The Wilco Sky Blue Sky Album

Jesus Christ.

Nah, Jesus is pretty high maintenance. Being in love with SMT sounds more akin to being in love with your favorite old shoes. It's just simple and comfortable.

And a fine song, IMO. Same for Country. I don't know why Jeff's more "direct" lyrics cause such a ruckus with the cognescenti here. The guy isn't a flake or a simpleton, just a songwriter trying to express or reflect what he sees and feels. Wilco fans seem too self-conscious and uptight about style issues. I enjoy the music for what it is, can't be bothered to argue with hipsters about it.Love it, hate it, whatever. Dissecting everything gets so boring, that belongs on the Dylan boards. It quickly borders on creepy.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In defense of the "just because" camp:

Sometimes I don't know why I like a song. Maybe it just makes me happy (or sad) to hear it, or it reminds me of something that I can't quite put my finger on, and I just like that feeling, and don't want to think about it any more deeply than that. Sometimes I feel like digging deeper might place my feelings about the song on a too-conscious level, and destroy those feelings for me. And so when I'm asked why I like or dislike a particular song, and don't have an immediate answer and don't really want to come up with one, I can get defensive.

That's just me, though. But that's why I have no problem with "I just like it, just because" as an answer. :)

Sometimes I don't know why I like a song. Maybe it just makes me happy (or sad) to hear it, or it reminds me of something that I can't quite put my finger on, and I just like that feeling, and don't want to think about it any more deeply than that. Sometimes I feel like digging deeper might place my feelings about the song on a too-conscious level, and destroy those feelings for me. And so when I'm asked why I like or dislike a particular song, and don't have an immediate answer and don't really want to come up with one, I can get defensive.

That's just me, though. But that's why I have no problem with "I just like it, just because" as an answer. :)

This.

Guest Speed Racer

But that's why I have no problem with "I just like it, just because" as an answer. :)

I do too, and that certainly describes how I feel about a few things in life. My response to JN was too succinct, I think. Some people say "just because" and mean it, and some people have more reasons but don't say them. I really appreciated what folks have had to say (I, too, love the opening of the song and the way Jeff's vocals sound, I just hate the melody and lyrics. :lol )

Leave Me (Like You Found Me) is Wilco's Memory Motel. This revelation should settle things once and for all.

I want to see its long-form birth certificate, please. Why would LM (LYFM) not want to release it? Is it trying to hide the fact that it is not a natural-born Wilco song? Maybe it was born on a Rhett Miller solo album and is therefore ineligible to be president of Sky Blue Sky?

Guest Runaway Jim

I like Leave Me (Like You Found Me). It's not amazing, but it's certainly better to me than quite a few others on SBS. And almost everything on WTA.

As for the "just because" argument, I would have said the same thing. Because I like the song and really don't care if anyone else does or not. And I'm certainly not going to try and defend why I like something to someone who hates that thing. I've done it before, and it sucks, so I'd just leave it as "just because". Or maybe "I like what I like".

But what about it?

fair question.

fair answer.

That was unnecessary. Seriously. If you didn't want to answer for yourself, fine, but you didn't have to presume to answer for other people just to stir the pot.

:unsure

This is a weird reply in every way.

My saying I like a song because I like it is "unnecessary"?

I'm not stirring the pot - you're smoking it.

Guest Speed Racer

:unsure

This is a weird reply in every way.

My saying I like a song because I like it is "unnecessary"?

I'm not stirring the pot - you're smoking it.

:lol Sorry, I misread the question as you answering for JN, not you answering for you. The "There's your answer" threw me off (honestly). Sorry for the overreaction.

:lol Sorry, I misread the question as you answering for JN, not you answering for you. The "There's your answer" threw me off (honestly). Sorry for the overreaction.

I had a feeling something was up! :D

awww, just when it was starting to get interesting.

Sir Stewart disarms people around here all the time. :) It's fantastic.

I just received Wilco (The Album) on vinyl a few weeks ago and am pretty unimpressed with it. There’s about 5 good songs, the rest are either awful (You Never Know, Everlasting Everything) or just plain boring (Country Disappeared, You & I).

I think the best songs on Sky Blue Sky fit alongside the tracks on Loose Fur's Born Again in the USA a little better than with the tracks on WTA. WTA has some flaws, but I think for the most parts the songs are already there on that album. I think a better producer (for some reason Dave Fridmann immediately came to mind), a better mix, and maybe one more really great song as a closer to knock out Everlasting, and I could love that album without hesitation.

As for Born Again in the Sky Blue Sky, of course I'll provide you with a tracklist. I have decided that Jim O'Rourke's songs on USA are in play, this is because I wish he was in Wilco and because Jim O'Rourke is cool.

BAITSBS

1.) Hey Chicken

2.) The Ruling Class

3.) You Are My Face

4.) Answers

5.) Apostolic

6.) Impossible Germany

7.) Sky Blue Sky

8.) An Ecumenical Matter

9.) Thou Shalt Wilt

10.) Wanted

11.) Wreckroom

12.) On and On and On

As for fans screwing around with playlists like this, it's a fun thing to do and I don't necessarily have any problem with someone arranging music in a way more pleasurable to them than the artist's version. I understand artistic vision and such, but then I heard John Hodgman essentially fix The Phantom Menace on This American Life (wow is that reference white enough for you), and now I'm all for fans "saving" projects.

Go to the Jar Jar head chapter

--Mike

OP here, I realise most of you have had this for a few months but as I said I just received it about two weeks ago so I’m still digesting it.

The reason I feel I may make a mix CD of W(TA)-SBS is because I only listen to about half of SBS and I see myself doing the same with W(TA).

With regard to the tracklist, it could change daily. I like Leave Me (Like You Found Me), that’s why I included it in the mix. Country Disappeared may grow on me and be included in the mix. I don’t like Walken, On And On, What Light, that’s why I didn’t put them in the mix. It’s just that simple.

I shudder to think what the leftover mix of SBS-W(TA) would sound like:

Sky Blue Sky

Shake It Off

Please Be Patient With Me

Walken

What Light

On and On

Wilco (The Song)

You And I

You Never Know

Country Disappeared

Sonny Feeling