Searched but saw no mention of this... figured some of you were into Molina's work.

Josephine will by released by Secretly Canadian on July 21st, 2009.

O! Grace

Rock of Ages

Josephine

Shenandoah

Whip-poor-will

There Will Always be a West (Song for Willie)

Hope Dies Last

The Handing Down

Map of the Falling Sky

Little Sad Eyes

Ten Paces

Knoxville Girl

Shiloh

An Arrow In the Gale

You can hear "Whip-poor-will" here.

You can download the title track, "Josephine" here.

There will also be a film released, a documentary "making of". I don't know if it's being packaged with the album or not. You can view the trailer here.

Has been it heavy rotation for me since it leaked a couple of days ago. Horizons.... Crossroads.... Ghosts.... Devils. A very strong addition to the impressive Molina catalog.

from the snips i've heard, this sounds incredible. jason has really tamed his voice(which is neither here nor there btw). really looking forward to this. anyone get the record store day ep? it looks good too.

man, what a summer...NY archives, new phish, new wilco, new son volt, new patterson hood, new MEC...not to mention, flaming lips coming up too!!

man, what a summer...NY archives, new phish, new wilco, new son volt, new patterson hood, new MEC...not to mention, flaming lips coming up too!!

Agreed. Well, except for the Phish and Flaming Lips part. ;) I'm warming up to the NYA. I'm definitely more excited about the next installment, but this is a nice collection of Neil that fills in some of the blanks and upgrades the audio quality of much of the "unreleased" material I'd accumulated over the years. I'm puzzled by how much previously-released material is included, but what are you going to do? Murdering Oscar, while sounding very much like an extension of the Truckers catalog, is a very strong album. I'm obsessed with American Central Dust. Thus far, it's the best thing I've heard this year. Josephine is quickly rising to the top of this year's albums. It's a very, very strong Molina offering. Stylistically diverse, with more of the excellent songwriting you've come to expect from Jason. I'll let you judge the production Rider. ;) The new Wilco I'm hot and cold with. There are some amazing songs on it (One Wing and Black Bull Nova immediately come to mind), but I don't find myself aching to listen to it all that often. Well, that's my long-winded way of agreeing with you Rider. A good musical summer indeed.

Agreed. Well, except for the Phish and Flaming Lips part. ;) I'm warming up to the NYA. I'm definitely more excited about the next installment, but this is a nice collection of Neil that fills in some of the blanks and upgrades the audio quality of much of the "unreleased" material I'd accumulated over the years. I'm puzzled by how much previously-released material is included, but what are you going to do? Murdering Oscar, while sounding very much like an extension of the Truckers catalog, is a very strong album. I'm obsessed with American Central Dust. Thus far, it's the best thing I've heard this year. Josephine is quickly rising to the top of this year's albums. It's a very, very strong Molina offering. Stylistically diverse, with more of the excellent songwriting you've come to expect from Jason. I'll let you judge the production Rider. ;) The new Wilco I'm hot and cold with. There are some amazing songs on it (One Wing and Black Bull Nova immediately come to mind), but I don't find myself aching to listen to it all that often. Well, that's my long-winded way of agreeing with you Rider. A good musical summer indeed.

right on cortez! i downloaded the leaks of the new son volt and wilco, but only sampled. i could tell they would be amazing, so i deleted. waiting for the street date. can't wait to see the magnolia documentary as well. the trailer looks cool. molina seems like a real character. i'm also looking forward to the jim james ep. i'm hot and cold with them.

it's funny, usually all the good shit comes out in spring or fall. summer seems to be the new time for release of good music.

as far as the archives go, i'm just downloading bits and pieces. there are about 10 great moments including the bad fog and jttp studio tracks with the stray gators. one thing i was really excited about was the remastered albums. the debut sounds so good. really happy to have that.

now, if gillian welch would just release some new material.

peace

You guys are getting me so excited for this record!!!

Agreed about the music coming out this summer, I haven't had records come out by bands I really like in ages but now they're all coming out at once :)

Agreed about the music coming out this summer, I haven't had records come out by bands I really like in ages but now they're all coming out at once :)

yeah, it's like feast or famine. i'm gonna try to pace it so i don't have a dry spell come winter;)

flaming lips coming up too!!

I have to say that I am very disappointed in the 3 tracks from the new record that are out there.

we can't forget the new levon helm too!!

I have to say that I am very disappointed in the 3 tracks from the new record that are out there.

that's too bad. i haven't heard them.

Me too. :)

for me, this album seems like my idea of magnolia electric co and it's reality have totally come together. i find that i like the 'idea' of several bands/artists, but their music doesn't move my soul. jason almost nailed it for me with nashville moon. this is an amazing follow up. hopefully they'll get some more publicity and some bigger, nicer venues rather than the dives i've seen them at:)

craig

definitely one of the best records of the year, some of these songs are just so damn beautiful it kinda hurts.

:yes

I listened to this and Ghost Tropic cross country over the weekend. Perfect soundscape to the wide moody skies above Missouri.

and the only bridge I haven't burned is the one I'm standing on...

:yes

I listened to this and Ghost Tropic cross country over the weekend. Perfect soundscape to the wide moody skies above Missouri.

and the only bridge I haven't burned is the one I'm standing on...

ahhh, the midwest. i live in the south, but i miss ohio sometimes. seems like all my problems would be solved if i moved back:)

ahhh, the midwest. i live in the south, but i miss ohio sometimes. seems like all my problems would be solved if i moved back:)

Oddly I arrived at a very similar conclusion while I was there.

I pre-ordered the LP last night and was surprised/excited to find out I would get an immediate download of Josephine + It's Made Me Cry. What a great deal!

I'm listening to the EP right now for the first time and liking what I hear.

Oddly I arrived at a very similar conclusion while I was there.

for me, it may have to do with family. however, i really feel like a midwesterner. laid back, into all different types of music, etc. will probably end up back there at some point. flat lands and endless highways that either lead to indiana or ohio:)

I never got the EP download from my preorder :(

Really good album even on first few listens. O! Grace is my favorite Molina opening track since The Black Crow. Every time I hear that chorus it kills me. Too good.

I love the full band version of Shiloh. I saw them play it as a full-band song in concert before I got my boxset and heard the acoustic version, and for some reason the acoustic version just never felt right to me.

What I really like is how Molina and the boys didn't feel obligated to "rock out" on this record, I wonder how much of that is in response to the Crazy Horse comparisons?

To me this feels like the record Jason has been trying to make since after the self titled Magnolia record.

It's funny seeing you guys write about how Jason's music is such a great sound scape to certain areas. Me, I always felt like a lot of his work connected with mountainous forests of British Columbia and western Alberta :)

What I really like is how Molina and the boys didn't feel obligated to "rock out" on this record, I wonder how much of that is in response to the Crazy Horse comparisons?

To me this feels like the record Jason has been trying to make since after the self titled Magnolia record.

The irony being most of his records don't rock out. I don't think he helped matters by breaking into "Tonight's the Night" and "Out on the Weekend" on Trials and Errors.

My favorite song on the new album is the one where he does rock out - "The Handing Down." That said, I think the whole album is very good.

I never got the EP download from my preorder :(

Really good album even on first few listens. O! Grace is my favorite Molina opening track since The Black Crow. Every time I hear that chorus it kills me. Too good.

I love the full band version of Shiloh. I saw them play it as a full-band song in concert before I got my boxset and heard the acoustic version, and for some reason the acoustic version just never felt right to me.

It's funny seeing you guys write about how Jason's music is such a great sound scape to certain areas. Me, I always felt like a lot of his work connected with mountainous forests of British Columbia and western Alberta :)

pyramid electric co. works well on a rainy, hot, summer night in georgia:)

i'm with you on shiloh. i'm glad to see jason revisiting some older songs like shiloh and whiporwill(sp), rather than chucking them.