Jay Bennett posts about upcoming surgery

If Jeff, Nels, John, Pat, Glenn or Mike were having a hip replacement and couldn't afford it, I think our collective attitude would be a lot different; it's sad, but it's true.

You mean our collective attitude would be more compassionate, understanding and well-meaning? Well we've shown outpouring support in this thread to Jay prior to his lawsuit.

Other than that, I can see a lot of your points, but that doesn't make Jay's move any more acceptable. I guess he is desperate, but no matter how desperate you are, there is always a line you do not cross. Especially when people have shown they want to help you out.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer
You mean our collective attitude would be more compassionate, understanding and well-meaning? Well we've shown outpouring support in this thread to Jay prior to his lawsuit.

Other than that, I can see a lot of your points, but that doesn't make Jay's move any more acceptable. I guess he is desperate, but no matter how desperate you are, there is always a line you do not cross. Especially when people have shown they want to help you out.

I disagree. (Note: on the first page of this thread there's some snark to his initial myspace post, and that was my first reaction, too. But I already have to deal with my mother. ;) )

I think his move is perfectly acceptable. He is in pain and the only way to fix it is with money; the suit tells me he is pretty desperate for the money. I also don't think he would be making this move if he weren't partially right (or MUCH more desperate than we thought). I honestly don't think a Jay Bennett fundraiser would procure enough money for the procedure. Fans like him alright, but he's burned as many bridges in the industry as he has built; Wilco is his legacy, and he would be an idiot NOT to try to mine it once more.

Professionally, it's crass. Personally, it's crass. And yet I think I would do (or be inclined to do; I'm kind of a pansy) the same thing.

There's a story related in Kot's book (I think he quotes Bennett) about JT having a bad trip and Bennett holding him and helping him through it that sounded ... so ... creepy. But dependency/enabling his a weird cycle.

I'll bet that damn Jeff Tweedy has been short-changing Jay his share of the royalties from the Kot book.

I think the key problem with Jay leaving the band has more to do with him stepping in as engineer on YHF than anything. He freely admits that the band members were a bit resentful of him taking too much control. The problem is this, how did that door get opened to allow him to do so?

It's a common problem with Wilco in earlier years that communication was beyond poor. Ignoring problems was easier than confronting them head on to resolve them before they became bigger problems. If someone were to have pulled Jay aside before the recording of YHF and said that he can't engineer the album as well as write on it and perform on it, he may still even be in the band. But that's not the case and now we're where we're at.

Well put. I've always thought these two factors were paramount in band dynamics going south in every which way except where it mattered ......on stage in front of thousands...

-Robert