Bill Clinton to the rescue

Maybe I've missed a thread here, but I am astounded that no one has commented on Bill Clinton's mission to North Korea to secure the release of the two female journalists.

I was stunned that some conservative commentators decided to make a negative out of it. I just can't see how it could be a bad thing for anybody involved ... except possibly conservatives.

Thing is, I don't think it is just conservative commentators. I've been listening to NPR and XMPR, and I was astonished that it appears to be a widely held opinion by those who study the Far East.

Me...I'm glad he got those girls out of that Paranoid state. I don't care if it feeds the impression that seems to be held that the US is a paper tiger. I'm hoping Obama sends Jimmy Carter to talk to Goober in Iran to get those hikers back.

Absolutely happy that the journalists were freed, no question about that - I just have a hard time believing that Pres. Clinton was instrumental in making that happen. The visit was well-orchestrated by the State Dept and I really think Clinton's job was to just stand there for the photo op (and not say anything dumb).

If anything, it kinda makes me wonder why he was chosen to do the job (over Hillary, etc.) - is the Obama admin trying to tap in to the still-sizeable bank of good will that Clinton's built up among the democratic base? Is this a sign of a more active role for the former pres. in the ensuing months (e.g. to become a more active public advocate for the healthcare reform bill)? I guess time will tell.

Bill Clinton is the man! Republics got to give the man some credit. When they always talk about the negatives about Bill the first thing they mention is Monica Lewinsky never a policy or law they disagree with that he started. At least when I talk about things I disliked about Bush I have a canon of things that I didn't like :P

If anything, it kinda makes me wonder why he was chosen to do the job (over Hillary, etc.) - is the Obama admin trying to tap in to the still-sizeable bank of good will that Clinton's built up among the democratic base?

The Obama administartion was tapping into the good will that Bill Clinton had in North Korea.

When I first heard this story I imagined Bill Clinton Rambo style busting into a North Korean jail taking these women out in a hail of gunfire. And naturally having sex with them.

To my disappointment it was just a bunch of old dudes sitting a round a table.

Didn't North Korea specifically ask for Clinton? It's all about making Kim Jong Il feel special and important.

I believe it was Michael Jackson, the newly deceased King of Pop® whose presence Kim had originally requested (demanded). Unfortunately, he was unable to attend…for obvious reasons, well, obvious to us, but not so obvious to the population of North Korea, accustomed as they are to great leaders who, like Kim, can pretty much forgo death – look it in the eye and say, 아니 다른 단어 (not another word).

Clinton volunteered because he was looking to score some “strange”, strange in this case being more than just an unfamiliar woman’s vagina, but also strange in the sense that, let’s just cut the bullshit and just state it plainly, North Koreans really are a little odd.

I believe it was Michael Jackson, the newly deceased King of Pop® whose presence Kim had originally requested (demanded). Unfortunately, he was unable to attend…for obvious reasons, well, obvious to us, but not so obvious to the population of North Korea, accustomed as they are to great leaders who, like Kim, can pretty much forgo death – look it in the eye and say, 아니 다른 단어 (not another word).

Clinton volunteered because he was looking to score some “strange”, strange in this case being more than just an unfamiliar woman’s vagina, but also strange in the sense that, let’s just cut the bullshit and just state it plainly, North Koreans really are a little odd.

Anyone ever look at pictures from Pyongyang? It really looks like another planet.

Flickr Search

Also would anyone want a room at this North Korean hotel?

Ryugyong Hotel in Pyongyang