Jeff Tweedy/ Neil Young Album Parallels

Maybe this has already been discussed, and I'm in no way saying the two are exactly the same. But I think it is interesting that there is an album parallel somewhat:

Buffalo Springfield-Uncle Tupelo (both were very influential despite putting out only a few albums and existing a short period of time)

Neil young-A.M. (werent reviewed very well although both have their defenders)

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere-Being There (the "breakthrough" where people start to take notice, also where both find their "partners", Crazy Horse and Jay Bennett)

After The Goldrush-Summerteeth

Harvest-YHF(the most successful albums either have had thus far, the ones they're both most remembered for)

Tonight's the Night-A Ghost is Born (both are the "ditch" albums, made amid troubles yet some consider them the best albums)

On the Beach-Sky Blue Sky(this is where the comparison weakens I'll admit)

So that makes the new album "Zuma" , which I can deal with. Also the Golden Smog work is similar to CSNY.

So does that make "Kicking Television" the equivalent of "Time Fades Away"? :shifty

And what of Journey Through the Past?

It's an interesting thought, though --- particularly since both of them had major falling outs with record companies (wrong decade, though). Of course, if the years hold true, that would mean that we're due for Wilco's foray into vocoders in about 2016.

So does that make "Kicking Television" the equivalent of "Time Fades Away"? :shifty

And what of Journey Through the Past?

It's an interesting thought, though --- particularly since both of them had major falling outs with record companies (wrong decade, though). Of course, if the years hold true, that would mean that we're due for Wilco's foray into vocoders in about 2016.

I thought your theory would be more along the line of following ones muse no matter how it negatively impacts relationships.

Journey Through the Past=Chelsea Walls

Sure they are drastically different films yet the soundtracks are similar; a mixture of fully fleshed out songs('Soldier' or 'Promising') and soundbytes from the movie/ other stuff. Also I know "Journey" was Neil's project while "Walls" was not Jeff's project, but I think the case can be made that they both represent the artist at a crucial point in their career, trying to decide whether to stay on their current path,(ie-Neil and his "Harvest" sound, or Jeff just meeting Glenn), or to "follow their muse" (as stated above).

Time Fades Away does not equal Kicking Television though.

Also Loose Fur doesnt fit much and neither does the Mermaid Avenue stuff.

Nils=Nels

Discuss

Haha, great shout!

Has to be said, Nils is one of the very best I've ever seen live, both with the E Street band, and solo. Was lucky enough to catch him many years ago on a solo acoustic jaunt and I still to this day wonder how he played the way he did, absolutely spellbinding! Was lucky enoughto meet him and ask how he did it at the time and he said to "just believe"...think there's a bit more to it than that! :)

I think there are interesting parallels to be made here (willingness to experiment, beautiful vocal hooks, that ragged lead guitar), but the album thing doesn't work so well. Pretty much none of your matches work for me from a stylistic or career-impact perspective. The only one I like at all is Tonight's the Night and AGiB -- but even there, AGiB really wasn't much of a departure from YHF. Nothing like TtN's place in Young's career.

Nels-Nils!

Was thinking about that at Bonnaroo, since Wilco went on before Bruce. I was hoping either Bruce would bring out Nels or Wilco would bring out Nils. Both amazing guitar players and not totally dissimilar.

I agree with a lot of this.

Uncle Tupelo = Buffalo Springfield

AM = Neil Young

Being There = Everybody Knows this is Nowhere

Summerteeth = After the Gold Rush (Candyfloss = Cripple Creek Fairy? That last, incredibly enjoyable song??)

YHF = Harvest

Golden Smog = CSNY

But that's where the parallel ends, I thinks!