Wilco -- 06/18/09 Tucson, AZ

Coming into tonight's gig I had some concerns about the venue. It's seated and you can't bring beer in. I'm not much of a drinker at shows myself but it sounds like a bit of a vibe killer. As far as seated goes, people actually sat at a rock concert. Like, all of Grizzly Bear and all of Wilco until the encore. I should start by saying both bands put on a beautiful show. I actually found myself enjoying Wilco's set more tonight than I did at Bonnaroo. The problem is the rest of the crowd didn't feel that way or thought they were at the symphony. I finally had to stand because I couldn't contain myself during a song like "Shot in the Arm". I mean, how do you sit through that? Well, lucky for me most of the crowd also decided to finally stand. Finally I feel great and i'm enjoying myself immensely. This is already the 10th song into the set for christs sake. As soon as it's over and "side with seeds" starts, everyone sits again. I stood and I would say there were maybe 20 other people in the audience who did the same thing. I got tapped on the shoulder by the folks behind me who proceeded to tell me I was in their way and I needed to sit. "at a rock show?, really?".....they argue some more and I tell them how much that sucks and how they should stand too... I decide i'm gonna have to sit or else get heckled the whole show by these people. I watched the rest of the show rocking out in my seat. I felt ridiculous. I looked around throughout the show and it looked like no one knew what concert they were at. This was a sold out show in Tucson a place where they haven't played in "14" years as Tweedy kept reminding us as if to say what the fuck is wrong with you people, show me some energy or excitement. I saw sections of the crowd here and there into it and small groups standing for a few songs at a time but that was about it until the encores. I thought they sounded so good too. Nels really tore it up and Jeffs voice sounded great. Nels had many great solo's and that guy can't sit still. Even while playing the lap steel guitar he's contorting his legs. He's easily the most intense guitar player I have seen live. They only played 3 new songs tonight so it's not like the band bored the crowd pushing the new stuff either.

Setlist:

hell is chrome

handshake drugs

wilco(the song)

muzzle of bees

you are my face

bull black nova

i am trying to break your heart

pot kettle black

one wing

shot in the arm

side with seeds

via chicago

jesus etc.

impossible germany

poor places

reservations (nice surprise I didn't expect)

spiders

hummingbird

encore

hotel arizona

Late greats

hate it here

walken

i'm the man who loves you

King Pin

I'm a Wheel

Yeah, it was a great show, but I know what you're saying about not too many people getting into it. 'Shot' was also the first time I stood; then again, the only thing blocking my view was the pit and nobody in there even moved. In case you didn't see, during 'Seeds' Jeff put pointed to a guy in the pit, put his hand up to mime talking on a phone, then gave the guy a dirty look and the middle finger. I loved it. When he sang, "But you and I will be undefeated", he motioned to himself and the guy. Then a little later, Jeff asked if the guy was there as part of a community service sentence or something. He busted the guys chops for a while and then the guy said he was sorry. Jeff replied, "I think you really are" or something like that. I like to see him going after the talkers, etc. Bull Black Nova is awesome live as well. My brother had a photo pass and should have some photos up soon.

The only thing they didn't play off the set was "Passenger Side". Other than that it seemed to be heavy into YHF and AGIB. And it was Poor > Rev > Spiders.

img2126copy.jpg

And the show was on the 18th, not 19th. :P

[i'm sure you just as tired as me]

I stood and I would say there were maybe 20 other people in the audience who did the same

That stinks! I wonder how different the crowd would have been if you and those other 20 people were up front. Sometimes you can blame a setlist, but not in this case. Did the crowd get into Kingpin?

The crowd was into Kingpin but it was like they were off on the scream part a bit. Jeff did the "how can I" and people screamed as he was saying the "I" or something. I dunno, the crowd was simply off. I was so happy to be hearing reservations though.

I did see the exchange with the guy in the pit but I wasn't aware he was on his cell phone. People are terrible. I almost always go to shows in Tucson because the crowd is better. Had that show been at The Rialto it would have been better. I have to believe the no beer and seated theater combo killed any chance of a vibe. I've seen these guys in an all seated venue (auditorium theater chicago) and people stood but I couldn't believe how many zombies there were just sitting, staring and not even bobbing their heads or singing along.

I wish I could go to Vegas tonight. Oh well. This won't happen at Red Rocks. Loved the music, the bands energy and Grizzly Bear sounded perfect despite the crowd mostly not having a arrived yet. Passenger Side would have been nice as well but we got some great songs and the sound was so fucking good at this place. Anyone else get the idea that Jeff wanted to be "come on people get off your asses" ?

Also, I don't think there needs to be someone in your way to avoid in order to stand. I simply wanted to umm ROCK lol. I was 4th row and there wasn't a soul in my way but sitting at a rock show is ridiculous and then to be tapped on the shoulder and asked to sit back down was a total "WTF did you just ask me" moment. Of course we could all see if we are all sitting but what kind of energy does that show the band? There was nothing for them to feed off of. Lame. I'm glad they still rocked though.

And it was Poor > Rev > Spiders.

And the show was on the 18th, not 19th. :P

[i'm sure you just as tired as me]

I had it typed as Poor>Reservations>Spiders so i'm not sure what you mean *lol* you are right about the date though, I live in Phoenix so it was a little drive for me as well so it was late. :)

Edit, I have the correct date in the title?!

Sounds like a crowd that didn't deserve Reservations. :brow

I was standing,screaming, singing, and dancing all throughout the show....and I fucking DESERVED Reservations. :) My brain just about exploded when they started doing that song. I think there were a lot more people standing than people realized. It's just that when people are sitting it gets magnified more than everyone else who is standing. I agree that it is harder to get into a show when people are sitting around you. I felt pressured to sit down by others around me too but by the time they played Pot Kettle Black I stood up and tried to will other people to get up too. I don't know how you can sit through a song like that. But in the end, you can't control the actions of the people around you and all you can do is enjoy yourself and that is what I did.

This was only the second time I've gotten to see them and it was an amazing show. I think the band was having a good time as well, if not then they are pretty good actors. My wife and I brought someone who wasn't too familiar with Wilco's music but by the end of the show she had become a convert. And in the end, that's what it is all about.

I think there were a lot more people standing than people realized. It's just that when people are sitting it gets magnified more than everyone else who is standing.

I'm not sure where you were but the entire pit sat the whole show until the encores. I was 4th row and I kept looking back and there is no way even 10% of the crowd was standing during the show. Once they played I'm the Man Who Loves you through the end people stood but the entire first half of the show there could not have been more than 50 people sprinkled throughout the crowd standing. It was driving me nuts so much so i'm still ranting about it *lol*

I'm not sure where you were but the entire pit sat the whole show until the encores. I was 4th row and I kept looking back and there is no way even 10% of the crowd was standing during the show. Once they played I'm the Man Who Loves you through the end people stood but the entire first half of the show there could not have been more than 50 people sprinkled throughout the crowd standing. It was driving me nuts so much so i'm still ranting about it *lol*

and i dont blame you for being upset about it especially after the way those people behind you rudely asked you to sit down :) I was in row U and from what i could see, during a lot of the show....on the right side where i was we were all pretty much standing in our section and almost the whole left side from the middle of the floor back were standing through a lot of the show. Made me feel less self conscious about standing myself :)

If that had happened to me i would have told them to go home, sip on some wine and listen to their CDs in the comfort of their own living room . A rock show is for dancing and letting it all out. I had an older couple sitting right next to me throughout the whole show...didnt sing or anything until Jeff begged people to get up out of their seats for Spiders. Thankfully, they just let me be me....

And i still think it was an amazing show....all boring people aside.

Looking at the votes for the requests beforehand my wife and I were both surprised to see "Reservations" in first place by a mile. She requested "Hummingbird" and was really stoked when they played it. Here's a snapshot she took during the song:

Hummingbird.jpg

The crowd was quite sedate, which was unfortunately what I expected given the venue. We were in front and I could feel the evil eyes whenever I stood up. Nels was a real maniac, he really tore it up.

I had it typed as Poor>Reservations>Spiders so i'm not sure what you mean *lol* you are right about the date though, I live in Phoenix so it was a little drive for me as well so it was late. :)

Edit, I have the correct date in the title?!

Sorry, I was really tired last night when I posted that. I must have been seeing things or not. :P

Looking at the votes for the requests beforehand my wife and I were both surprised to see "No Reservations" in first place by a mile. She requested "Hummingbird" and was really stoked when they played it. Here's a snapshot she took during the song:

Hummingbird.jpg

The crowd was quite sedate, which was unfortunately what I expected given the venue. We were in front and I could feel the evil eyes whenever I stood up. Nels was a real maniac, he really tore it up.

I hate to be a stickler, but the song is called "Reservations," not "No Reservations." That's not nearly as bad as the super-fan who in another post called "Impossible Germany" - "Incredible Germany." It's all good.

whats being lost so far is a mention of how great the show was last night, and how clean the sound was. very enjoyable from start to finish, i think wilco has really mastered the art of pacing a set.

i thought that the venue was really cool. in regards to the sitting/standing issue, man, what a drag. i couldnt believe it. i fidgeted in my seat for the first few songs, felt really weird to be so still at a rock show. i will say that i accepted after a while that it was going to be a different concert experience. pretty much all the people in my section were up for good in the middle of spiders (a little too late, but whatever) i guess its just sad to me that probably 75% of the crowd spends their days stuck behind a desk, is it asking too much of yourself to boogie a bit and burn some rock n roll calories??

having said that, thanks for coming back, wilco. great night of music!

What an outstanding show this was! Song after song, I was like, "NO! REALLY!?! AWESOME!" I felt as though they were pulling out all the stops, one after another, and I could not have been more pleased. My faves of the night were Impossible Germany, Bull Black Nova, and Kidsmoke - I was grateful Jeff urged everyone to get up for Kidsmoke, cause all night, I was dancing in my seat and I'm sure the people on the sides of me weren't thrilled (sorry, guys), but I didn't want to get up cause I was in A, and I didn't want to block others' view - I noticed that some to house right were up but that people behind them still sat (weird), and sometimes when I can't see (I'm not that tall, but behind someone...), I wish that others might sit, but when he gave the green light, it was fabulous, cause I, like someone earlier said, could let loose. It's tough in a place with seats - doesn't open itself up to standing right away, and people don't want to tick others off - I try to be sensitive but have a great time at the same time - thus, my screaming, moving, and so on in my seat (I noticed a couple behind me doing the same). Y'know, I just hope people have the good time they came for. And sometimes, people don't move at all and say they loved it, so who knows? I cannot sit still, though, not there with W playing! Anyway, about the show itself - it was everything I could have wanted. I was directly in front of Tweedy and just by Nels, and my eyes moved from one to the other - the entire band was amazing, and the mood was intense - no banter til much later in the show. Solid 2 to 2.25 hours of driving, incredible music. Thank you for posting the setlist; on the drive home, we were reminiscing, and I had forgotten that they did Reservations. Wow. THAT was major! And I was in bliss completely, a smile plastered on my face the entire time (and throughout most of the show). Glenn is frantically fun to watch, Nels is a master. After a while, Jeff did warm up and they DID seem to be having a good time. This was my first Wilco show - I only got into them a little over a year ago, and in a huge way. I was shocked when I noticed on WilcoBase that they hadn't been in the Phx area since 2004 and had actually dropped an email to management about 6 months ago for them not to skip AZ next time. So I was happy at least that they came to Tucson, driveable. Now that I've seen them, I could see traveling to see 'em again. Jeff re-used the "community service" joke that I read he used in Ohio. But, it's a funny joke. The light show was awesome, watching the songs performed instead of just hearing them, was awesome. We laughed, we cried, we had a GREAT time. I guess if I had one little itsy-bitsy gripe, it's that I wish they had played more from the new CD. I heard it streamed and loved it, and since this is the CD they're touring, I would have expected 'em to play more from that (but maybe they're being nice since most people haven't heard it and it's not out yet - later in the tour, I'm guessing they'll add much more), but since this was my first Wilco show, it was a dream and I had to pinch myself because I was hearing everything I ever wanted (ok, only other song from the back catalogue I would have wanted would be Heavy Metal Drummer, BUT I requested Impossible Germany on the Wilco site, and there was probably very little chance they WOULDN'T do it, but that, to me, is the best track and I can clearly see and hear [and knew when I heard the stream] that BBNova is going to be close behind.) I was also very grateful to my husband - I bought 2 tix in presale for us and got row P cause they didn't announce the Tucson release as they did others (or I missed it - checked daily!)- then was busy during public sale, so he decided to try for two closer. Didn't get us much closer, so he thought to try for just 1 ticket, got A in the center, and bought it, insisting I sit there cause I'm the one who's nuts about the band. So we sat together during Grizzly Bear and then I moved to the other seat for Wilco. I didn't like not sitting by him for Wilco, but then, it was Wilco! Still pinching myself... PLEASE post your photos from this show if you have good ones - we couldn't use flash and my camera wasn't up to the task, but I would LOVE to see some shots from this show I'll always remember...

What an outstanding show this was!

I haven't come close to reading this entire post yet, but I just have to say that paragraphs are great things... :pirate

Glad you had a good time, though. And I admire the enthusiasm. :thumbup

"I hate to be a stickler, but the song is called "Reservations," not "No Reservations." That's not nearly as bad as the super-fan who in another post called "Impossible Germany" - "Incredible Germany." It's all good."

Sounds like you quite enjoy being a stickler. ;)

Post edited to avoid more ridicule. For some reason I had Husker Du's "No Reservations" on my mind. I guess "Impossible Germany" is pretty incredible, so I could see that sort of mistake happening.

I liked the sound too, though it seemed to me that as the guitars got louder the vocals weren't dialed up enough to compete. I couldn't hear much of John's or Pat's backup vocals, which always sound so good. Overall the mix was really tight though, and I was glad the keyboards cut through as well as they did.

"I haven't come close to reading this entire post yet, but I just have to say that paragraphs are great things... "

(I'm blushing.) I'm sorry. It was a stream of consciousness...

"Glad you had a good time, though. And I admire the enthusiasm. "

It's hard NOT to be enthusiastic!

Oh, I will agree with the person who said vox mic could be hotter, but overall, yeah, excellent sound. Grizzly's sound left a little to be desired (this is often typical of openers because it's primarily set for the headliner), but they did a fine job with their variety of instruments. And the auditorium was quite pleasant to be in, as well.

Just to join in on the stickling, the name of the song is spiders, not kidsmoke.

So, I just got off the phone with another friend at the show who informed me as he was in the lobby about 3 songs before the end to use the bathroom, he overheard security/usher types bragging of how they got people to sit down who were standing. He questioned them as to why they would do that at a rock show to which they replied 'because it's a seated venue'. My friend told them that was ridiculous and the punk kid employee said "you don't have to come to shows here". He walked away stunned.

I certainly won't be returning to Centennial hall though I may make a futile phone call. The band hasn't played in Tucson in 14 years so skipping a show based on a venue choice isn't an easy thing to do. I haven't heard any other stories of security asking people to sit so hopefully most folks weren't affected but between fans asking other fans to sit and security doing the same it's not wonder the crowd was a dud. I heard lots of pretentious chatter as well. People complaining about Grizzly Bear calling them a rip off and saying their songs were incomplete thoughts. I heard the typical annoying wilco fans literally whining after the show about how the set list was awful and the worst they had heard. I felt like I was in the twilight zone, it all sounded really fucking great and I enjoyed it all. Hopefully next time they do Phoenix or Flagstaff. The best Wilco show I ever saw was in Tempe with Calexico opening back in 2005. (not sure where the guy got his facts about 04 being the last time they played the phoenix area, maybe cuz it was in Tempe?). That show was incredible, right behind it would be night 1 of the Winter Residency. anyway, I was prepared for a crappy crowd but they went beyond what I expected.

they were amazing in el paso and the crowd was on it's feet from the first song through the end. reserved seats, but no one used them. maybe that's why tweedy said the crowd was "AWESOME." el paso, who knew? i drove 800 miles to get there, worth every inch of every mile.

"The best Wilco show I ever saw was in Tempe with Calexico opening back in 2005. (not sure where the guy got his facts about 04 being the last time they played the phoenix area, maybe cuz it was in Tempe?)."

That guy is a girl, and I got my facts from WilcoBase, I must be wrong.

And stickle away - I don't care if I call it kidsmoke - it's the subtitle, after all.

The ushers were probably following orders. I'm an usher at Mesa Arts Center, and we have to do what they ask, though they don't ask us to have people sit at rock shows! In fact, I feel bad when we have rock shows and people don't stand! But, anyway, I'm not surprised the fans were livelier in El Paso - AZ in general is a place where the audience is a little more dead. I live in AZ, via Chicago (I'm from there) and some cities just know how to act, but then, we're judging how someone "should act," I guess...

PLEASE post your photos from this show if you have good ones - we couldn't use flash and my camera wasn't up to the task, but I would LOVE to see some shots from this show I'll always remember...

My brother had a photo pass, so he should have some photos together soon. He was the big guy who looked like a bear up front. He also got 75% of BBN from the front before the security lady came over and snagged him. Didn't get the screaming. :(

@: 229someday. I guess you met my brother, not me. I was two seats over. Every time I tried to introduce myself, somebody jumped in. I guess you famous around there. I think we had killer seats! How about that security guard sleeping right in front of us? Ha.

I asked John why they don't come to the Phoenix area more often and he said it's an odd city as far as fans. He related it to Miami. They don't get any radio play, so not a lot of people know them. I assured him if they came, they would have a ton of fans at the show.

Sandy, my apologies. I try to type and respond quickly and I end up being an ass, so i'm sorry you are correct as well, the show I was talking about with Calexico was in November of 2004. They played Flagstaff in April 2005 right around the time of the Coachella gig. Anyway I didn't mean to offend and I understand I was coming across dickish and I apologize, since you work at the Mesa arts does that mean you will be at the Sunvolt/Cowboy Junies show there in a few weeks or so? I'm still considering that one and haven't made up my mind. The crowd in Tempe at the Marquee is usually decent and that show in 2004 was awesome and had people dancing, Jeff was in a great mood announcing his sobriety and his sister was in attendance, I even met a few people from this message board before the show and had some drinks, a married couple from Texas and a taper. Hell, the crowd at the Rialto in Tucson is usually awesome, I blame the venue mostly and the snobs that wanted to set secondary. Hopefully the band didn't decide with this show that coming to AZ every 4 years is too much since most were unappreciative and didn't know how or want to rock.

Lots of great points already made. I also doubt I'll attend another show at Centennial Hall. I understand no smoking and no beer (on a University Campus), but really no concessions at all? I thought the building killed the vibe moreso than the actual people. I was in the balcony where the seat are way too cramped, don't angle toward the stage, and are stacked in such a way that everyone will get kicked in the back of the head at least once by the people behind them. Also, it was really hot in there, at least where I was. Still, I had no chatterboxes and no phone calls in my section, so listening wasn't a problem.

Everyone I talked to was loving the show, but no one wanted to be "that guy" who stands up first and won't sit down. Overall, I thought most folks appreciated the music (including Grizzly Bear), but just weren't up to speed on the live participation. The handclaps, the scream response, the singalong for "Hummingbird" those were a little embarrasing, but as Jeff said, they haven't been here in 14 years.

Personal highlights - Jeff's story about going to junior high in Tucson about which he doesn't remember much but a guy named Boots(?) who gave him punk rock records. Also, "Hotel Arizona," not sure why that surprised me, but it did. "Via Chicago" was mindblowing as was everything that followed in the main set. Oh, and just about every Nels solo.

The sound was good, the band was on, everybody I talked to had a good time, but man that venue sucked for a rock show.

Hi Zebra and all our Wilco pals - waiting to hear from my step-daughter who attended - a Dead Head and did not know Wilco well (aging me for sure)!. Anyhow, Rick and I have been at a couple of shows with venue insisting on symphonay behavior, which sucks. But great to hear Wilco fans REBEL. We saw a shgw in VT where they actually told people that dancing was not allowed, no standing up etc. and the entire group stood and danced whole show -TWAS pretty funny. I told Michael J after another show, and he was LOL about it.

I wish I had been able to go - wanted to badly, but could not - really looking forward to pix !!!! Sounds like it was a gr4eat show

Thanx for the thread!

L