Wilco -- 06/18/09 Tucson, AZ

Hey Laurie and Rick. Too bad you guys couldn't make it. The venue and campus reminded me of the place in New Mexico we were at, but the crowd there was so much better. Either way, it's always a good day when Wilco is playing for you, regardless of the crowd, right?

Hey, faxman75, no problem.

Yeah, I said the Phx area, and that's what I meant for their last time in the Valley. Just blew me away that they didn't tour Sky Blue Sky here when I looked it up 6 months ago. Most acts do play Phx if they're playing anywhere in the state, but Tucson and some other spots have us beat in radio. That's precisely why I only got into Wilco on a friend's sharing - no one here plays 'em, and most people I talk w/don't even know who they are (which is absurd, I know, for a band that's been around as long as they have). Maybe they thought Tucson was the place to be with UA, but it's the summer and the majority of students aren't there during the summer (but they have Tucson fans, of course!), and those in Phx-area and elsewhere have to drive, so...y'know, I have no idea why they haven't hit the Phx environs (including Tempe) in 5 years, but that's the way it is, and as I mentioned, I wrote to Wilco's management about pleading for them not to skip AZ next tour, and got a nice reply back that they *would* stop in the state this time. Marquee's cool, but they could clearly sell it out and then some. Dodge is possibly too large. MAC is awesome soundwise, you'd probably run into the same thing though because the atmosphere is a seated show (though every artist who plays it raves about the house and sound and the shows there are incredible), so maybe the Centennial just had the size they needed and the availability.

I had a great experience - I feel bad for anyone who didn't get to dance, though...but - maybe people just want to watch the band? I don't think Wilco thinks we don't care - the applause was always huge, and they put on such a great show and seemed to be having a great time themselves.

Does anyone know if the pit was for sale, or was just insiders and photographers?

Yep, I'm gonna be at Cowbody Junkies/Son Volt. We don't get our assignment til that night, but ask for me (Sandy).

Thinking again about the ones at UA who asked people to sit and who guarded the front to block a possible rush to the stage (so it seemed) - after more thought, they very well could have been security. Looked like the ushers had white tops (including the poor gal who had to shout a million x to get your hand stamped if you walked outside), while the "enforcers" were wearing blue polos (but they were seating people, so ???). Again, from my 3 yrs experience in ushering, ushers are asked to help enforce demands of the artist - so if, for instance, an artist asks for no seating during numbers, we have to follow that order - same w/photography and/or video. So when ya call Centennial - you might ask if it was ushers or security doing the dirty work, and whether the house policy is to stop people from dancing. B-52s are playing there Wednesday - I'd like to see them try to stop their fans from dancing!

In the best of all possible worlds, they would play somewhere where people could get on their feet - but hey, I'm just grateful I got to see them!

Last but not least, Zebra, too bad about your brother being stopped to miss the screaming in BBN! That was INTENSE. Looking forward to the shots! (And to getting my copy in the mail so I can hear it again. Thanks, Wilco, for steaming it - was awesome to hear it - oh, and wasn't One Wing great live too?)

Sandy

Does anyone know if the pit was for sale, or was just insiders and photographers?

The photographers had to leave after 3 songs. And I think the pit was for U of A insiders because a lot of them knew each other and the staff there. I also don't remember seeing those seats for sale.

This was my 2nd show in Tucson, and based on my first (Beck at the Rialto about 2 or 3 years ago) I expected a much livelier crowd. I never saw any staff or ushers telling people to stop dancing, though. It just seemed like kind of a communal decision, I don't think that the concert being in a seated venue had anything to do with it. The El Paso show was in a formal concert hall and we were all on our feet dancing from first note to last. However, there was bar service and we were allowed to take our beverages into the theater.

Despite the crowd, the band was in top form. Where El Paso had a kind of loose vibe to it, Tucson's show was more like watching Steely Dan. Totally locked-in and precise - what incredible musicians. And the show was LOUD compared to El Paso. The band just sounded huge!

Good stuff all-in-all. I can't wait to see them at the Wiltern on Tuesday - it'll be my first Wilco show in a general admission environment and I don't know what to expect.

This was my 2nd show in Tucson, and based on my first (Beck at the Rialto about 2 or 3 years ago) I expected a much livelier crowd. I never saw any staff or ushers telling people to stop dancing, though. It just seemed like kind of a communal decision, I don't think that the concert being in a seated venue had anything to do with it. The El Paso show was in a formal concert hall and we were all on our feet dancing from first note to last. However, there was bar service and we were allowed to take our beverages into the theater.

Despite the crowd, the band was in top form. Where El Paso had a kind of loose vibe to it, Tucson's show was more like watching Steely Dan. Totally locked-in and precise - what incredible musicians. And the show was LOUD compared to El Paso. The band just sounded huge!

Good stuff all-in-all. I can't wait to see them at the Wiltern on Tuesday - it'll be my first Wilco show in a general admission environment and I don't know what to expect.

We were in the 8th row directly in front of Stirratt and were told numerous times by the aisle nazi to sit down. When we ignored his flashlight he came over and yelled. Show was great but the ushers were definitely telling people to stop dancing...

We were in the 8th row directly in front of Stirratt and were told numerous times by the aisle nazi to sit down. When we ignored his flashlight he came over and yelled. Show was great but the ushers were definitely telling people to stop dancing...

The guard in front of us was sleeping, so I don't think he cared. The the female one kept walking in front of us for no apparent reason. It got really annoying after awhile.

Looking at subsequent show setlists, I'm still really happy with what we got in AZ! :)

I was pretty close, but most of my photos turned out poorly (couldn't use flash). Here are the only two worth sharing...hope I didn't resize 'em too small...

Nels small photo.jpg

Wilco stage small.jpg

• 10 months later...

As a Tucson native and huge Wilco fan, I've been bitter about this show for nearly a year. It was easily one of the most subdued rock concerts I've ever attended. Simply put, the vibe sucked. Wilco hasn't felt the same to me since that night. I know, it's a little dramatic, but true. I think there were several cards stacked against an optimum show that night, many of which have already been discussed: seated auditorium; overzealous ushers; students out of town; no alcohol; etc. Prior to the Tucson show in June 2009, I had seen Wilco at the Marquee Theater in Tempe in 2004 and at Coachella in 2005. As previously mentioned, Jeff's sister was at the show in Tempe in 2004, and the energy/vibe was great. I know most bands don't like playing festivals, but they also rocked a late afternoon set at Coachella in 2005 (my favorite band on my birthday!!!). Tucson can be a pretty mellow place (love/hate). It was also a weeknight during the summer, when things have a tendency to get pretty slow around here. Since it was also a weeknight during the summer in El Paso (also a hot, smallish city in the SW), Tucson doesn't get off the hook for that one. As others have also mentioned, the Rialto has rocked many summer nights here in Tucson (my vote if Wilco should ever decide to return). I may be wrong on this one, but I also think that people in Tucson tend to be pretty nice. Could it be that people were just really self-conscious about not obstructing the view of others in a seated auditorium that more often plays host to opera productions and travelling Broadway plays? I don't think this explains it either. The assfuck who was talking on this cell phone during Grizzly Bear apparently wasn't very concerned about those around him. I've taken in countless shows at venues with seating that proved totally unnecessary. I'm going to be a little impolitic here and place some of the blame on Jeff Tweedy, who didn't address the crowd until what seemed like the 7th or 8th song into the show. A "Hello Cleveland" early on mighta helped. I imagine after not playing here for 14 years, the band probably expected (and deserved) a heartier welcome. Clearly, that didn't happen. That said, Wilco fulfilled its end of the bargain by playing a tight, if workmanlike, 2 1/2 hour set. They are professionals and they rock. I would not have expected less from them. Clearly though, most of the blame rests with music fans in Tucson who weren't inspired to get off their asses for one of the best bands going. It's not like we get a band of this caliber here very often. As nearly any Sergio Mendoza gig will demonstrate, Tucson crowds can be fun and energetic. Hopefully, Wilco fans will get another shot to host the band in proper fashion someday and show them that we aren't always so little fun.

Oh it was definitely the venue/crowd. I had seen them in Albuquerque in 2008 at Popejoy hall, same type of place as the Tucson venue, on the campus of UNM, typical stuff at Popejoy is Broadway shows and classical music. At Popejoy they tore the house down! The crowd stood for the first song (Hummingbird) and never sat back down for entire show, no booze was served there either. Back to the SW tour of 2009, my family and I caught them in El Paso - down town in the grittiest city in the US probably, and at a venue that was pretty marginal, but the crowd was awesome, so grateful and unpretentious, we were on our feet the entire time. Then we motor in to Tucson the next day and find Centennial hall and it's GORGEOUS, and the people at the show are way less hip then they thought they were - totally pretentious - what was the result? A stuffy show. The crowd didn't even know Hotel Arizona, Jeff gave them shit about it too. Listening to the recording of that night it was still an awesome show, but having been there the vibe was not the best. We caught them again two nights later in Pomona, that was the best of the three shows, and again at Red Rocks a week or two later and that was good, but too big for my tastes.

Jeff not addressing the audience until the 7th or 8th song is typical. He has always seemed (to me) to be busy setting the scene for a rocking show. They do feed off the aud vibe, but if they hated it, they would not have played for 2.5 hours. Be happy - let it go :cheers