pretty much delivered all it promised, but I think my 7th sxsw will be my last, for a while anyway. Passed on the big stuff (metalica, west) as i they're pretty much besides the point of the festival. saw good stuff every night, the Hold Steady ripped my head off, M Ward, A Bird, Thao With The Get Down Stay Down, Haley Bonar, more. but when you add it all up (flight, badge, hotel), you're not getting real good bang for your buck, even with free day shows.

Festivals are intense...I haven't traveled to one in years but try to do Hardly Strictly Bluegrass every year and last year Outside Lands. Its hard work :dancing I think rock tourism is at an all time high right now. Wish I was in a position to do New Orleans Jazz fest this year but will have to keep it local.

Could not agree more about The Hold Steady. Saw them with DBT and was grateful it was the last two shows of the tour or else I'd have gotten the credit card out to see a few more. :lol

pretty much delivered all it promised, but I think my 7th sxsw will be my last, for a while anyway. Passed on the big stuff (metalica, west) as i they're pretty much besides the point of the festival. saw good stuff every night, the Hold Steady ripped my head off, M Ward, A Bird, Thao With The Get Down Stay Down, Haley Bonar, more. but when you add it all up (flight, badge, hotel), you're not getting real good bang for your buck, even with free day shows.

I cant fathom why anyone would buy a badge? Face falue is around $700 and it doesnt event guarantee admission to see the big names like Metallica, REM, Beastie Boys, etc...

Nearly every band you mentioned above played a free show last week. The Hold Steady by my count must have played at least 7 of them. I have a musicans wristband (which I ended up giving away) and I think I only went to one showcase this year. The rest of my time was spent at free party's listening to great music, while drinking my filll of free beer and booze.

But then again, if folks like yourself didnt buy badges, I guess we wouldnt have a SXSW to begin with.

I cant fathom why anyone would buy a badge? Face falue is around $700 and it doesnt event guarantee admission to see the big names like Metallica, REM, Beastie Boys, etc...

Nearly every band you mentioned above played a free show last week. The Hold Steady by my count must have played at least 7 of them. I have a musicans wristband (which I ended up giving away) and I think I only went to one showcase this year. The rest of my time was spent at free party's listening to great music, while drinking my filll of free beer and booze.

But then again, if folks like yourself didnt buy badges, I guess we wouldnt have a SXSW to begin with.

Well, the badge is a lot less when you buy early, and like I said before, the big name shows are kind of besides the point of sxsw. Plus I'm already flying in from cleveland, paying for a hotel room (discounted with badge), I figure it doesn't make sense to half-ass it on the night shows.

Stuff I loved:

Tallest Man On Earth (holy shit...so good)

Port O' Brien

Phosphorescent

Alela Diane

Dark Meat

Red Red Meat

Justin Townes Earle

Dinosaur Jr.

Felice Brothers

Sam Amidon

Stuff I liked:

Those Darlins

Hacienda

Efterklang

Camera Obscura

Megafaun

Mark Sultan

Herman Dune

Horse Feathers

Stuff I hated:

Deer Tick

These Are Powers

Wavves

sxsw...what a great setup!

Saw okkervile river backing rocky erickson

I'd have to say the best set though goes to The Heartless Bastards, the chick can wail!

2 of the best things about SXSW 09: No Leslie or Beatle Bob sightings!!!

They're working on their set for ACL!

It was my first SXSW since moving here last May, and what a blast. Gigs were just coming out of the woodwork, so I didn't get to see any bands, but what a time we did have. I had old bandmates in from NJ, we played a bunch of shows and turned my house into a recording studio and made half a new record. Great week. I'm just returning to normal now!

No Leslie or Beatle Bob sightings!!!

Good for you. You should come with me to get coffee on my way to work every morning.

My partner went to SXSW without me (I got Andrew Bird and Heartless Bastards a few days prior) and his highlight (and the one that induces the greenest envy in me) was Andre Williams.