No Depression Archives

• 5 years later...

Hard to believe it has been that long:

Notes from ND

Twenty years ago, a music magazine was born in the rainy hills of Seattle. That a music publication should rise from mid-1990s Seattle music aficionados was no surprise – the city had become famous for its grunge scene by then. But this little quarterly that could was created to champion something completely different. It started out hell-bent on preserving and discussing alt-country (whatever that was), but quickly evolved into something that would define what we’re now calling roots/Americana. During its 13 years in print, No Depression covered everyone from Alison Krauss to Elvis Costello; Nickel Creek to Ralph Stanley; Steve Earle to, well, Justin Townes Earle. In the process, it laid down a foundation we continue to build on (though the method of delivery and the people manning the controls have changed a good bit).

This year we’ll be celebrating our 20th anniversary, all year, with exciting new features on the site (follow along by clicking through anywhere you see the #ND20 badge), and some exciting things that’ll happen away from the internet. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. In the tradition ND’s upheld all these years, before we charge forward, we must first look back.

I still have my stack of No Depression Magazines. And still listen to all those great bands: UT, Wilco, Son Volt, The Jayhawks, Blue Mountain, and The Old 97s - just to name a few.

I have been working on my will lately. I think I put a line in there about such things. No one to really leave anything to at this point though. I figure of most my stuff will end up on the garbage.

Not necessarily the garbage, but making sure someone disposes of it responsibly is a good idea.  At my advanced age and with kids I don't have a will and really should.  So if I suddenly stop posting someday, feel free to line up at my back door.  I have tons of crap that is probably worth something to someone.

LouieB

I have the complete run.  I doubt it is worth that much, but I guess my kids can find out when I am gone.

LouieB

I seriously doubt that Rosie would get rid of 'em. She would LOVE reading them cover to cover!

I have been working on my will lately. I think I put a line in there about such things. No one to really leave anything to at this point though. I figure of most my stuff will end up on the garbage.

I really need to do that as well, Aman. I don't have the ND mags, but DAMN there's probably enough Dead music and books and memorabilia  to last someone a lifetime. My kids don't really care about that stuff. I've thought about seeing if the local library would like a donation. I'd want the music to live on to future generations.

Depressing but sadly realistic. The reason the current vinyl trade is so vibrant is that people are dying/downsizing and there are records on the market that have not seen the light of day in decades.  What is sad is that what was valuable to someone may not really be valuable to those close to them or even to anyone at all.  I have no doubt that many of records in my collection (not to mention books and other ephemera I have) will look like crap to my kids.  If you have ever had a parent or close relative pass, you know what I am talking about.  There is plenty of stuff that was dutifully put away that ends up being trashed.  Now I am depressed too.

LouieB

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I got the new issue in the mail today. It seems quite different from the old magazine. And it is odd to read through a magazine without ads. There is an interview in the new issue with Jay Farrar. I was surprised or maybe not surprised to see he dregs up some story from the past about Jeff again.