Things to do in Louisville

Spawn and I are on the road to Louisville for a race weekend. Any suggestions on places to go, things to do or eat (that kid loves to eat)?

E-Sue suggested Lynn's Paradise Cafe. Anything else we should be should to do while there for a few days?

The Lackeys took me to Ramsi's. Huge menu, cool place in a cool neighborhood.

The Louisville Slugger factory has a tour, which I didn't get a chance to do, but it looked pretty good (I know that Reni has done it recently, maybe Graham could get her to chime in here). Just a couple of blocks from that is the Muhammed Ali Center, which was really interesting.

I stayed down near the convention center, which has a weird "Fourth Street Live!" restaurant/entertainment district, so you'd have no trouble finding a restaurant there, but it could very well be at the price of your soul. Other than that, though, there seemed to be stuff going on along the waterfront in that area, and I also just walked a couple of miles up Fourth Street to see some nice older homes, etc.

And that's the "I was a tourist in Louisville for two days" report. :lol

Kaelin's Restaurant claims to have invented the cheeseburger and serves pretty good ones. Last time I was there I went to a more upscale restaurant that was something of a Louisville classic. If I recall it was on Bardstown Rd. or in that (cool, old) neighborhood. I thought the name had dog or cow in it, but google hasn't helped me find it.

If Churchill Downs is still in season, that's a fun place to people watch. You have all classes represented.

My race is actually in Churchill Downs.

Are you going for the night race?

Bardstown Rd.

Frankfort Ave.

Cherokee Park

Keep your eyes open for Jim James.

EarXTacy - Probably one of the best music stores I've ever been to....not saying much though.

The Lackeys took me to Ramsi's. Huge menu, cool place in a cool neighborhood.

The Louisville Slugger factory has a tour, which I didn't get a chance to do, but it looked pretty good (I know that Reni has done it recently, maybe Graham could get her to chime in here). Just a couple of blocks from that is the Muhammed Ali Center, which was really interesting.

I stayed down near the convention center, which has a weird "Fourth Street Live!" restaurant/entertainment district, so you'd have no trouble finding a restaurant there, but it could very well be at the price of your soul. Other than that, though, there seemed to be stuff going on along the waterfront in that area, and I also just walked a couple of miles up Fourth Street to see some nice older homes, etc.

And that's the "I was a tourist in Louisville for two days" report. :lol

gogo we went to Ramsi's. Spawn had the fish tacos and was in all kinds of glory. thanks.

• 4 years later...

A follow-up on this topic to ask which record shops in Louisville are worth checking out. I'm taking a road trip for the Elvis Costello show on Tuesday at the Palace and wanted to hit some shops before the show. I won't have too much time so location is an important factor. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Here's what I found on the RSD site.  http://www.recordstoreday.com/Venues?state=KY

Astro Black Records

Better Days Records East
Better Days Records West
Guestroom Records 
Matt Anthony's Record Shop
Modern Cult Records
Please & Thank You
The Great Escape
Underground Sounds

Since this thread started in 2009, I believe Ear-XTacy closed, and so did Lynn's Paradise Cafe.  Two of my go-to spots in Louisville!  :(

However - this most fabulous coffee shop is still alive:  Highland Coffee on Bardstown Rd.    "Hair-Raser" dark roast is awesome.