I think I have a new favorite album for 2009. "O! Grace" and "Shiloh" are favorites off hand, but I love every song on this record so far.

My grandmother's name is Josephine. I think of her every time the name pops up throughout the album. Not sure if that's a good thing or not!

Heard this when I was in a record store up in Traverse City last week.

Sounded excellent and we wound up buying their first album as a result. (Neither me nor my wife had ever heard them before and we both loved it.) We'll probably buy the new one when we can.

EDIT: Downloaded both songs available at their site. (Yeah, there's 2 available now.)

Love it, and they are already selling vinyl and CD on tour. As per usual, the songs rock the fuck out live and are a perfect compliment to the album. There is a documentary on the making of the album which was very interesting and will hopefully get a few more screenings out there. I highly recommend downloading a live show from the tour as soon as they surface.

Anyone else think An Arrow in the Gale is one of the coolest songs Molina has ever penned? Love that guitar bit...

Love it. Part of me wishes the track was just a wee bit longer, but I suppose it might not have the same impact if stretched out over more than a minute and a half.

Love it. Part of me wishes the track was just a wee bit longer, but I suppose it might not have the same impact if stretched out over more than a minute and a half.

I feel the same way. Reminds me of when I first heard "Her Majesty". But I think the shortness of it is part of the charm.

I don't know about you guys but I only buy my records on vinyl these days. However, for birthdays and what not my family always gets me iTunes gift cards and I never know what to buy with it. Well, iTunes has four bonus tracks up which sound pretty good to my ears..... if you want some more!

Bought this on vinyl at Pitchfork from the label. Have yet to iisten to it. Nice they threw in the download, now I just have to get around to downloading it and a new iPod.

LouieB

Bought this on vinyl at Pitchfork from the label. Have yet to iisten to it. Nice they threw in the download, now I just have to get around to downloading it and a new iPod.

LouieB

i remember a few years ago that you relented and bought an ipod. did that one break? just curious. i guess they are a necessary evil these days:)

i remember a few years ago that you relented and bought an ipod. did that one break? just curious. i guess they are a necessary evil these days:)

I had a first generation nano which I was very fond of (black, square case) and used a moderate amount. The circular thingy stopped working several months ago and I have not replaced it, but I intend to buy another nano, which will have plenty of room for me, when I get a chance. Even nanos have a huge number of songs on them and I am not interested in other stuff except podcasts

LouieB

I had a first generation nano which I was very fond of (black, square case) and used a moderate amount. The circular thingy stopped working several months ago and I have not replaced it, but I intend to buy another nano, which will have plenty of room for me, when I get a chance. Even nanos have a huge number of songs on them and I am not interested in other stuff except podcasts

LouieB

yeah, i want a nano too. i have a 5th gen classic and it is way to big!

concerning magnolia, i don't agree with pfork, but i do find it interesting that jason has recorded 6 other albums!

• 3 months later...

Dudes!!! You dudes!!!

Molina and the boys have recorded a Day Trotter session, and yes... it is all sorts of good! Two new songs included and new arrangements of Dark Don't Hide It and entirely unrecognizable version of Trouble In Mind. Plus a medley of An Arrow in the Gale and Josephine! :thumbup

http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/magnolia-electric-co-concert/20030931-37382065.html

One of those six albums is coming out soon, Molina & Johnson! You can download a song now. I'm about to pre-order.

http://www.secretlycanadian.com/onesheet.php?cat=SC195

Dudes!!! You dudes!!!

Molina and the boys have recorded a Day Trotter session, and yes... it is all sorts of good! Two new songs included and new arrangements of Dark Don't Hide It and entirely unrecognizable version of Trouble In Mind. Plus a medley of An Arrow in the Gale and Josephine! :thumbup

http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/magnolia-electric-co-concert/20030931-37382065.html

One of those six albums is coming out soon, Molina & Johnson! You can download a song now. I'm about to pre-order.

http://www.secretlycanadian.com/onesheet.php?cat=SC195

thanks for this. i go back and forth it these guys, but the truth just continues to reveal itself. molina is up there with farrar and tweedy. cant wait to check this out!

Damn, I have a vinyl copy of Josephine with a download that I have not yet listened to and I can't find it my stack of not yet listened to LPs. Do you think I have too many? Gotta look again, this is stupid.

LouieB

Damn, I have a vinyl copy of Josephine with a download that I have not yet listened to and I can't find it my stack of not yet listened to LPs. Do you think I have too many? Gotta look again, this is stupid.

LouieB

having skimmed this thread this morning, i think this is your second confession of not listening to this yet :)

having skimmed this thread this morning, i think this is your second confession of not listening to this yet :)

It is....

After confessing once I went looking for it, couldn't find it, then was talking about the NEW Jsson Molina and Will Johnston (of Centromatic since when I heard people talking about it heard Will Oldham) and I am interested in that, but can't justify buying a second Molina until I have listened to the first and went looking for it again and STILL can't find it. Gotta do a full court press. Next time I will have listened to it and venture and opinion. Considering I bought it at Pitchfork (from the label itself), it is pretty lame that I have not listened to it at all yet, or tried to give the download to Rosie.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found my LP of this and gave it a listen. Very pleasant stuff with a bit of a Chicago twist here and there. I like Molina for being so forthright and lacking any pretence of irony. The songs are well recorded with vocals upfront and center, so that the words are easily understandable. (Not so true of the actual lyric sheet which even in the LP is unreadable...!!) I think this is his major strength actually, since some of the material on the second side (or second half if you only have the CD) doesn't change up very much and begins to sound pretty similar. I don't have any real desire to download the mp3s, since the LP will be played whenever I am in the mood.I really do like his stripped down style and non-pretention.

Good stuff mostly.

LouieB

• 5 months later...

the documentary of making Josephine. it's very cool. i'd love to see wilco do one of these. molina really has some easy going dudes playing with him. they all just roll with his vibe. cool to see steve albini too.