Probably the most upset I have been with an artists passing. I spent 100's of hours learning how to play his songs. Saw him in concert about 10 times. Met him at the old Stapleton airport in Denver. He was a huge inspiration to me.

I too was a huge fan. Saw SRV every time he came to the area. First time was '84, 4th row seats. He encored with "Lenny" with his legs hanging off the edge of the stage. What a wonderful night.

The last time was at Deer Creek. I think it might have been the show before the final one at Alpine. Joe cocker opened. SRV was playing as good as ever - maybe better.

I miss the guy a hell of a lot. One of the best ever.

I saw him at Alpine Valley, not at his last show but the night before (it was a 2-night stand).

I got back to my room at college to a message on my answering machine from my friend with whom I attended the show. The first one said that there was a 'copter crash and that it was feared that Eric Clapton was dead. The second message, his voice was a little shakier: "Clapton is not dead, but Stevie is."

I fell onto my couch and just sat there for a couple of minutes. Stunned.

Wow, I remember that day. So much time has passed, it's hard to believe. I never got to see SRV. I really should have gone to the Beck/SRV tour when I had the chance. I think I have all of his Austin City Limits appearance on VHS tape. Those performances were highly inspirational to me and my friends/bandmates.

I'm not a good guitar player, but Tuesday night I was playing my guitar and without thinking I came up with a chord sequence that reminded me of "Lenny". Maybe there was something in the air. Hopefully this weekend I can come up with a suitable melody to put on top of those chords.

I had just seen the movie Darkman with my brother when we were driving home and he remarked that 'you never hear this one on the radio' - I think it was 'Couldn't Stand The Weather' - then the DJ relayed the horrible news. VH1 did a nice tribute that night I recall. One of my dormmates the following fall had SRV posters/memorabilia all over his room. He saw the final show. Claimed Stevie was absolutely on fire that night.

I had just started a new job in the Chicago area a couple of weeks earlier and a few of my coworkers had been at that final show. One or two of them hadn't heard the news by the time they arrived at work the next morning.

It was weird, because I was still getting to know these folks. That was a very odd day at the office.

The man sure could play.

He was one of those rare few that seemed to be channeling something otherworldly when he played.

He has no peer.

My daughter's dad was such a fan, we named her Sarah May in part to honor him.

I was in my freshman year of college when I got this news. Live at the El Mocambo is still among the greatest recorded performances ever.

He was no John Mayer, to be sure, but he had the touch.