started with honners but would recommend the johnsons, built a bit better for my money...HOHNER PIEDMONT BLUES 7 HARMONICA HARP SET W/CASE, not bad for the money but totally beginner stuff (you get 7 keys for low $$)

however, it is a better value to just spring for a lee oskar

holders are a pain in the ass as they generally loosen up mid song and flop down---dont skimp here

The only two things that I have found make a difference for me personally is:

1. I prefer a wood comb sound, an example that uses wood comb is the Hohner Marine Band.

2. As far as harmonica holders go, I really cannot get the wide-style ones to work for me very comfortably on a consistent basis. However I have found that the slightly-lighter, slimmer style work pretty well for me, like this one (this one is Lee Oskar):

HM23.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This is a little random but so am I so I'll carry on regardless... Does anybody know what key harp Ryan Adams uses on the Whiskeytown song 'The Ballad of Carol Lynn'? I'd be ever so grateful if somebody with a full set could tell me. As somebody who only owns an Eb and a C, I find it frustrating that it's a trial and error thing when you want to play along with something.

mini rant over, please help... :worship

so i bought the harmonica set that has the multiple harps in multiple keys...and i'm VERY pleased. not only were they really inexpensive, but they sound pretty great, too. they don't have that Bob Dylan "On The Road" piercing sound that just hurts my ears. thanks for the suggestion. i owe you one.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a little random but so am I so I'll carry on regardless... Does anybody know what key harp Ryan Adams uses on the Whiskeytown song 'The Ballad of Carol Lynn'? I'd be ever so grateful if somebody with a full set could tell me. As somebody who only owns an Eb and a C, I find it frustrating that it's a trial and error thing when you want to play along with something.

Based on the only tab I see for this song on the internet, I think it is in the key of C (so your C harp should work). If I have a chance I will try to double-check that later this week. In general if you can figure out what key a song is in, that's the harp you use. For minor keys basically it's the major that compliments the minor (so you use a G harp for a song in Em, a C for a song in Am, etc). I think there are minor key harps but most people just do what I described... Or so I've been thinking for a long time. hahah!!

Circle of fifths, man. Remember. :)

Also, reference this: Crossharp chart