Wilco -- 2009-06-13 Manchester, TN

Hey Folks,

The Official Bonnaroo page has Blogs and Tweets and other such stuff to keep people up to date.

From the site:

Wilco at Sunset

(06/14/09 01:57 AM)

Wilco returned to Bonnaroo with a masterful set on the What Stage, playing favorites like "California Stars" and "Handshake Drugs" along with a few songs from the new "Wilco (The Album)," which comes out at the end of this month

› Read full post

Clicked on full post and there's nothing but pictures. No setlist. But for Bruce fans there is a setlist on the same bloggers site - Alan. Here's the link.

http://www.bonnaroo.com/blog/author/1.aspx

Edit: Another Link Found-

http://www.spinner.com/2009/06/13/wilco-avoids-getting-booed-at-bonnaroo/

Edit 2: Another Link Found - this one's a professionally done video from Youtube and Billboard.

Enjoy,

Kristofor

PS Really wished the Wilco set was broadcast over the net.

My kid (who is 24) texted us from 'Roo tonight. And, although she didn't post a setlist, she did say it was a wonderful time and she was closer to the stage than any previous Wilco show she's been to (about a half-dozen). So, there's that. :punch

I think we probably won't have any reports until Monday. If the other attendees are anything like my roommates, they won't have contact with the outside world until then. Cell phones in that place died a long time ago.

Wow, we always kept our cell phones charged at Roo. We had multiple car chargers hooked up & would just charge them in the morning while making breakfast. It would suck being there trying to figure out who everyone's seeing and where they are without them.

I did some digging and found this on some dude's blog:

Wilco at Bonnaroo, Manchester, Tenn., June 13, 2009

Wilco (The Song) / I Am Trying to Break Your Heart / Company on My Back / Handshake Drugs / Blue Black Nova / You Are My Face / One Wing / Pot Kettle Black / Side with the Seeds / Shot in the Arm / At Least That’s What You Said / Jesus, Etc. / Impossible Germany (for Kelly) / California Stars / Misunderstood (32 “nothings” at the end) / Spiders (Kidsmoke) (with cameraman strumming Jeff’s guitar, huge build) / Hummingbird / You Never Know / The Late Greats / Hate It Here / Walken / I’m the Man Who Loves You

Found this at Billboard.com:

Wilco utilized the full power of its lineup to rock main-stage festivalgoers into the evening – frontman Jeff Tweedy was naturally the star of the show, with stalwart bassist John Stirratt riding copilot up front and fiery drummer Glenn Kotche twirling madly in the back, but it was multi-instrumentalist Pat Sansone and especially guitarist Nels Cline who propelled Wilco's set to ecstatic heights. Cline's audacious guitar solos were every bit as intricate and ambitious as Phish's complex compositions the night before. Yet, maybe because of Wilco's strong Americana roots, the group's extended instrumental sections were emotional and moving without seeming cloying.

After a two-hour set ranging from the pastoral, Woody Guthrie-penned "California Stars" to the ethereal, jammy "Impossible Germany" to the stark, angular homicide drama "Bull Black Nova."

I did some digging and found this on some dude's blog:

Wilco at Bonnaroo, Manchester, Tenn., June 13, 2009

Wilco (The Song) / I Am Trying to Break Your Heart / Company on My Back / Handshake Drugs / Blue Black Nova / You Are My Face / One Wing / Pot Kettle Black / Side with the Seeds / Shot in the Arm / At Least That’s What You Said / Jesus, Etc. / Impossible Germany (for Kelly) / California Stars / Misunderstood (32 “nothings” at the end) / Spiders (Kidsmoke) (with cameraman strumming Jeff’s guitar, huge build) / Hummingbird / You Never Know / The Late Greats / Hate It Here / Walken / I’m the Man Who Loves You

Almost identical to the Cincinnati setlist. :hmm

Almost identical to the Cincinnati setlist. :hmm

Yeah, bands typically play pretty safe sets at festivals. I don't like them for that reason.

I'm just happy that they have played Side with the Seeds two nights in a row. I was thinking it was out of the rotation but hopefully it's back!

I hope so! They haven't played it the last few shows I've attended and I've wondered why.

that Lightning 100 interview was a hoot. Glenn spends a good minute talking about going to New Zealand, working on the Neil Finn project and how they loved it so much that they stayed an extra week to record. then the guy's next questions is, "Why did you choose New Zealand of all places to record the album?"

Video by way of Billboard.com (I guess this was approved by the band?)

Bonnaroo's Top Ten Moments

June 15, 2009 12:35 PM ET

Jeff Vrabel and Troy Carpenter, Manchester, Tenn.

8. Wilco guitarist Nels Cline sends numerous songs into exultant territory as the sun moves low on the pre-Bruce Saturday night. The band's three-guitar, roots-group-gone-to-outer-space setup shines on intricate, emotional compositions like "Impossible Germany."

Wilco Rocks Bonnaroo ’09 Into The Night

Wilco Saturday night (June 13) at Bonnaroo 2009 belongs to Bruce Springsteen, but Wilco put on a powerhouse show of its own as the Boss’ “opening act” on the main What Stage. The Chicago sextet proved to be the bridge between the festival’s two headliners; the perfect blend of Springsteen’s pure American rock and Phish’s wild, funky experimental jams.

Wilco utilized the full power of its lineup to rock festivalgoers into the evening – frontman Jeff Tweedy was naturally the star of the show, with stalwart bassist John Stirratt riding copilot up front and fiery drummer Glen Kotche twirling madly in the back, but it was multi-instrumentalist Pat Sansone and especially guitarist Nels Cline who propelled Wilco’s set to ecstatic heights.

Watching Cline contort his way through solo after brilliant, choreographed solo in front of the large, mostly enthusiastic main-stage crowd, it became clear the indie veteran has reached rock-star status – the material from 2007’s “Sky Blue Sky” best showcased Cline’s skills, as his audacious work on songs like “You Are My Face” and “Impossible Germany” echoed elegantly across the field. Sansone’s fluid guitar and piano work allows the band even more textural possibilities; at times the group presents four guitar players – Tweedy, Cline, Sansone and Stirratt – harmonizing across the front of the stage.

Tweedy engaged in a bit of his own mind-blowing, taking solos on many of the cuts from 2005’s “A Ghost Is Born,” and as a frontman, he was in a playful mood, engaging in a bit of self-deprecating humor: “It’s ok if we get booed tonight, because we can just think they’re saying ‘Bruce’,” he proclaimed.

Wilco’s still not quite on the top bill of a festival filled with luminaries such as this, but Saturday night’s performance showed that the band has the chops and the vision to be considered one of America’s best modern rock bands. --Troy Carpenter

Here is Wilco’s setlist:

“Wilco (The Song)”

“I Am Trying to Break Your Heart”

“Company in My Back”

“Handshake Drugs”

“Bull Black Nova”

“You Are My Face”

“One Wing”

“Pot Kettle Black”

“Side With the Seeds”

“Shot in the Arm”

“At Least That’s What You Said”

“Jesus, Etc.”

“Impossible Germany”

“ California Stars”

"Misunderstood”

“Spiders (Kidsmoke)”

“Hummingbird”

“You Never Know”

“The Late Greats”

“Hate It Here”

“Walken”

“I’m the Man Who Loves

Wilco was great but like someone else said it was pretty much a greatest hits setlist which was a little disappointing. Phish was the highlight of Bonnaroo for me. Nearly everyone I saw was great though.

I have some videos that I will upload soon.

Really great show! Played two full hours with no break, I was blown away! I've never see Jeff that loose before, I mean singing to the camera? I think the best part was Nels and Pat dueling in "Hoodoo Voodoo." New stuff sounded great too.

so they played hoodoo voodoo? that wasn't on any of the sets listed in this thread for the show....did they play anything else we're missing?

so they played hoodoo voodoo? that wasn't on any of the sets listed in this thread for the show....did they play anything else we're missing?

Bonnaroo setlist on their site says "Kingpin -- Monday -- Outtasite"... which basically they ran out of time. I would say for a festival set, it was great.

My highlights were:

Bull Black -- the hair stood up on my arms when Jeff screamed at the end.

The jam in ALTWYS was so tight and so loud. Great festival song.

The cameraman plucking Spiders was hilarious.

They played the intro to ITMWLY and the crowd went wild. Glenn didn't stand up. The crowd started screaming more and more, they played the riff again and he hopped out of his seat and on top of his kit and into a racous version of the song.

Hoodoo Voodoo

The best hoodoo i've ever heard for sure. Nels and Pat battling riffs back and forth. At the end Jeff pointed to each to get a crowd reaction to see who won. Everyone around me seemed to think Pat won because of his showmanship but technicality, Nels dominated. I mean, it's Nels Cline here. Pat sure is a great showman though, the most showy I've seen him. In the end, Jeff pointed to Nels and declared him the winner.

The funniest part of the show was the end, after the Jeff "Bruce" comments was that, they all started doing Boss impressions, notably Pat and Jeff. Pat was stretching in all sorts of directions with like the Boss on a solo. It was genius comedy.

Interesting crowd, lots of people I talked to had never seen them or heard of them, which was sort of mind boggling. I was about 10 feet from barrier on left side. Jeff made eye contact with me at the beginning a few times (probably because I am 6'3" and no one else around me was -- plus I had a sweet cowboy hat on). I had to waive!

All in all, the band was in extremely great spirits and enjoying themselves immensely. I will say from the people I was around and talked to, Wilco brought some people over the fence and into their fan base. It was a very joyful show.

Can't wait for Wolf Trap, Wilimington and Wappinger's Falls!!