Wilco -- 2009-06-13 Manchester, TN

Wasn't able to get the money together in time to get out to Bonnaroo but I downloaded the show and it sounds fantastic! The end of Handshake Drugs was incredible. Great back and forth between Jeff and the crowd throughout as well. The W(ta) tracks sound very full and polished live already which is pretty surprising but I still think they have room to grow (which should be exciting to see...the album).

How awesome is it that people are complaining about a greatest hits show? I think there is something wrong with you those of you who have that criticism.

Personally, i'm glad my favorite band in the world didn't try to shove the entire new album down my throat and try to sell it to me from the stage constantly. What an awesome set that was and I was so happy to be front and near the center on the rail for it!

I can't wait for Thursday to see them in Tucson with Grizzly Bear. This is going to be magic! Then off to Red Rocks in a couple of weeks. .........

wah wah they played a greatest hits set list. Srsly?! wtf?

How awesome is it that people are complaining about a greatest hits show? I think there is something wrong with you those of you who have that criticism.

Personally, i'm glad my favorite band in the world didn't try to shove the entire new album down my throat and try to sell it to me from the stage constantly. What an awesome set that was and I was so happy to be front and near the center on the rail for it!

I can't wait for Thursday to see them in Tucson with Grizzly Bear. This is going to be magic! Then off to Red Rocks in a couple of weeks. .........

wah wah they played a greatest hits set list. Srsly?! wtf?

You have to remember that most people on this board have seen Wilco many times over the years, and have therefore seen all the "greatest hits" many times, thus diminishing their appeal. If they play that kind of setlist when I see them in July, I'll enjoy the show, but criticize the setlists for not bringing anything rare, or new.

The joy of Wilco's constant touring is that they switch the setlists up so much, so if I was at a show and saw all songs I had seen before, I'd be a bit upset too. That being said, it was a festival, and it wasn't a Wilco headlining set, per se, so I'm not surprised they played it "safe."

You have to remember that most people on this board have seen Wilco many times over the years, and have therefore seen all the "greatest hits" many times, thus diminishing their appeal. If they play that kind of setlist when I see them in July, I'll enjoy the show, but criticize the setlists for not bringing anything rare, or new.

The joy of Wilco's constant touring is that they switch the setlists up so much, so if I was at a show and saw all songs I had seen before, I'd be a bit upset too. That being said, it was a festival, and it wasn't a Wilco headlining set, per se, so I'm not surprised they played it "safe."

I agree. I love the rare setlists but it was a festival. They definitely won some new fans over. I was just thrilled to see Misunderstood > Spiders.

Wilco with the sun-going down in Tennessee summer... I don't think there's a better definition of pure bliss.

I don't think that playing a "greatest hits" set is playing it safe, I think it's playing it smart. Hopefully they converted a whole bunch of folks to people that no longer say "Wilco who?" -- and just might buy a record or go to see them again on their own.

I don't think that playing a "greatest hits" set is playing it safe, I think it's playing it smart. Hopefully they converted a whole bunch of folks to people that no longer say "Wilco who?" -- and just might buy a record or go to see them again on their own.

Oh yes, that's how I meant it when I said they played it safe. I don't think the guys wanted to take it easy for a night, dialing in a standard setlist. They planned it, and it was a good decision.

You set yourself up for disapointment. Crticizing a band you love for not playing exactly what you want to hear every single time is ridiculous. I realize and do not forget that most of us have seen them mulitple times. The average die hard fan probably only gets to see them a few times a year. I understand that there are die hards that have seen them hundreds of times but it's ridiculous to wait for some ultra rare or custom set list. They flat out rock live and are one of the most versatile bands with their setlists so if people aren't happy, they are being ultra picky. This band plays 2+ hours every show with a different set list just about every night. If you want ultra rare wait for the next Winter Residency but it simply sounds pretentious to groan about a greatest hits set list.

The joy of Wilco's constant touring is that they switch the setlists up so much, so if I was at a show and saw all songs I had seen before, I'd be a bit upset too.

But if you go to tons and tons of shows then obviously chances are really high you will have seen them perform all the songs before. How can that upset you? You chose to go to muliple shows and as you said they switch up the set list quite a bit but once you have seen them all, if you don't want to see them again or it's going to pain people they shouldn't see the band for a while. It's time to take a break and breath for a bit. Maybe take a year off. I have travelled to see the band but i've probably seen them less than 20 times. I'm happy every chance I get. Do I get dispaointed with shows? Sure. I thought the October 30th Auditorium Theater show I flew to Chicago for back in 2006 ( I think ) was flat. The fact that it was in a theater with seats kinda sucked and the band didn't really blow me away that night. Just three months earlier I saw the best Wilco show of my life with Calexico opening in Tempe, AZ. It was an amazing show, the band was on fire. It was full of songs from AGIB and YHF and the energy was unreal that night. It wasn't anything rare at all. I can also understand people having a favorite song they wanted to hear and maybe saying 'damn, I didn't get via chicago last night'. That makes sense to me but to criticize a set list for lack of rarities is silly since they are in fact "rarities".

I just think those who complain about a greatest hits setlist probably need to take a break from the shows for a bit since they are burnt out. Maybe wait for another residency or some woody guthrie tribute show or possibly start campaigning for an Uncle Tupelo one off gig at some festival or something. :)

All that said, I can't wait to see them tomorrow night and with Grizzly Bear opening it's going to be fun next up will be Red Rocks, I can't wait to see my favorite band play a beautiful venue I have never been too with another killer opener in Okkervil River.

You set yourself up for disapointment. Crticizing a band you love for not playing exactly what you want to hear every single time is ridiculous. I realize and do not forget that most of us have seen them mulitple times. The average die hard fan probably only gets to see them a few times a year. I understand that there are die hards that have seen them hundreds of times but it's ridiculous to wait for some ultra rare or custom set list. They flat out rock live and are one of the most versatile bands with their setlists so if people aren't happy, they are being ultra picky. This band plays 2+ hours every show with a different set list just about every night. If you want ultra rare wait for the next Winter Residency but it simply sounds pretentious to groan about a greatest hits set list.

But if you go to tons and tons of shows then obviously chances are really high you will have seen them perform all the songs before. How can that upset you? You chose to go to muliple shows and as you said they switch up the set list quite a bit but once you have seen them all, if you don't want to see them again or it's going to pain people they shouldn't see the band for a while. It's time to take a break and breath for a bit. Maybe take a year off. I have travelled to see the band but i've probably seen them less than 20 times. I'm happy every chance I get. Do I get dispaointed with shows? Sure. I thought the October 30th Auditorium Theater show I flew to Chicago for back in 2006 ( I think ) was flat. The fact that it was in a theater with seats kinda sucked and the band didn't really blow me away that night. Just three months earlier I saw the best Wilco show of my life with Calexico opening in Tempe, AZ. It was an amazing show, the band was on fire. It was full of songs from AGIB and YHF and the energy was unreal that night. It wasn't anything rare at all. I can also understand people having a favorite song they wanted to hear and maybe saying 'damn, I didn't get via chicago last night'. That makes sense to me but to criticize a set list for lack of rarities is silly since they are in fact "rarities".

I just think those who complain about a greatest hits setlist probably need to take a break from the shows for a bit since they are burnt out. Maybe wait for another residency or some woody guthrie tribute show or possibly start campaigning for an Uncle Tupelo one off gig at some festival or something. :)

All that said, I can't wait to see them tomorrow night and with Grizzly Bear opening it's going to be fun next up will be Red Rocks, I can't wait to see my favorite band play a beautiful venue I have never been too with another killer opener in Okkervil River.

I agree with you almost 100%.

I don't think people are complaining about the show, per se, as it seems there are a lot of good reviews, as usual. Just an observation on the setlist.

I've seen the band once, and if they play the same setlist I saw again in July, I'll be disappointed. The show will be great, because the band is always on their A game, but everyone goes to a concert hoping to see something rare-ish.

I do agree that people who tour with the band really shouldn't complain. The band knows that 95% of their fanbase will not go to multiple shows on a tour, so they'll try to put the "classics" in as many shows as possible, while still throwing out the occasional rarity.

I would trade a show of rarities played not as well for a show with more familar material that they positively killed. When Wilco is "on" it is a thing of beauty. They have been "on" about 75% of their shows I have seen.

I was in the pit and it was a great show. I'm a latecomer to Wilco (bought YHF a while back but never spent much time with it), but I'm a rabid fan now. This is the first time I've seen them live and I can promise it won't be the last. For me it was the perfect setlist. Great selections from W(TA), but I had hoped he might do a duet with one of the ladies performing (Feist was not on the bill this year) at the festival for "You And I", but no dice. A duet with Lucinda Williams, Jenny Lewis, or Grace Potter would have been killer.

There is an excellent FOB recording of this set at http://bt.etree.org. I believe Wilco is cool with tapers, otherwise bt.etree.org (legit site) would not allow them to be posted there. Jeff's voice sounds just about perfect and Nels' guitar cuts through the mix perfectly.

Bonnaroo 2009 was a blast. Phish was great (and I'm not really a fan), MGMT, Lucinda, Bon Iver, Andrew Bird, and Ben Harper all had amazing performances. I still need to catch up on my sleep.

I've seen the band once, and if they play the same setlist I saw again in July, I'll be disappointed. The show will be great, because the band is always on their A game, but everyone goes to a concert hoping to see something rare-ish.

Sure and maybe you just need to be more specific. I'm literal and I don't post much so i'll take some of the blame. We both know you will get a different set list in July. How different is the real question. hell, I am wondering how different the set list tomorrow night will be in Tucson. I'm thinking very different because it's not a festival but who knows. I just hope the band is on. I've been looking forward to this show for a while and it's their first show in Tucson in like a decade I think. Like literally. It's also their first show in Arizona since 2006 so i've had to travel to see this band over the past few years and I do it gladly but that Auditorium Theater show I attended was indeed a disapointment for me. Night one of the Winter Residency was amazing though. I have heard all 5 of those shows, i wonder which one is the most popular. I can't stop listening to the bootleg of night one and I wonder if it's just because that was the night I was there. It was an awesome set list. I was so happy to hear Candy Floss live finally! I'm not rich and I make less than 30K a year but i'm passionate about music so I travel for it when i can.

I do agree that people who tour with the band really shouldn't complain. The band knows that 95% of their fanbase will not go to multiple shows on a tour, so they'll try to put the "classics" in as many shows as possible, while still throwing out the occasional rarity.

Yep, I would love to be in a band and make a setlist every night. We are really lucky with Wilco though in the regard that they know how to play their entire catalog and there is no other band with the extensive catalog they have who is that versatile. That + nels clyne has made this band a force to be reckoned with as if they weren't a big enough force following the release of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. It's been fun watching them reach new levels.

Yep, I would love to be in a band and make a setlist every night. We are really lucky with Wilco though in the regard that they know how to play their entire catalog and there is no other band with the extensive catalog they have who is that versatile. That + nels clyne has made this band a force to be reckoned with as if they weren't a big enough force following the release of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. It's been fun watching them reach new levels.

There was nothing like seeing America's Greatest Rock N' Roll band play some great tunes to their utmost perfection. I couldn't tell you how many times I got goosebumps from the performance. I know it wasn't a perfect setlist but regardless, everyone who was there left unbelievably happy and if the festival was over, you would have been content. Even at the beginning of IATTBYH, the crowd was so eager to belt out "I AM AN AMERICAN AQUARIUM DRINKER..." it was such a nice feeling. Jeff dancing during Hummingbird, so joyous and happy to be performing. The showmanship of the band was top notch, as was the sound. We can critique any setlist choice they made, but damn, I fell asleep one happy Wilco fan that night.