The Wilco Sky Blue Sky Album

I just received Wilco (The Album) on vinyl a few weeks ago and am pretty unimpressed with it. There’s about 5 good songs, the rest are either awful (You Never Know, Everlasting Everything) or just plain boring (Country Disappeared, You & I).

I thought pretty much the same about Sky Blue Sky, there are some stinkers on that one too.

If they’d waited a few years, they could have combined the two to make a much better album, here would be my version of The Wilco Sky Blue Sky Album:

1. Either Way

2. You Are My Face

3. Impossible Germany

4. Leave me Like You Found Me

5. Side With The Seeds

6. Hate It Here

7. Dark Neon

8. Deeper Down

9. One Wing

10. Bull Black Nova

11. Solitaire

12. I’ll Fight

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sbs is a pretty peaceful/mellow/non-interpretive/non-experimental album. songs like "i'll fight," "bull black nova," and "dark neon" definitely don't feel like they belong there. especially "bull black nova." i could see "solitaire" (sort of like "please be patient with me") and "deeper down." not sure about "one wing."

i think sbs works perfectly well by itself. in fact, i think the songs are more interconnected than any other wilco album.

I compiled the second-to-last songs on each Wilco album and decided that they comprise what should be their only album so far and it shouldn't even be out yet because it's only seven songs so after four or so more albums that shouldn't have been released we'll finally have the only Wilco album that should exist.

I compiled the second-to-last songs on each Wilco album and decided that they comprise what should be their only album so far and it shouldn't even be out yet because it's only seven songs so after four or so more albums that shouldn't have been released we'll finally have the only Wilco album that should exist.

This is actually their plan, All their records to date are really just singles with lots of B-sides. And as we all know B-sides are the true gems (think the Beatles' "Rain")in anyone's catalog, this is o.k. by me.

By the way, OP, i wouldn't want to be left without "Country Disappeared." I'm confused by the lack of love for this one. I'm comforted only by comparing it to black olives: some people can't stand them which is great because that means more for me.

Long live the drone!

By the way, OP, i wouldn't want to be left without "Country Disappeared." I'm confused by the lack of love for this one. I'm comforted only by comparing it to black olives: some people can't stand them which is great because that means more for me.

Count me as a big fan of this song as well. At first I thought it was a bit boring, but repeated listens have really opened up for me. Love Tweedy's vocal delivery in this song, as they fit perfectly with the lyrics and music.

To go back to the original poster's idea, no, I don't think a single album would have been better. Even though I am not the biggest fan of SBS, the album is very cohesive, and honestly, who am I to say what should and shouldn't be on their albums anyway. If I get to that point I should start making my own music.

im not a fan of mushing songs together off different records to compile a "this should be the record" type of thing.

A mixtape or playlist is something different. a collection of songs put together by the listener.

I dont like messing with the artist's art, this case, the musician's final piece. it fits as they see fit. the original composition.

just my opinion on the matter. no judgment though, put together what you want to simply enjoy the music.

Guest Speed Racer

I dont like messing with the artist's art, this case, the musician's final piece. it fits as they see fit. the original composition.

Amen. I think SBS is a very cohesive album; it just happens to be a very cohesive album I don't care too much for sometimes. Same with W(TA), except for the part where I love it so much I'm wearing out the mp3s.

I'm surprised anyone would start doing surgery on SBS and "Hate It Here" would still make the cut. I thought that was Exhibit A for people who hated the album. But I'm in the opposing camp (SBS boosters), so who cares what I think?

I'm curious about one thing -- I can understand someone believing that SBS's title track does not represent Jeff Tweedy's most adventurous work. But are there people who believe this is not a beautiful song? Not being a wise guy; literally curious.

I love "Country Disappeared." But cannot stand black olives. What does this say about me?

Guest Speed Racer

6. Leave Me (Like You Found Me)

Can someone please explain to me why you would voluntarily listen to this? I'm serious, I'm really confounded. The lyrics are awful, the tune goes nowhere (until the weird bridge that's far too reminiscent of the bridge to "You've Got a Friend" in my opinion), and UGH. It's horrible; this belongs on a Rhett Miller solo effort, not Wilco. Ever.

I love "Country Disappeared." But cannot stand black olives. What does this say about me?

I don't know. I don't like "Country Disappeared" but love black olives.

im not a fan of mushing songs together off different records to compile a "this should be the record" type of thing.

A mixtape or playlist is something different. a collection of songs put together by the listener.

just my opinion on the matter. no judgment though, put together what you want to simply enjoy the music.

ditto! wasted brain function...just enjoy!

Here is what I think is a good and fair review of the album.

From the Ground and Sky website:

"Anybody who was thrilled by the news in late 2004 that experimental guitarist Nels Cline was joining Wilco will inevitably be let down — at least initially — by 2007's Sky Blue Sky, the first Wilco studio album on which Cline has appeared. Spare and direct, minimally produced and often low-key, Sky Blue Sky throws some water on the notion that the band's two previous albums (2002's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and 2004's A Ghost Is Born) plus the subsequent recruitment of Cline portended an imminent stylistic breakthrough. Instead, Sky Blue Sky makes somewhat of a retreat back toward the more conventional sounds of the band's 1990s albums. The dourness that infused much of Yankee and Ghost is still present, though, as is the band's willingness to occasionally finish off a tune with an intense instrumental passage featuring the electric guitars.

The songs don't give a lot away after the first spin or two, and listeners hung up on wondering what the heck happened to Nels Cline will probably latch onto the handful tunes that contain brief snatches of the abrasive mayhem that they had assumed would be more plentiful, and gloss over the rest of the album: we've already heard Wilco do that, right? Maybe yes, maybe no. While it is undeniable that Sky Blue Sky has to be considered a lost opportunity insofar as the use of Cline (who knows how long his partnership with the ever-fickle Jeff Tweedy will last?) a lot of time spent with Sky Blue Sky over the past couple of months has convinced me that it's a very fine album when taken on its own terms. Look too hard for the electric guitars and you'll miss how superbly all of the other diverse textures are deployed. You'll also miss some very good songs which, if not groundbreaking, I think are usually as tuneful and interesting as band's best efforts at similar things on previous albums.

Mostly, Sky Blue Sky is Wilco just sounding like themselves, albeit an earthy, rootsy side of themselves. The band's influences overtly creep in from time to time (for example, "Hate it Here" reminds me of late-period Beatles), but this album is far less cluttered with obvious references to other bands or styles than anything else that Wilco has released; indeed, though the album is thick with the retro sounds that have inspired Tweedy for years, these influences are synthesized into a Wilco idiom as never before.

Even if Sky Blue Sky is not the band's best collection of songs, I don't think that it's as far off as it might at first seem. True, Wilco has — for the moment at least — scaled back their reach and this may be a problem for fans who were turned on to them by their most recent work. Nevertheless, after some early misgivings, Sky Blue Sky sure is giving me lots of listening mileage. I woudn't be surprised if it someday gets the reputation for being Wilco's "underrated" album; their The Who By Numbers or Led Zeppelin III.

That said, I'd still like to hear them do something more adventurous the next time out."

Guest Speed Racer

Jesus Christ.

Oh sweet Jesus yourself, it's an honest question. I said what I didn't like about; how flippin' hard is it to say, "I love the part after the second verse where Nels does that thingie," or "the opening line is awesome"? I honestly want to know why people like the fucking song, and "Because I like it" might be all there is, and that's great, but since it was spared the ax in his ideal track list I'll bet he might have another thing or two to say. And other people might like it, and might want to share. Did it really seem like I was being snarky? Because I wasn't trying to be.

Oh sweet Jesus yourself, it's an honest question. I said what I didn't like about; how flippin' hard is it to say, "I love the part after the second verse where Nels does that thingie," or "the opening line is awesome"? I honestly want to know why people like the fucking song, and "Because I like it" might be all there is, and that's great, but since it was spared the ax in his ideal track list I'll bet he might have another thing or two to say. And other people might like it, and might want to share. Did it really seem like I was being snarky? Because I wasn't trying to be.

When it comes to that song, you can't be snarky enough.

Guest Speed Racer

When it comes to that song, you can't be snarky enough.

Oh, I was very purposefully snarky about the song, which is exactly why my question about why people like it was NOT snarky. Some people honestly think it's great, and I really want to know why.

Oh, I was very purposefully snarky about the song, which is exactly why my question about why people like it was NOT snarky. Some people honestly think it's great, and I really want to know why.

Because.

There's your answer. Seriously.

But what about it?

Besides that Sarah Palin bathes in the nude to that song. :P

I like the simple percussion and wood block (?) beat. There's an eerie sound (Mellotron?) throughout that's almost ghostly. I like the piano and Jeff's bare, whispery voice. It's just a beautiful-sounding song. The lyrics can be interpreted however one wants, but I think of it as a guy in a rut. And not really bothered by that. His girlfriend is as well. She leaves (?). But the end of the song is hopeful...people out in the streets. I assume the guy is gonna get out of his mess.

If that's not a good enough reason, tough!

It's horrible; this belongs on a Rhett Miller solo effort, not Wilco. Ever.

Ha, Rhett Miller solo knock! Awesome!

I like that song though, but I see how others do not.

Besides that Sarah Palin bathes in the nude to that song. :P

I like the ones that she bathes clothed for better.

Guest Speed Racer

Because.

There's your answer. Seriously.

That was unnecessary. Seriously. If you didn't want to answer for yourself, fine, but you didn't have to presume to answer for other people just to stir the pot.

Here is what I think is a good and fair review of the album.

That said, I'd still like to hear them do something more adventurous the next time out."

It's all mindless yammering. I love SBS and its composition. I will agree in that "Leave Me Like You Found" me is a rather terrible song. I am getting sick of hearing Walken live too. But the composition of the album is great. Granted some of the songs, the title track, ought to be reserved for the smaller venues, that doesn't take away from some of the absolutely gems on the album -- YAMF, Impossible Germany, Side With The Seeds. Personally, I think On and On and On is probably the most underrated song on the album, loved it as a closer of the first set on a few of the shows I saw; the song has potential for some epic jamming in the future if they decide to dust it off. But back to the original question, I think it's incredulous to try to combine SBS and W(TA) into the "perfect" wilco album.