control whether the low end boom is going to drown out the sweeter high end strings. But flat picking or finger picking, for me, became a matter of timing. Using those low end strings as little as possible to accentuate the overall pattern. Like a waltz or a bass drum.