Wilco -- 6/30/09, Jacksonville, OR

Where was Wilco on the day their new record came out? As it turned out, a small town in southern Oregon with a neat little outdoor amphitheater. Early on, Jeff said, "Welcome to our backyard. I mean, your backyard." That was kind of the feel of the show, for better or worse. B)

I was curious whether, on record release day, the band might play a couple more songs from the new album or debut one they haven't played live yet. They wound up playing six songs off Wilco (the album), over half of it, which might be the most in a single show so far. Jeff only made one comment about it being the day of the release (although he did come on stage carrying Wilco (the tote) and held up the vinyl at one point), saying the record just "came out today and it's already beating Thriller" and then, trailing off, "on iTunes, in the last couple of minutes." ;)

Seemed like the venue curfew was at 10:30 p.m. Via Chicago was also on the printed setlist, as the first song of the first encore, but not played. And there were two encores listed, but ultimately they just decided to play the one long one.

Here was the complete setlist:

--"The Price is Right" theme music intro--

Wilco (the song)

Deeper Down

IATTBYH

Muzzle of Bees

Bull Black Nova

You Are My Face

One Wing

A Shot in the Arm

Remember the Mountain Bed

Impossible Germany

Jesus, etc.

Sonny Feeling

You Never Know

Handshake Drugs

Poor Places>

Reservations>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Hummingbird

------------------

The Late Greats

Hate It Here

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Heavy Metal Drummer

Kingpin ("livin' in...Oregon")

I'm A Wheel

this has nothing to do with anything other than i just noticed that i joined this board on July 1, 2003 - exactly 6 years ago today...huh...kinda kewl.

haven't really added anything of substance to it but been lurkin none the less....

Jeff also commented that this was the best smelling crowd he had ever been around. I believe he described it as a mixture of pine, mulch and barkdust. Although from where I was standing it smelled like a different "weed" altogether...

As a native southern Oregonian I was a bit surprised to see Wilco on the Britt schedule this year. Usually bands that play in Jacksonville aren't quite as relevant, rarely would you see a band that has just released a new album play the Britt fest. Although I see that Andrew Bird is going to be there in a few weeks as well so maybe they're working on adding some younger, modern bands to the lineup which is cool. It's a great venue, especially with the rare encouragement to bring in your own food/drink and picnic on the beautiful wooded grounds during the show.

The crowd seemed a bit subdued for the first few songs, but from what I could tell things started to pick up a bit during Impossible Germany. Mr. Cline's mastery got a mid song ovation and everybody seemed to be on their feet for the remainder of the show. Not too many of the setlist surprises that've been seen prior on the this tour, but still a wonderful band at the peak of their live prowess providing a great soundtrack to a beautiful Rogue Valley night.

My wife and I have been to 10-15 Wilco/Tweedy shows over the last 10 years and like clockwork, we always get a Remember The Mountain Bed, which happens to be my wife's favorite Wilco tune. :wub So thanks again for being consistent guys, we appreciate it! :D

Your wife must be lucky, because that's the first time "Mountainbed" has been played on this tour.

Your wife must be lucky, because that's the first time "Mountainbed" has been played on this tour.

We got it in Saratoga too. I thought for sure it would make the setlist in Lake Tahoe, but other, more literal choices prevailed.

Great setlist!!!

Looking forward to Brooklyn>Wappinger's which is the only little run I will be making. First show for me in my hometown!!! Can't beat that - and I'm closing on my new home the next day! Then all the good moving stuff and before I know it - upstate to catch my second show! On top of all of this, I'm off of work until Sept. 8th! (teacher)!

Needless to say - a great summer!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Where was Wilco on the day their new record came out? As it turned out, a small town in southern Oregon with a neat little outdoor amphitheater. Early on, Jeff said, "Welcome to our backyard. I mean, your backyard." That was kind of the feel of the show, for better or worse. B)

Thanks for the report. My wife & I went back and forth on making the road trip from Portland or not. Given that it was a Tuesday and I had to work at 6am Wednesday, it was not too feasible so we decided to pass this time around. I'm hoping they swing back through Oregon again next year like they did for the SBS tour.