Jay Bennett posts about upcoming surgery

I wasn't sure where to put this quite frankly, so I apologize if it's in the wrong area. But, out of the blue yesterday I decided to call Jay as I hadn't spoken to him in a long while and not long afterwards he posted on his MySpace page about the need for him to have Hip Replacement Surgery due to sustaining an injury years ago while a member of Titanic Love Affair.

read it here:

Hip Replacement

Howdy friends,

I feel like I really need to check in and explain my long absence from myspace, and tell you all this little story with a sense of humor and an overall feeling of positive energy, gained from knowing that I am now moving in the right direction. I

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i, too, was worried about Jay. its like he just disappeared one day out of the blue. what you're doing sounds really cool Bhickman. Jay's been really, really nice to us, sharing stories, time, not to mention some kick ass tunes, so its only natural that we should be there for him now.

Wow.

Major vibes to Jay.

Damn. That is serious. Thinking of you, Jay Bennett. The good thing is that you can now start to recover and improve your health. Knowing is always better than not knowing.

Definitely give us the details bhickman. It would be wonderful if some musician friends and acquaintances organized a benefit show to help pay for at least some of his expenses.

Definitely give us the details bhickman. It would be wonderful if some musician friends and acquaintances organized a benefit show to help pay for at least some of his expenses.

Yeah, that'd be cool. And if it happens, honestly, Wilco should headline it. Jay may not be a member of the band anymore, but they still play a lot of songs onstage that he either co-wrote or was a crucial part of.

Regardless, major vibes to the guy, and hopefully he'll be fully mobile again really soon.

I'll be the insensitive prick in the bunch: A little melodramatic, no? God help the guy if he ever ends up with something life threatening.

BUT, I do understand that it is awful to be injured and without insurance, so I'm hoping somebody steps up and organizes a benefit that really makes a dent in the cost. And I agree with Cryptique on the Wilco front.

I'm already working on organizing something in an effort to help offset the costs of the operation and will no doubt post here again in the future with more details.

This is tough news to read ... but let us know what develops. Vibes to Jay on the surgery & rehab. If it's any consolation, hips are easier than knees recovery-wise!

All the best to Jay. We certainly love him at the MB compound.

I have a buddy who has had hip replacement surgeries on BOTH hips ( a couple of years apart) and he's fit as a fiddle now. Age 44. So I think the possibility for recovery is very good.

If someone organizes some sort of fund to help Jay with the costs of this surgery, please post a link so that we can help with donations. Lack of health insurance or being underinsured are major problems for far too many Americans -- especially musicians. Sadly, it's one of those things one has to consider when deciding whether to take the risk of being an artist of some kind or to settle for lesser and/or more realistic goals. Jay has helped create music that is far more important to me than paltry sums of money I have exchanged for the pleasure of listening to it, so I would be more than happy to contribute whatever small amount I can to a legitimate, verifiable charitable fund to make sure that Jay can get the kind of medical care that a lot of us (including me) take for granted.

Anyway, best wishes to Jay -- thoughts, prayers, and whatnot.

I'll be the insensitive prick in the bunch: A little melodramatic, no? God help the guy if he ever ends up with something life threatening.

BUT, I do understand that it is awful to be injured and without insurance, so I'm hoping somebody steps up and organizes a benefit that really makes a dent in the cost. And I agree with Cryptique on the Wilco front.

I didn't think that it was melodramatic at all. I wouldn't want to face total hip replacement surgery and I have decent health insurance. His myspace post struck me as very sincere and heartfelt. Hopefully this will produce a Gary Schepers-type of response.

I have the utmost respect for the man and his contributions to Wilco over the years, and I'll even go as far as to say I think they'd be better if he was still with them in some capacity, but you don't go to Jay Bennett expecting subtlety.

--Mike.

if i were an eccentric millionaire, id buy him a robot leg

but yeah, the benefit show idea rules. if its in new york, i know a ton of acts that would be down.

maybe i can get a new york chapter going

Jay should really look into metal legs. A risky procedure, but worth it.

In all seriousness, Jay is my favorite guitar player since 1985 and this is a major bummer. I hope there is somewhere we can contribute eventually stood up, ideally something Jay can organize via the myspace or his other site. I know I would put something in the pot.

I don't know exactly how much of Jay Bennett and how much of Jeff Tweedy is actually in "Summerteeth" (and specifically "Via Chicago"), but I know that my life changed drastically to the better because of this album.

If there is anything we can do to support Jay in making his life change to the better, please let us know. We're here to help.

Yes, about the benefit show - Wilco headlining it would be the logical dream, but if personal reasons prevent it from happening, I am sure there are other ways for people who are willing to help this talented musician out.

Keep us posted please.

I know that Jay will really appreciate hearing these kind words. I'll make sure to pass them on to him or make sure that he visits here to read them.

Nothing new to report - still a few days before he and I start hashing things out, but hopefully the base of the house will be in place come Friday.

I know that Jay will really appreciate hearing these kind words. I'll make sure to pass them on to him or make sure that he visits here to read them.

I would recommend relaying our best wishes. Some of the things written by certain people on this board about Jay are simply not very nice.

Man that sucks. A good friend of mine from church just had a hip replacement surgery a couple months ago. He did recover quickly...

I will def. contribute some money if a charity gets set up for Jay. I met him once about 5 years ago when he came through Chatt on tour for "Palace" and he was so nice to me and my dad. He actually sat down and talked with us for the better part of an hour, and even offered to help me with my algebra homework! (I was 16 at the time and having the toughest time with Algebra 2). He really was the nicest guy. :)

this thread makes me a little sad. greatest sympathies for Jay. it also reminds me of the other 45 million+ Americans that don't have health insurance facing similar situations without notoriety or a community to help them out or throw a fundraiser to keep them from filing bankruptcy or help them receive the medical care they need. what a crappy situation for anyone to have to face.

best of luck to Jay and his health.

On a related note, has anyone downloaded Jay's most recent album? It's available for free (seriously, it's the way it's being distributed) here : http://rockproper.com/

I'm 3 tracks in (not sure what took me so long to get around to it) and it's easily his best solo work. His best post-Wilco work is still The Palace At 4 A.M., but this is damn good.