The Washington Post is selling access to its reporters

From Politico -

For $25,000 to $250,000, The Washington Post is offering lobbyists and association executives off-the-record, nonconfrontational access to "those powerful few" — Obama administration officials, members of Congress, and the paper’s own reporters and editors.

The astonishing offer is detailed in a flier circulated Wednesday to a health care lobbyist, who provided it to a reporter because the lobbyist said he feels it’s a conflict for the paper to charge for access to, as the flier says, its “health care reporting and editorial staff."

The offer — which essentially turns a news organization into a facilitator for private lobbyist-official encounters — is a new sign of the lengths to which news organizations will go to find revenue at a time when most newspapers are struggling for survival.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/24441.html#ixzz0K71f2vHp&C

If they're going to sell out their integrity, why don't they just go the traditional route and write stories about girls with big tits?

They should just put the Jonas brothers on the cover every other day, seems to be working for Rolling Stone.

OK, but I'm not taking my pants off. And no kissing.

it is the washington post, this does not surprise me. they're desperate. and if they did write nothing but articles about girls with big tits, everyone would still be disappointed and not subscribe because it would be full of typos and grammatical errors and the articles would end up being about girls with wig tots.

Guest Speed Racer

it is the washington post, this does not surprise me. they're desperate. and if they did write nothing but articles about girls with big tits, everyone would still be disappointed and not subscribe because it would be full of typos and grammatical errors and the articles would end up being about girls with wig tots.

Haha, this is the fourth or fifth time you've written something about not liking the Post. I read it daily, and have for about eight years, though I've never lived in the area (like, the whole thing - I've texted my sister more than once about Metro delays on her route that she didn't know about). And I love it. Granted, I'm mostly interested in the online-only features (love the chats and blogs), but is the print edition grossly worse than the website?

The post has said that this practice will not happen and that the memo went out from a business unit and had not been properly vetted. Regardless of it occuring or not it makes me wonder about the press as a whole and are they for sale? Or is this a nnew novel idea thought up a the post soemtime this last week? Somehow I think this practice is far more prevelant than we would like.

Washington Times is a Moonie paper!

Washington Times is a Moonie paper!

So true.

I read the post online everyday. Used to read the print edition. Over the past 10 years there has been a steady decline in its use of proper grammar, overall writing quality, and investigative reporting. I will continue to read it, but will also continue to be annoyed by its ego which has contributed greatly to its overall decline. I also have friends that work for the Post and have an inside scoop on some philosophy to business practices which makes me biased. Again, though, I still read it everyday and find it somewhat informative. Bad grammar by people that are supposed to be experts will always annoy me. If I read another paper and they did the same thing, I would be snarky about that paper as well. :)