7 Worlds London

What a great show. Totally worth breaking up my trip for. After queing in the afternoon sun for ages talking the ear off the poor people that were stuck near me, it all turned out to be pointless as if you had to collect a ticket it took FOREVER.

I would like to say Live Nation employees, specifically the stupid cow in the box office, YOU SUCK. Was nearly worthy of missing the concert just to jump in there and bitch slap her. Everyone with a ticket streaming past while she text messaged. Then accused ME of being rude. Pot kettle black bitch.

Anyway, rest of night was great. Doors didn't open at 7.30, they were still doing sound check at 8. Loved distant sun as opener, always a fave. But the absolute highlight was Private Universe with Phil and Glen on drums. Words can't describe it. Neil should kidnap them and make them always play his concerts.

Was great to hear Johns song, it was lovely. Would have been nice to hear him sing that at the Auckland shows. Phil did 2 songs this time, still love Family Madness or whatever name it goes by now. Don't Dream its Over... eh.. just a bit over that.Glenn played on all tracks I think, still love seeing him and Phil drumming together.

Outside the BBC was interviewing people on what they thought of the show. I babbled on a bit, hope none of it makes it to air. Think I might have dissed don't dream its over to them too....

Overall, just a rocking great concert. Have taken some pics, security were nice not like those nazis at the Powerstation.

7 worlds london pics

Thanks so much for the report and photos! I wish so much I could have magically been in London for this show. Sorry to hear about the ticket fiasco - I would not have done well in that situation! :lol

I saw your picture of the setlist - who sang lead on You Never Know?

This is courtesy of the frenz list. I thought I would share it with you here:

Neil & all the Wilco/Radiohead peeps were outstanding! All suffering was absolutely worth it; it was tremendous fun.

Distant Sun

Too Blue

Little By Little

The Ties That Bind Us

Learn to Crawl

Girl, Make Your Own Mind Up

All Comedians Suffer

The Witching Hour

Over and Done

You Never Know

Learn to Crawl (?perhaps?)

Private Universe

I Got You (w/KT Tunstall's hub Luke on drums)

Something (ie George Harrison cover w/guest ukelele-ist or ukeleliarian?)

Don't Dream It's Over

Weather With You

Review in today's edition of the Daily Telegraph (UK).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/live-music-reviews/6016957/Neil-Finns-7-Worlds-Collide-at-Dingwalls-review.html

Nice review and everything - except for this line " two of the less celebrated members of Wilco (drummer Glenn Kotche and bassist John Stirrat)". WTF! wash your mouth out sir...

===========================================================

Neil Finn's 7 Worlds Collide at Dingwalls, review

Members of Wilco and Radiohead joined Neil Finn of Crowded House on stage in one of the most inspiring gigs of the year. Rating: * * * * *

By Neil McCormick

Members of Crowded House, Radiohead and Wilco took to the cramped stage of Dingwalls in Camden on Tuesday in the name of Oxfam. I am not sure if it qualified as a supergroup, more a souped up assortment of under-rehearsed musicians flying by the seat of their pants through a set of unfamiliar material. But the result was one of the warmest, most spontaneous, entertaining and inspiring gigs of the year. So enjoyable, in fact, that even Radiohead were smiling.

Much loved New Zealand troubadour Neil Finn (the mainstay of Crowded House) was in London to launch his latest 7 Worlds Collide charity project. This involves an album, The Sun Came Out, created with a wide ranging collective of musicians (including KT Tunstall, Johnny Marr and Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy) – almost none of whom were available on the night. Two of the less celebrated members of Wilco (drummer Glenn Kotche and bassist John Stirrat) and Radiohead (drummer Phil Selway and guitarist Ed O’Brien) stepped up after what Finn claimed was “a couple of hours rehearsal.” With Finn cheerfully “channelling the spirit” of all the missing vocalists, the band’s edgy but virtuoso performances kept the hot, sweaty venue spellbound.

Everything Finn touches is blessed with juicy chords and classic structure, his voice is innately tuneful and expressive, and his stage presence reassuringly friendly. Initially, the Radiohead contingent seemed clean-cut and constricted compared to Finn and the scruffily relaxed Americans from Wilco, but they visibly loosened up as the gig progressed. O’Brien delighted in being able to let his dexterous fingers get stuck into some old fashioned riffs, while Selway surprised everyone by taking an acoustic guitar front of stage to sing two sweet, sensitive ballads. “It’s fun up here, isn’t it?” Finn teased the drummer. “Now you’ve got a taste for it there’s no going back.”

What they might conceivably get a taste for is Finn’s ebullience; such a marked contrast with their own band leader Thom Yorke’s air of perpetual crisis. Yorke recently announced that Radiohead might never release an album again because the recording process is “such a drag.” Finn, by contrast, orchestrated the writing and recording of a double album in just three weeks, then pulled a sensational show together in an afternoon.

The evening concluded with singalong Finn classics, including a rocky tear through I Got You and an uplifting Don’t Dream It’s Over, in which he conducted the all-singing crowd through a series of improvised chord changes. A ukulele-led take on Beatles classic Something was a ragged delight. “The great thing about tonight is that no matter what happens, we can all go back to our day jobs,” Finn joked. I wonder if the Radiohead chaps will want to.

Review in today's edition of the Daily Telegraph (UK).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/live-music-reviews/6016957/Neil-Finns-7-Worlds-Collide-at-Dingwalls-review.html

Nice review and everything - except for this line " two of the less celebrated members of Wilco (drummer Glenn Kotche and bassist John Stirrat)". WTF! wash your mouth out sir...

Perhaps the interviewer exists in an alternate universe where lunacy prevails.

Beck, you got some terrific photos! :thumbup

Hi there

I took soundcheck pictures of the London 7 Worlds Collide concert last week for a photography project I'm doing - Neil Finn, Ed, Phil, John and Glenn very kindly allowed me to shoot.

The pics can be viewed here:

7 Worlds Collide, London Dingwalls, August 2009

Many more to come over the next few days.

Hope you guys enjoy

Stephen